Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Quick crank pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 04:42 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick crank pulley question

Hey guys, kind of in a bad situation... My crank pulley/harmonic balancer became dislodged from whatever it is connected to down there and now I'm looking to replace the whole thing, on a budget and need it fixed quick...

So my question is whether this crank pulley will solve the issue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-97-TOYOTA-SUPRA-NON-TURBO-LEXUS-GS300-92-00-SC300-UNDERDRIVE-CRANK-PULLEY-KIT-/170738317727?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c0cbf99f&vxp=mtr
My crank pulley or harmonic balancer started to wobble and after ignoring it (wobbling noise)
For a few weeks it eventually gave up and separated from the interior of the pulley, so the piece I have now is just a pulley with a big hole right in the middle where it should be connected to the piece still on my motor.... Car is still running but the engine wobbles the car a bit I assume because the harmonic balancer is no longer there. Does all of this sound characteristic of the problem I think it is and will that eBay pulley work to replace the old one without any extra parts??

Car is 1995 Lexus sc300 automatic.
Old 06-12-13, 05:09 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy the crank pulley from driftmotion since they're good about honoring the Chinese stuff they sell. This would work. Also wouldn't run the car without the dampener at all. It's bad on the bearings, doesn't charge, and will overheat
Old 06-12-13, 05:20 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vrank
I would buy the crank pulley from driftmotion since they're good about honoring the Chinese stuff they sell. This would work. Also wouldn't run the car without the dampener at all. It's bad on the bearings, doesn't charge, and will overheat

Awesome I"ll check that out.. is it this one?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...kpulleyv20.php

So this will replace the whole thing right? Problem solved? It just seemed like what I have that broke is two pieces and this one is one piece. Or is that because mine broke into two pieces ?

It also says it requires a shorter belt? So I need to purchase driftmotions shorter belt to install this? And if i do so will there be any trouble with fitting the shorter belt over any other pulleys?

Thanks for your reply, kind of new to the 2JZ-GE motor and need some guidance.
Old 06-12-13, 05:42 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that will work and will need their belt. Figured the other one would too, which is I why I sent you to dm. Thought they had a stock sized one. Be warned, these pulleys aren't great for the engine. It does nothing for dampening, but it's better than what you have now. As for the belt fitting it will fit like stock
Old 06-12-13, 06:01 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vrank
Yeah, that will work and will need their belt. Figured the other one would too, which is I why I sent you to dm. Thought they had a stock sized one. Be warned, these pulleys aren't great for the engine. It does nothing for dampening, but it's better than what you have now. As for the belt fitting it will fit like stock
Sorry but I highly recommend against these pulleys as they will save you today but you will pay dearly later IE: you will rattle the motor to its grave (harmonics)

If you need a replacement used but good condition damper I have 2 or 3 laying around.
LMK
Old 06-14-13, 09:30 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

do this instead ^ dude is legit
Old 07-01-13, 02:28 AM
jbrandon
Rookie

Here is a good read on why you should replace it with a harmonic pulley (not including the fact that it was engineered for this motor to begin with). Here
Old 07-01-13, 06:10 PM
jbrandon
Rookie

I have an extra one and i'm in the east bay, let me know