Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 07:21 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Radiator

Ive been doing some research on this and cant seem to find the answer i need, Im about to pull my hair out haha. Im finishing up on my 600 HP pump gas build and decided im going to go ahead and do an aluminum radiator. I purchased is300 fans a while back and when i went to install them on my factory radiator with custom brackets up top i still didnt like how they fit. What are you guys useing for an aluminum radiator.I know alot are going with mk4 supra radiator but im looking for more of a drop in radiator that will fit well with my is300 fans. Do the is300 radiators fit in our cars? The thought crossed my mind and i couldnt find a answer searching. Also if it comes down to it i might just sell my fans and buy a radiator with fans that are built for it. Does anyone have any suggestions on which radiator and fans i should buy? or a good radiator that will work well with my is300 fans? Thanks in Advance
Old 01-14-13, 08:49 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jpowa
Ive been doing some research on this and cant seem to find the answer i need, Im about to pull my hair out haha. Im finishing up on my 600 HP pump gas build and decided im going to go ahead and do an aluminum radiator. I purchased is300 fans a while back and when i went to install them on my factory radiator with custom brackets up top i still didnt like how they fit. What are you guys useing for an aluminum radiator.I know alot are going with mk4 supra radiator but im looking for more of a drop in radiator that will fit well with my is300 fans. Do the is300 radiators fit in our cars? The thought crossed my mind and i couldnt find a answer searching. Also if it comes down to it i might just sell my fans and buy a radiator with fans that are built for it. Does anyone have any suggestions on which radiator and fans i should buy? or a good radiator that will work well with my is300 fans? Thanks in Advance
Per my understanding only SC radiators fit SC cars. Supra radiator is the closest and fits with some modifications of the brackets on top.
Old 01-14-13, 09:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What Chris said ^^^ Another option if you are using a Supra MKIV radiator is to add a rubber spacer at the bottom about an inch or 1.5" thick to raise it to the factory top mounts. That way you don't need the bent thet top mounts down and make it look like sht.

That's how we did mine, I don't remember the exact height of the rubber spacer but it was around an inch or a bit more.
Old 01-14-13, 09:32 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine snipped, bent, re-welded, and then re-painted so it looks okay. My PWR radiator is so large that the car has trouble reaching normal temperature in winter and heat don't really come on, so if you drive in winter (I don't), get something normal sized.
Old 01-14-13, 10:07 AM
2jpowa
Driver

K I can't really find a bolt in radiator for the sc 300 besides fluidyne, do you guys know a good radiator with a good fan setup that will bolt right to the radiator ?
Old 01-14-13, 11:42 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jpowa
K I can't really find a bolt in radiator for the sc 300 besides fluidyne, do you guys know a good radiator with a good fan setup that will bolt right to the radiator ?
Fluidyne is not a bolt in... They don't make a SC specific radiator... only a MKIV version. I installed and removed the Fluidyne about three or four times because they kept sending my garbage units. The quality on them is utter sht.

If you want a good quality aluminum one just get the Koyo and do what I told you or what Chris suggested to make it work.
Old 01-15-13, 07:33 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Fluidyne has addressed their quality issues...

From Supraforums...
That's easy, Fluidyne used to do a lot of manufacturing outside of the country and Fluidyne was run by someone other than Gary (old employee NEW current owner) when the problem occurred with the incorrect mounting points on the batch that was produced a couple years ago that got shipped all across the world they were shipping a lot out without it even landing in the house of Fluidyne allowing for errors and lack of quality control. This is something he regrets to ever hear about. Then Gary stepped in and took over the business and changed all that to developing and manufacturing 100% in house (Moorseville, NC)and I will post pics to prove this and has been doing so for over a year now. In fixing the problem with the Supra cores he took the similar dimensional design and are using the 3 row feature and have done away with the single core they had before. I had a long conversation on how to reintroduce the Fluidyne product back into the supra industry and he assures me that as long as he has a reputable company to handle the product then there will be no issues. If problems were to occur, Gary would send a call tag for the core and have it replaced or refunded. The first batch will come here and personally be test fitted by me and will take pics of the perfect fit. Also they were just picked up by JEGS as their newest large domestic distributor.
I'm considering a Fluidyne for my 2k SC. Have had a Fluidyne in my 92 SC for nearly 10 years with no problems. I replaced the radiator in my GX470 this past summer with a Koyo which has performed like stock so far.
As mentioned above, the fluidyne is not a direct replacment and requires either spacers to adjust the height or modding the top brackets, and the addition of a tranny cooler.
Old 01-15-13, 08:11 AM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Mishimoto MKIV supra radiator requires some slight modding to upper mounts and that was it. Koyo mkiv supra works as well. Requires the same mods.
Old 01-17-13, 02:51 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i ran the stock radiator works fine, i ran stock sc before and run stock tt now.

i ran the stock sc radiator with the is300 fans , i works fine if its not broken don't fix it.
Old 01-17-13, 04:11 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

yea i recently purchased the Supra MKIV Mishimoto X line 3 row radiator and fans with shroud from mishimoto all in all it was around 400 with the radiator and fans.. Should have some pics and possibly a DIY in a few weeks when i return home from my deployment
Old 01-17-13, 06:51 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Awesome ya I wanna use the factory radiator just having problems connecting the is300 fans to the radiator, I want it to be really secure before I drive it
Old 01-18-13, 01:04 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used it on the stock radiator , find some new brackets if you lost the old ones.