Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bad wastegate? car wont boost over 10 psi

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 11:03 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad wastegate? car wont boost over 10 psi

Hey guys, so i blew my exhaust manifold gasket the other night and just replaced it today.

After going for a test drive i notice the car is super loud in the engine bay around wastegate and is slower than **** only reading 10psi on the gauge and truly doesnt even feel like that.

Im using the cheap ebay 4 bolt wastegate from xs power and only had one issue with it sticking open before cause of a casting burr jamming the valve but now it seems like maybe my wastegate is messed up in some other way.

I re check my ic piping couplers like ten times and tightened it all up, still no luck.

What are the symptoms of a bad wastegate? Im wondering if my diaphragm is ripped
Old 02-10-13, 09:08 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
Hey guys, so i blew my exhaust manifold gasket the other night and just replaced it today.

After going for a test drive i notice the car is super loud in the engine bay around wastegate and is slower than **** only reading 10psi on the gauge and truly doesnt even feel like that.

Im using the cheap ebay 4 bolt wastegate from xs power and only had one issue with it sticking open before cause of a casting burr jamming the valve but now it seems like maybe my wastegate is messed up in some other way.

I re check my ic piping couplers like ten times and tightened it all up, still no luck.

What are the symptoms of a bad wastegate? Im wondering if my diaphragm is ripped
if its super loud around the wastegate it sounds like you got a exhaust leak... if you're only boosting 10 and its slow getting there it could be a leak between the wastegate and manifold. double check it...
Old 02-10-13, 07:06 PM
A32Boost
Rookie

prob a crack in your manifold
Old 02-11-13, 08:28 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by A32Boost
prob a crack in your manifold
Im hoping not, I dont think so though because i imagine it would drive loud + like **** at all times. Not just going WOT. When i get into boost is when its all loud and airy so im gonna grab a new wastegate and see
Old 02-11-13, 08:44 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you may have a leak coming from somewhere. The reaso you only hear it when your wot is because all the air is getting pushed out. when your cruising air is still leaking out but not to the point where you can here it. I would make sure all the bolts are tighten from changing out the gasket. Also do a smoke test and you can see where the leak is coming from.
Old 02-11-13, 10:21 PM
sj408
Instructor

hey guys, so applied vacuum to the wastegate and it seemed to not hold any pressure at all. Not sure if it was the old beat vacuum pump though.

I ended up taking the wastegate off and taking it apart and everything looked in order, BUT one thing i noticed right away was that the spring wasnt hard to compress compared to past times. Is it possible the spring wore out?
Old 02-12-13, 02:11 PM
sj408
Instructor

Removed wastegate and went for a drive, it boosted to 25 psi immediately, looks like i need a new wastegate
Old 02-12-13, 02:36 PM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

I had a fake DriftMotion Tial 46 that needed replacing in 2012. The wastegate started relaxing prematurely, and resulted in low boost that came in late. I'll never use another Chinese wastegate again.

Just my personal experience.
Old 02-12-13, 07:35 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Medic91x
I had a fake DriftMotion Tial 46 that needed replacing in 2012. The wastegate started relaxing prematurely, and resulted in low boost that came in late. I'll never use another Chinese wastegate again.

Just my personal experience.
Yeah im getting the same thing, feels like the spring. just gonna try and find a name brand 4 bolt one.
Old 02-13-13, 04:39 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Tial is your friend!
Old 02-13-13, 05:23 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Penny wise and dollar foolish==== buy it 2 or 3 times
Old 02-13-13, 08:07 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Tial is your friend!
Yeah will probably go with a tial, whats peoples general solution going from a 4 bolt wastgate to a 2 bolt or vband?

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Penny wise and dollar foolish==== buy it 2 or 3 times
Wow! great contribution! It was the original WG that came with the xs power kit and served for a little more than 10k miles. I can get em for around 60 a piece, that being said even if i wanted to buy 3 of em and use em for 10k each its still cheaper than a tial and likely you will have to service a tial wastegate after 30k miles.
Old 02-13-13, 08:17 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

There is an adopter you can buy to go from the 4 bolt style to the V band or you just chop the 4 bolt flange off and weld the tial v band on it.

BL sells that flange or you can make your own if have the tools and materials.

Tial will last more than 30k miles for sure.

I would do a leak down & compression text first and hopefully you didn't damage your engine.

gl
Old 02-13-13, 09:31 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
There is an adopter you can buy to go from the 4 bolt style to the V band or you just chop the 4 bolt flange off and weld the tial v band on it.

BL sells that flange or you can make your own if have the tools and materials.

Tial will last more than 30k miles for sure.

I would do a leak down & compression text first and hopefully you didn't damage your engine.

gl
My engine should be fine, it never overboosted or anything weird.

Out here in las vegas things that are supposed to last really dont cause of the heat so i wouldnt expect anything like a wastegate to last much more than 30k name brand or not. But who knows, lets hope i can find a good tial that will last that long, if not i really wont be surprised

point is for the price of a new tial you could like like 8 off brand wastegates, Not to say im not buying a tial but figured id point that out.
Old 02-13-13, 09:47 AM
sj408
Instructor

another thing i might note is i was using the xs power 5.5 psi spring i believe and boosting it to 14psi. Could that have lead to the premature wear of the wg spring? The spring feels super weak

Quick Reply: Bad wastegate? car wont boost over 10 psi