Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ABS Sensor/Speedometer not working 95+

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 09:55 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS Sensor/Speedometer not working 95+

I was working my 95 SC300 and needed to roll it backwards. The driver side abs/speed sensor was hanging and got caught in the wheel. The plug that goes from the body harness to the speed sensor had the wires pulled from it.

I soldered the two wires back together, leaving the plug out. Since then I've had the ABS light and no speedometer. I'm pretty sure I don't have ABS, as I did lock the brakes once on track. Is there any way to test the sensor? I've since swapped a Auto Soarer 1JZ in with a W58 tranny. I hooked the transmission speed sensor up, but I believe it's only used for speed cut so I unhooked it.

Also does anyone know if the cruise control will work with no speedometer? I'd like to know before buying an $80 cable from Toyota.

Thanks!

EDIT: fixed the problem. The wires were stripped inside the insulation. Cut them added more wire and was good to go.

The speedometer is still not working. I'm not sure if it's the needle motor or wiring.

Last edited by fried_rice; 05-08-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 10:44 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where does the speedometer measure speed from? The transmission or the wheel itself?
Old 05-16-13, 08:19 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

I used the transmission speed sensor(right rear of the transmission) to get the speed signal to the gauge cluster. That is how the wiring diagrams show it, the three wires on the NO.1 speed sensor are Yellow( pin 1), Red(pin 2) and Blue/Red(pin 3) of the speed sensor connector. The speedometer signal goes from plug 90980-10921 to the large middle plug (C14) on the cluster with 23 pins.

I spliced the orange plug under the passenger carpet and ran it to the speedometer. I don't know why the signal wasn't getting from there to the cluster, but I just hard wired to be through with it.

Speed sensor diagram for 1JZ, probably roughly the same for sc3,sc4, supra etc.

Pic of the orange body harness plug. Pin 7 is to the speedometer, once again it's blue/red.

Pic of the gauge cluster plug (c14), pin 13 is the speedometer signal once again it's blue/red. This is the big middle plug on the cluster.

Completely edited since I figured the wiring and fixed the problem.

Last edited by fried_rice; 05-25-13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-22-13, 05:31 AM
maarisssa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fried_rice
I used the transmission speed sensor(right rear of the transmission) to get the speed signal to the gauge cluster. That is how the wiring diagrams show it, the three wires on the NO.1 speed sensor are Yellow( pin 1), Red(pin 2) and Blue/Red(pin 3) of the speed sensor connector. The speedometer signal goes from plug 90980-10921 to the large middle plug (C14) on the cluster with 23 pins.

I spliced the orange plug under the passenger carpet and ran it to the speedometer. I don't know why the signal wasn't getting from there to the cluster, but I just hard wired to be through with it.

Speed sensor diagram for 1JZ, probably roughly the same for sc3,sc4, supra etc.

Pic of the orange body harness plug. Pin 7 is to the speedometer, once again it's blue/red.

Pic of the gauge cluster plug (c14), pin 13 is the speedometer signal once again it's blue/red. This is the big middle plug on the cluster.

Completely edited since I figured the wiring and fixed the problem.

Hi fried_rice! I'm a little confused, were you able to get your speedometer working? If so, what did you have to do? Everything in my gauge cluster works except for my speedometer and I cant seem to find the answer to my problem. Just ordered a speed sensor the other day and waiting for that to come in. BUT, I wasn't aware until after I ordered it, that it could be a "transmission speed sensor?" Whats the difference between the two?
Old 06-22-13, 07:46 AM
fried_rice
Pole Position

The "transmission speed sensor" is the same thing as the speed sensor. That is what it was labled on the diagrams. The auto tranny has more than one speed sensor, but only the big sensor on the passenger side is for the speedometer.

I used the diagnostic cable to see if the ECU was reading speed, that verified the speed sensor was working and the signal had made it to the ECU. From there I hard wired the signal from the body plug to the back of the gauge cluster. You could wire it directly from the ecu pin as well.

Alot of people's needles die which is another thing to check unforunately.

Link to diag cable
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ger-found.html
Old 06-22-13, 03:22 PM
maarisssa
Driver School Candidate

okay, i'll wait until my speed sensor comes in to see if just replacing that will get it to work. if not, i'll try looking into getting a new needle. thanks for your help! also, i meant to ask, was it hard to change out your sensor?
Old 12-15-13, 10:30 AM
eblick99
Driver

has anyone just made a custom gauge cluster for their SC? pull out the factory cluster and throw in a universal tach, speedo, water temp, volt, oil press, boost, fuel etc? set em all into a nice polished aluminum bezel? maybe powder coat it to match your interior? you can usually set the odometer to match the actual miles as well. the downside would be lack of a check engine light but there are so many threads on the SC cluster having issues...seems like aftermarket analog would solve all these issues. not uncommon to do on race cars or domestic custom classic builds. are there some reasons not to do this? i might go this route in the near future as my lights/needles are all burning out and recently lost both tach and speedo.. the money in rebuilding this could just go into a nice custom cluster. ive tried searching for "custom gauge cluster" but didnt come up with much except for the $1000+ one piece units designed for stand alone. sunpro gauges are relatively cheap and have a large number of positive reviews on amazon.

Last edited by eblick99; 12-15-13 at 10:40 AM.