Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ-FE Or VVTI 1UZ????? S13 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:38 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 92-94 motors would be the best choice if you plan on boosting, they have thicker rods.

If you wanted strictly N/A the VVTI is more powerful but like some others said it might be more complicated.
Old 05-21-13, 05:14 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
I thought the same thing. It's not like he had some really stupid question.

I would stay away from the vvti, and also go with an earlier motor if you can.

The question wasn't so stupid, but posting it twice was. Also, he posted this same question on multiple forums before he posted it twice here. Which means the same time used to do that where he sat with his thumb in his *** and waited for someone to give him the answer he could have found more than he wanted to know one some of the aussie forums. Plus I'm 99% sure I know who he hangs out with, which I already told about this. You're putting a v8 in a 240. cool. vvti isn't cost effective. In the UZ or JZ. Any of you that have ever dealt with an IS or GS gen2 would understand the hassles of trying to beat the ecu for minimal gains.

LOL@king phillip

ANyone who has dealt with vvti knows it's pretty awesome. For cruising/accelerating at partial throttle. A (stock) vvti car will kick *** if you roll into it from low rpm. If you pin it at the same low rpm, the cam goes to it's pre-determined WOT setting and there is no gain.

Bottom line, all the hassle for a car that is 1500 pounds lighter is pointless, especially since we all know all 240 kids wanna do is play driftemupcrashemup, and partial throttle will most likely never get used anyway.

Last edited by Vrank; 05-21-13 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 05:27 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

OH, and SUPER LOL @ coming to the right place for his swap!!!! C'mon man, none of the people here are swapping in 1uz BECAUSE THEIR CARS ALL CAME WITH THEM!!! Maybe for general maintenance which is a stretch. Anyone that wants swap info for this engine needs to read the aussie boards, they put this engine in everything.

How many of you guys have wired one of these into something else that have answered above? I have, so if not, ****
Old 05-21-13, 05:53 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I won't say much, it looks like your doing an OK job at making yourself look like a douche. I know this is the SC forum, but over in the LS forum we get questions like this once in awhile. I haven't swapped one, but I do know what the motor takes to run, and most of the differences between the vvti and non-vvti motors. If you READ his ad, his main question is asking whats better? So with that said, if you don't feel like answering his post with something useful then don't hit the "REPLY" button! Sounds pretty easy to me.
Old 05-21-13, 08:33 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're gonna leave the motor mostly stock / boltons then get the VVTI, it will have a broader power band (but be slightly more work to hook up, as long as you have the harness/ecu though it shouldnt be a big difference). if you want any forced induction in your future then go with the first get 1uz-fe due to thicker connecting rods. if you want cheaper/simpler, again first gen 1uz-fe will be the ticket.
Old 05-21-13, 01:31 PM
motteram
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice from the people that helped! The motor is going to stay stock so I am picking up a 98 vvti out of a sc400 this weekend. Picking it up for $700 with rebuilt heads and full harness and ecu. So I'm pretty excited about that. Now my only concern is that since I won't have the key. Do you guys have any idea how to get around the immobilizer? I am stuck on this. Can't find anything on Aussie forums about it.
Old 05-21-13, 05:35 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

You spend a bunch of money on a key from lexus. Then you need to wire in the transponder key amplifier somewhere close, as close as possible to your stock key location so you can keep the retarded *** expensive key on your keyring and allow it to work so someone doesn't steal your car as easy as an sr. That's how.

good luck. The vvti 1uz is the perfect choice. Please post progress!

Last edited by Vrank; 05-21-13 at 06:26 PM. Reason: 4DD
Old 05-21-13, 06:30 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I successfully swapped this vvti into my 95 sc400..as long as you have the key,transponder and wire harness everything should be just fine... to get the key,you most likely will need the vin# and or title to get a replacement..