Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Holset Hx52 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 08:04 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its almost always the fuel pump ecu. go to the diagnostic terminal and jump b+ ad Fp, and the pump should turn on. IF it does you can rule out the pump, and then its probably the fuel pump ecu. check out the thread for the workaround make sure you use a relay or just replace the fuel ecu if that turns out to be the problem.

Do you have a picture of the turbo next to something we can tell the size of?
If you don't have to worry about the intake pipe because of the FFIM, then you can probably get away with the adapter. Depending on how large the turbo is only thing would be clearing the first runner (which the adapter will help with some) and clearing the shock tower, which most turbo's will do this but the really big ones are close. I haven't seen a hx52 so I can't really say.

Like quicksc4's turbo was so big he had to modify the runners, and change the flange angle to clear the shock tower I believe. This is not a huge deal, but I hope you picked up that for your next build its easier to get the turbo manifold first and then pick out a turbo. On another note I wonder why there aren't any knock off T6 manifolds floating around yet. just a sea of T4 manifolds from every direction that all look pretty identical.
im going to buy a drift motion mani and use an obx t6 adapter which is t4 to t6 and im gonna check the pump to night .
Old 02-07-13, 08:06 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
OP that's not how you start a build sorry but i had to tell you that!

Did you see all the people that jumped on your thread trying to help you but you are not helping yourself .

I know it's not what you wanna hear but your question has been answered on post #3.

gl.
thanks i know its been solved i already have the turbo a pic will go up soon.
Old 02-08-13, 08:52 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Turbo Pics Hx52
Attached Thumbnails Holset Hx52 Questions-imag2803_1_1.jpg   Holset Hx52 Questions-imag2802.jpg  
Old 02-09-13, 08:25 PM
heavymk3
Driver School Candidate

if you want more info on that turbo google it...theres rb25s and 2jz across the waters running those. I have one in storage but that might be way later or for sale...right now im going hx40

theres machinist that can machine smaller housings for that turbo but your going to have to do a lot of searching. pics when you get it on the car..also make sure you get the oiling right or you will blow it.
Old 02-10-13, 06:57 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heavymk3
if you want more info on that turbo google it...theres rb25s and 2jz across the waters running those. I have one in storage but that might be way later or for sale...right now im going hx40

theres machinist that can machine smaller housings for that turbo but your going to have to do a lot of searching. pics when you get it on the car..also make sure you get the oiling right or you will blow it.
what kind of oil line should i use?
Old 02-10-13, 07:00 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

its almost always the fuel pump ecu. go to the diagnostic terminal and jump b+ ad Fp, and the pump should turn on. IF it does you can rule out the pump, and then its probably the fuel pump ecu. check out the thread for the workaround make sure you use a relay or just replace the fuel ecu if that turns out to be the problem.

Do you have a picture of the turbo next to something we can tell the size of?
If you don't have to worry about the intake pipe because of the FFIM, then you can probably get away with the adapter. Depending on how large the turbo is only thing would be clearing the first runner (which the adapter will help with some) and clearing the shock tower, which most turbo's will do this but the really big ones are close. I haven't seen a hx52 so I can't really say.

Like quicksc4's turbo was so big he had to modify the runners, and change the flange angle to clear the shock tower I believe. This is not a huge deal, but I hope you picked up that for your next build its easier to get the turbo manifold first and then pick out a turbo. On another note I wonder why there aren't any knock off T6 manifolds floating around yet. just a sea of T4 manifolds from every direction that all look pretty identical.
I Added pics
Old 02-10-13, 08:34 AM
heavymk3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScWift92
what kind of oil line should i use?
should have an inner diameter of 1 inch to be safe but some getaway with smaller...on holsets site they specify. dsm guys run 14an, not sure what the Nissan guys are running.
Old 02-10-13, 05:00 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heavymk3
should have an inner diameter of 1 inch to be safe but some getaway with smaller...on holsets site they specify. dsm guys run 14an, not sure what the Nissan guys are running.
any place specific i can find it?
Old 02-10-13, 06:01 PM
heavymk3
Driver School Candidate

dodge dealer you can get the original drain to fab up...I got mine from caterpillar...ill take a pic and post it. for the return on the block im going to have it bored out to the same size as the return on the turbo and weld a piece of pipe to it.
Old 02-10-13, 08:20 PM
heavymk3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScWift92
any place specific i can find it?
190750839337 < google this ..this is a bit expensive but you can find the same thing cheaper if you look. I have extras that I could sell you if you like.
Old 02-11-13, 07:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

14an for the feed line, now thats Gigantic. my drain line is like 10an and my feed is a 3an.
I don't have a Holset and I hear they love oil but man 14an, that must be a typo right? did you mean 4an maybe
Old 02-11-13, 09:50 AM
heavymk3
Driver School Candidate

14an for the feed line, now thats Gigantic. my drain line is like 10an and my feed is a 3an.
I don't have a Holset and I hear they love oil but man 14an, that must be a typo right? did you mean 4an maybe
14an for drain....3 or 4an for inlet is what ive been seeing but what size metering device to run is what im unsure of. the diesel motors that these turbos were designed for have much larger drain tubes than people putting on them. ill quote what factory max oil pressure should be when I find it again...of the top of my head, i THINK it was 80 psi but im going to look.

did the leg work ....vvvvv

Originally Posted by jusmx141 View Post
Information taken direct from the Holset service manual for the HX35/40:

Oil return pipes are permitted to decline at an overall angle of not less than 30 degrees below horizontal. All turbocharger applications require a pipe of internal diameter greater than 19 mm which has integrated connectors. To ensure oil drains into the engine under all operating conditions, the return connection into the engine sump must not be submerged and the outlet flange of the turbocharger must be 50 mm above the maximum oil level of the engine sump pan.

i know most of this info is posted and scattered here and there but this is out of the holset hx35/40 rebuild manual.....

"8. Normal oil temperature is 95+/-5°C (203+/-9°F). It should not exceed 120°C (248°F) under any operating condition.
11. Oil return pipes are permitted to decline at an overall angle of not less than 30 degrees below horizontal.
14. The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 210 kPa (30 lbf/in2). Maximum permissible operating pressure is 500 kPa (72 lbf/in2) although 600 kPa (88 lbf/in2) is permitted during cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 70 kPa (10 lbf/in2).
15. Recommended oil flows for the turbochargers are 2 litre/min at idle and 3 litre/min above maximum torque speed.

Installation Data
1. Mount the turbocharger on the turbine inlet flange. All other connections must be flexible and heavy pipework
should be supported. Always pre-lube with clean engine oil.
2. Always position the bearing housing so that the oil drain is at the bottom and kept within 22° of the vertical centre
line when installed on the engine.
3. Oil should be filtered below 15/20 microns. The oil quality must be as specified by the engine manufacturer.
e.g. API - CD (MIL - L - 2104C). Improvement in life can be obtained by using super high performance diesel
(SPHD) oils, particularly where extended oil drain periods are used.
4. Oil pressure must show at the turbocharger oil inlet within 3 - 4 seconds of engine firing to prevent damage to
turbocharger bearing system from lack of lubrication.
5. The minimum oil pressure, when the engine is on load must be 210 kPa [2.0 kgf/cm2, 30 lbf/in2] and pressures up
to 415 kPa [4.0 kgf/cm2, 60 lb/in2] are satisfactory. Under idling conditions the pressure should not fall below 70 kPa
[0.7 kgf/cm2. 10lbf/in2].
6. The oil inlet pipe should be 9.5 mm [0.375 in.] bore minimum and the oil drain pipe should be 19 mm [0.75 in.] bore
minimum. The oil must drain downwards by gravity from the turbocharger into the engine under all operating
conditions.
7. Air cleaner pressure drop should not exceed 500 mm [20 in.] of water. Avoid damp/wet air conditions in filter as this
can dramatically increase pressure drop on a temporary basis.
8. The exhaust back pressure after the turbocharger should not exceed 500 mm [20 in.] of water. Consult Holset
where high restrictions are expected, particularly when exhaust brakes"

Last edited by heavymk3; 02-11-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 01:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Ive read the manual several times, and those are generic instructions and they depend on the oil pressure of the place you are getting your oil from, which can very on different engines and if you get it right after the pump or off the head etc etc.

We just had a thread with a large discussion on feed and drain sizes for holsets.
Everyone here who has a holset apparently runs a 4an unrestriced for the inlet although I think that is too much oil.
I run a 3an on my turbo, but it is not a Holset so the choice is yours! (obviously), but read up on it but stay above 3an for journal bearing.
a 10-12AN drain should be enough to drain a turbo with a 4an feed, and you can probably go 8-10an drain with a 3an feed, although people tend to stay away from drains smaller than 10an with the larger turbos.
Old 02-11-13, 03:23 PM
cheftank
Rookie

4an feed
10an drain

on my piece
7 blade hx35 using a t4 to t3 ebay adapter. no problems yet but only 200 ish miles and a couple fun pulls.

you can see the adapter plate in this pic
Old 02-11-13, 03:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

looks like height isn't a problem with the adapter flange and there is space between turbo and shock tower.
can probably fit a QSV on there too.. lol

Quick Reply: Holset Hx52 Questions