Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Obd1 motor with obd2 ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 08:32 PM
99sc300gte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd1 motor with obd2 ecu?

Looked on here and couldn't find any search results for this topic just a bunch of swap problems due to emission. Sorry if I didn't see one about this already posted. I have a 99 with a 93 gte motor and was wondering if I could use an obd2 ecu to try to get by emissions. I assume the 2nd o2 would be needed and probably a way to bypass the crank sensor? Idk if that's true or not jw if I should waste my time with spending that much on an 96-98 ecu. If not ill have to get rid of the sc I saw this done on supra forums and they grounded the heated o2 wire and used a simulator to keep the cel off but I still have the 99 harness so idk what will happen and what I'd have to convert

Last edited by 99sc300gte; 04-02-13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 07:59 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried looking up similar information, the only thing I found was that its not really possible to make the obd1 pass in an obd2 car. As far as getting the ob2 computer to work it is probably alot more work but may be possible. I'm also in NY, its just a hassle having obd2 here.
Old 04-03-13, 08:29 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

You would probably need something else to help monitor the sensors, like MAP ECU3 or something like that. I was looking into running a GTE motor on a GE ECU with the help of MAP ECU3 to control boost, knock, timing, etc so that the diagnostic port would still be functional.
Old 04-03-13, 08:41 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need an OBD2 Supra ECU , and MAF sensor .
Old 04-03-13, 09:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

^^what he said, you can do what you are suggesting as long as you are not trying to run a vvti motor.
The 96+ odb2 USDM Supra TT ecu's never had vvti, so all the 96+ usdm tt ecu's will run your non-vvti motor and will talk to the odb2 port once you get all the little stuff like o2 sensors wired up like the US supra, which should already be similar to how your odb2 SC came anyways. you will need to add the maf and stuff and switch to 550's if you are on a jdm ecu right now, you know all the good stuff.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-03-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-03-13, 01:57 PM
99sc300gte
Driver School Candidate

I'm on a usdm ecu. It's a usdm 2jzgte. It has a maf delete but the guy said he put a resistor in place to fool it? He also used the o2 simulator that you screw the o2 into for the downstream so it doesn't throw a cel. I'm going to look for a 96+ ecu and see what I can work with. If I do this and it works it could be a break through for us emission guys.
Old 04-03-13, 03:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well if you are already on a USDM ecu that makes things alot easier. the US odb1 and odb2 ecu pretty much uses all the same sensors, has a maf, and a map (no seperate IAT like the jdm, on us its part of the maf).

now you have me wondering how a resistor does the job of a maf, are you sure you don't have a map ecu or something in the mix to delete the maf. often when you use a piggyback to delete the maf on a usdm ecu, you loose the temp sensor because its part of the maf, so some guys will stick a resistor in for the air temp sensor instead of taking the 10 minutes it takes to install one, although the resistor on the temp sensor wont make a drastic difference most of the time and is not a big deal, but I prefer to install one.
The car won't run well without a maf, and definitely not with a resistor in place of the maf, it is much more important than the temp sensor.

also why on earth did they use an o2 simulator. you normally do that on a turbo engine with a non-turbo ecu.
I have never heard of anyone doing this on a gte with a gte ecu, it doesn't make sense it will run better with an o2 sensor.
whoever set this up may have done more bad than good, you may want to undo some of it (the o2 sensor for sure).
also do you have stock injectors? with a map ecu or something the inectors could have been upgraded, and a o2 simulator could be a bandaid solution for a bad tune.

take a look at how many piggybacks you have attached to your ecu and report back, they should all be next to it under the passenger foot carpet area. if you have no piggybacks and no maf I would be very very concerned and surprised you can even drive it around.

whatever setup you have you shouldn't have to change it much except if you are inclined to fix whats above (it may drive a whole lot better), but since both ecu's are usdm setups, just swap out the odb1 ecu for the odb2 ecu and see if it runs and how many cel codes come up.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-03-13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 03:33 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very useful info here! Thanks to those replying
Old 04-03-13, 05:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Moved to proper forum
Old 04-03-13, 05:13 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry brian, I didn't even pay attention.
Old 04-09-13, 11:24 PM
99sc300gte
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
well if you are already on a USDM ecu that makes things alot easier. the US odb1 and odb2 ecu pretty much uses all the same sensors, has a maf, and a map (no seperate IAT like the jdm, on us its part of the maf).

now you have me wondering how a resistor does the job of a maf, are you sure you don't have a map ecu or something in the mix to delete the maf. often when you use a piggyback to delete the maf on a usdm ecu, you loose the temp sensor because its part of the maf, so some guys will stick a resistor in for the air temp sensor instead of taking the 10 minutes it takes to install one, although the resistor on the temp sensor wont make a drastic difference most of the time and is not a big deal, but I prefer to install one.
The car won't run well without a maf, and definitely not with a resistor in place of the maf, it is much more important than the temp sensor.

also why on earth did they use an o2 simulator. you normally do that on a turbo engine with a non-turbo ecu.
I have never heard of anyone doing this on a gte with a gte ecu, it doesn't make sense it will run better with an o2 sensor.
whoever set this up may have done more bad than good, you may want to undo some of it (the o2 sensor for sure).
also do you have stock injectors? with a map ecu or something the inectors could have been upgraded, and a o2 simulator could be a bandaid solution for a bad tune.

take a look at how many piggybacks you have attached to your ecu and report back, they should all be next to it under the passenger foot carpet area. if you have no piggybacks and no maf I would be very very concerned and surprised you can even drive it around.

whatever setup you have you shouldn't have to change it much except if you are inclined to fix whats above (it may drive a whole lot better), but since both ecu's are usdm setups, just swap out the odb1 ecu for the odb2 ecu and see if it runs and how many cel codes come up.
The guy who swapped obd1-obd2 ecu said he used a resister to fool it also an o2 simulater so it wouldn' throw a code due to using 2 o2 sensors instead of one. (Supra forum diy write up) My car has a maf delete idk how its wired up I know nothing about how he did the swap I'm just trying to learn I do have stock usdm injectors as well. Its a 93 motor with just one ecu worked in no piggyback. Its not the best wiring job either
Old 04-10-13, 08:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

oh I missed the part about the o2 sensor being downstream or after the cat, he is right that one is not important it just checks if the cat is working, you can leave that or re install a regular o2 sensor later.
Hopefully you still have 1 main o2 sensor up front.

you can't delete the maf on a usdm supra without some type of controller, so you have to have a HKS VPC or something like that. when you install one of these you put a resistor in for the IAT on the maf connector.
That has to be what your friend is talking about and you have to have a piggyback like the VPC installed in your car, or it won't run. it looks like a little green/black box with 3 ***** on it.

this wilil probably look similar to your car, scroll down some to the pic of the connector.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...PC-installing&

no VPC (or similar piggyback) = no maf simulation = car wont run without a maf.

So Im going to assume you have a VPC installed, and that the o2 sim is for the non-important o2 sensor.
If thats the case, everything is setup fine and there is no need to change it.
running a VPC on the USDM ecu is a common and good thing cause you have a proper maf delete.
so you can swap to the odb2 ecu and we can help you figure out the little details.
Since the odb2 is setup the same way with the maf and map sensor, there should be no need to change that if its running right now on the odb1 ecu. I would start by swapping the odb2 ecu in and seeing what happens, who knows it may just work like that.

looks like there is a thread on is at SF already for going fro odb1 to odb2, ad it looks like you can just plug it in.
you already have the o2 sim, and you already have the odb2 port, so it should just work =)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...2-ECU-Upgrade&

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-10-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-10-13, 06:16 PM
99sc300gte
Driver School Candidate

I just saw that thread! Sorry for posting a new one. I'm going to look into the hks box I've seen it online but I can't find anything but the ecu in my car so I have no clue lol ill do some more research and report back. Thank you for the help
Old 04-11-13, 07:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thats ok, that thread is on supraforums, not here on CL so Im sure we can add some more info to the discussion. I still can't believe no one takes the time to install an air temp sensor...
let us know when you find it, sometimes its by the stereo area or in the glove box.