Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I've always had a fetish for cool whip.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 12:57 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation I've always had a fetish for cool whip.

They just called saying they needed to remove the motor from the bay to fix the lower oil pan gasket leak....Is this true? I thought it was completely accesible from underneath the vehicle

Best,
Ashtray

P.S. I went ahead and told them to NOT do it since he also mentioned it was a 4 day job....seems like total bs to me. It is just a lower oil pan gasket. Remove, clean off old FIPG from all mating surfaces, apply new FIPG and torque back accordingly...No?

Last edited by ashtray; 03-15-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 01:18 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine removal or drop the subframe. Might just well change both upper and lower oil pan gasket if you get it done.
Old 03-15-13, 01:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do not need to pull the engine. Just have to raise the engine till the studs for the motor mounts are off the mounts are out of their position, and you have just enough clearance to get to everything.

Let me rephrase. If your dealing with just the lower oil pan, no the engine does not need to be pulled. If your removing both, upper and lower, just pull the motor. Subframe removal isnt a simple task for clearance, and is probably just as much work if not more than pulling the motor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-any-tips.html

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?p=67858

Last edited by turbodremz; 03-15-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 01:55 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

You see I'm only dealing with the lower oil pan. The upper does not seem to be leaking. I've read for the lower I can simply drive it onto ramps or jack stand it. I'll probably just do it myself unless they find a leak in the upper one as well...in which case I'll let them deal with it since I do not have a motor lift. Thank you for the replies guys.
Old 03-15-13, 02:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the lower can be done from underneath as some have already said, but its not as easy and it is a tight space so to maneuver everything around so basically you aren't going to have much luck convincing a shop to do it, unless its a performance shop that deals with these cars, the book says to pull the motor, but 4 days to pull a 2jz sounds excessive. I think someone who has never done it before could pull the motor change the gasket and have it back in in 2 days if they had all the tools for that.

I would just do the lifting of the motor up and replacing from underneath, unless you need to do the oil pump and all that stuff it may be worth the pull.
you may need to lift the motor from on top, since you can't use a floor jack with a piece of wood on the oil pan, well because you are trying to remove the oil pan. maybe you can get creative somehow I have never had to do that.
Old 03-15-13, 02:14 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Okay I just got off the phone and they notified me that it is leaking from the upper as well. I will probably get it all taken care of in San Antonio with a special mechanic who knows the 2JZ better than most local shop mechanics might. Spring break is over soon and I just got my wisdom teeth out so this will probably be done next weekend. I'm having them change the oil regardless since I went 100 miles over the posted milage change. School seriously distracts me from my car and I hate seeing milage be way over the posted change time. Thanks for the help everybody. As far as oil pump I think that is fine. If anything all arises I'll bump this thread back. Thanks all.

Pain Killers here I come.

If anyone wants to change the thread title to anything more appropriate feel free.
Old 03-15-13, 09:19 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where u at in texas? i live in cibolo, like 20min for SA
Old 03-15-13, 09:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I live in SA.