Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clearly this air filter is too small...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 02:48 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clearly this air filter is too small...?

Just got this air filter...way too small right? I thought it would be nearly double the size. Feel my car stuttering like it's not getting enough air. It's a nice K&N filter....just don't think it's the right size for me. I ordered this off Amazon as it was the best price, but Autozone is still open a little while longer I can make a quick run if I have to.

Old 02-27-13, 02:56 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doubt thats the problem, your maf is probably hurting and putting that on upset it.

make sure there are no leaks after the maf... take the filter off and drive it for a minute, see what happens.
Old 02-27-13, 02:58 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
i doubt thats the problem, your maf is probably hurting and putting that on upset it.
I just did it it about 30 minutes ago. I've had no problems beforehand. The stock air filter is nearly double the size...

What do you mean my MAF is probably hurting?
Old 02-27-13, 03:02 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

well your car was made in 92 and thats the original maf... sometimes, oil charged filters can cause them to act up. The size of the filter doesnt worry me, as long as air can pass thru it, and i wouldnt doubt it can. do you have any gauges? AFR? Silly question cuz Im aware your car is mostly stock...
Old 02-27-13, 03:09 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

might be your ECU readjusting.
Old 02-27-13, 03:15 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
well your car was made in 92 and thats the original maf... sometimes, oil charged filters can cause them to act up. The size of the filter doesnt worry me, as long as air can pass thru it, and i wouldnt doubt it can. do you have any gauges? AFR? Silly question cuz Im aware your car is mostly stock...
Yea my car is all stock. No gauges. Really only notice the stuttering when I'm gunning it...which is what I was doing, honestly first after market air filter set up and wanted to hear it, and feel it. My old air filter was dirty as *****...very dirty. I'll leave it on for work tomorrow and see how it feels. Should I reset my ECU??? I actually read that resetting the ECU after installing one of these was a good idea.
Old 02-27-13, 03:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The best bet was to make the BFI. Alot of hot air, and I mean alot of hot air are being sucked into this style of filter. Not to sound mean, but I also think the filter is too small for the V8 to breath.
Old 02-27-13, 03:22 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
The best bet was to make the BFI. Alot of hot air, and I mean alot of hot air are being sucked into this style of filter. Not to sound mean, but I also think the filter is too small for the V8 to breath.
thats what i heat shield is for

(comes with a SRT)
Old 02-27-13, 03:25 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
That's what I thought the problem was at first, too small to breath. I planned to make a hot air shield, and I noticed this intake stayed hot for a while after I drove it.
Old 02-27-13, 03:26 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

didnt notice it was 400 either... that may make a difference. as stated above... bfi and a k&n drop in is a way better setup. its nearly free.
Old 02-27-13, 03:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I research the heck out of any mod before I instsall or buy parts. I say return the unit and make your own bfi yourself. It will make you totally satisfied and you will not loose any horsepower from allowing excessive hot air into the intake. For even more performance buy a K and N stock filter.
Old 02-27-13, 04:43 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do b.f.I with k&n drop in filter for best results. Oem filter is good too though
Old 02-28-13, 12:57 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see how it can be too small.... The stock airbox snorkel inlet is much smaller, and ive seen people use similar sized filters on turbos. Dunno, maybe the pic makes it look bigger than it is.

About the stuttering, you may have gotten dirt on something on the MAF when installing the filter. Or the oil from the K&N filter got on it, but i dont think it would mess up the MAF that fast.
Old 02-28-13, 05:00 PM
slydjunkie
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like same size filter im running on my modded jz.... i dout its the filter acting up.. few things... how old your plugs.... clean terminals on battery, trust me on battery..

similar issue on my buddies 1uz turned out was running like **** because the battery terminals were gross.. cleaned them up,... car ran like a champ... need to realize changing on thing effects others.....

new AIR FILTER = more clean air read into engine through maf and O2 sensor... engine puts out more fuel which is supplied through fuel system and FUEL FILTER which needs to be ignited by your SPARK PLUGS .. plugs need juice from your electrical system aka ALT and BATTERY

everything is connected which is why every spring i pull my car out of storage.. i re install the battery making sure posts are clean, i check ground points on engine, install new plugs and install a new air filter.. this is over kill i realize but it is nice knowing i dont have to worry about anything for rest of season

what im saying is... you own a lexus treat her right PLUGS, O2 sensor, FUEL Filter, air filter are cheap things to do and normally they result in more power and better fuel eco
Old 02-28-13, 05:10 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slydjunkie
looks like same size filter im running on my modded jz.... i dout its the filter acting up.. few things... how old your plugs.... clean terminals on battery, trust me on battery..

similar issue on my buddies 1uz turned out was running like **** because the battery terminals were gross.. cleaned them up,... car ran like a champ... need to realize changing on thing effects others.....

new AIR FILTER = more clean air read into engine through maf and O2 sensor... engine puts out more fuel which is supplied through fuel system and FUEL FILTER which needs to be ignited by your SPARK PLUGS .. plugs need juice from your electrical system aka ALT and BATTERY

everything is connected which is why every spring i pull my car out of storage.. i re install the battery making sure posts are clean, i check ground points on engine, install new plugs and install a new air filter.. this is over kill i realize but it is nice knowing i dont have to worry about anything for rest of season

what im saying is... you own a lexus treat her right PLUGS, O2 sensor, FUEL Filter, air filter are cheap things to do and normally they result in more power and better fuel eco
Gonna check the plugs this weekend, I'm pretty sure they are fairly new plugs, but I have planned to put brand new high quality plugs in anyway. If I had the money I'd have it fixed up real nice, but funds are low right now and I have a few other priorities to handle before getting her running mint. Battery is new, and terminals are clean. I reset the ECU last night, and now it only hiccups when I completely floor it. I rarely floor it, but was doing a few tests and this was noticeable. I might grab the Spectre filter at Autozone and throw it on see if it makes a difference, if not just return it. The Spectre filter is about 2" longer, and a bit fatter too.

Quick Reply: Clearly this air filter is too small...?