Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 03:16 PM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.

So me and a friend recently finished a 1JZ swap into my SC300 that had a 2JZ 5speed with the W58. We ended up keeping the w58 tranny and got the necessary parts together.

Notable Parts:
Spec Stage 3 clutch+ pressure plate
Stock Flywheel
Driftmotion Supra Throttle Cable

The issues we found were the following:
-The shifter will smoothly go into all gears when the car is off, once the car is turned on, it is not the same story exactly.(Gears all go in roughly, some are almost impossible to get into like 5-R)
-The rear wheels spin in the air when the car is on and in neutral.(Some say this is normal)
-Seems the clutch isn't engaging, at any point. Even if we feel pressure on the pedal after bleeding. (Referring back to the first point in the issue list)
-We bled the clutch like crazy, has maintained a somewhat stock feel to it as promised by spec. So I don't think that is the issue.
-But mainly, we are having issues getting this tranny to shift like it USED TO in my 2JZ. Car is currently undrivable because I can't go into any gears.
-If I press the brake, while I try to switch gears, it will not allow it for some reason.
-Motor runs/revs like a champ.

Could someone possibly provide a list of order for diagnosing how to solve this issue? My slave and master cylinders worked flawlessly before the swap, but now the tranny is not acting like it should. If anyone could let me know how to test the master or slave properly that'd be great help too.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited by Bleak; 11-14-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 04:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you replace the throwout bearing? List the parts exactly you reused please, help us a little bit more to determine some issues.
Old 11-14-12, 04:51 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Has anything fallen in the housing?
Old 11-14-12, 05:45 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Did you replace the throwout bearing? List the parts exactly you reused please, help us a little bit more to determine some issues.
Yes the throwout bearing was replaced, came with the clutch.
Old 11-14-12, 08:20 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the clutch in the right way? The flatter side should be on the flywheel side.
Old 11-14-12, 08:27 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

That was my next guess, its backwards.
Old 11-14-12, 11:20 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

Did you adjust the clutch pedal, it might not be disengaging fully
Old 11-15-12, 01:25 AM
sayayin
Pole Position

Bleak, have someone to press on the clutch pedal and you check how much you see the lever that actuates the clutch, I have the same setup and I had to replace my clutch maser unit, also and uneven torque clutch pressure plate can cause this and other more stuff, pm me or call me if you have questions.
Old 11-15-12, 06:11 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by jwin
Is the clutch in the right way? The flatter side should be on the flywheel side.
As far as I know, yes everything inside the tranny was installed correctly. The clutch was also clearly labeled "flywheel side", etc.

@Sayayin, you have a r154 setup tho right? I was maybe thinking master cylinder.
Old 11-15-12, 12:49 PM
Catracho30
Rookie

Originally Posted by sayayin
Bleak, have someone to press on the clutch pedal and you check how much you see the lever that actuates the clutch, I have the same setup and I had to replace my clutch maser unit, also and uneven torque clutch pressure plate can cause this and other more stuff, pm me or call me if you have questions.
by uneven do you mean the splines on the pp? i saw it was bit uneven but the pp was brand new and ive heard it flattens out once installed. also the slave has fluid inside the boot but the pedal is soft but still retracts.also the shaft on the slave moves the fork when the pedal is pressed
Old 11-15-12, 04:34 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by Catracho30
by uneven do you mean the splines on the pp? i saw it was bit uneven but the pp was brand new and ive heard it flattens out once installed. also the slave has fluid inside the boot but the pedal is soft but still retracts.also the shaft on the slave moves the fork when the pedal is pressed
^
This is my friend thats doing the swap with me guys, if you can answer his questions that'd be great!
Old 11-15-12, 04:59 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Bleak, I have the w58 tranny, Did you guys lubricate a little where the throw out bearing moves? Oh I forgot to mention I also change the pump that moves the fork, also did you guys look for play in the input shaft and change the pilot bushing? _____ OK by reading by Catracho30 looks like everything was done correctly only think I can suggest is try to bleed the system leaving no air and adjust the clutch pedal height, I leave mine with a little play ah also there is bushing on the shift lever if is worn out it would be difficult to go in through gears. check that stuff and let us know I will go and help you but you live to far away.
Old 11-15-12, 06:00 PM
Catracho30
Rookie

shaft is lubricated and all parts were working flawless before swap. only thing is his clutch pedal feel was always soggy even before swap. i found some liquid in the slave so i suspect its bad but when you press the pedal i still see it move the fork .and not just a little. most likely is the slave.
Old 11-15-12, 07:15 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thats an easy fix man. Lets hope that is what it is.
Old 11-15-12, 07:27 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely agree with sayayin. It has to be 1. air still stuck in line for clutch master cylinder, or 2. poorly lubricated/cocked pilot bearing. All your symptoms point to clutch still being slightly engaged/ transmission input shaft being turned when at idle. I'd really have to go with slave cylinder, especially since you said it was slightly soggy before the swap. Wish you the best of luck!!!

Quick Reply: Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.