Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help!! Sc400 is dieing!!!! +++ +++

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 03:29 PM
soflo99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Have you been driving it around for a while like this?

That will destroy the cats.
absolutely not I've driven it maybe 15 miles and it's not going to be driven anywhere else until it's fixed. it's sitting in my work parking lot and Since my aunt owns the company I work for I can just drive the company truck until I get it fixed
Old 10-16-12, 03:38 PM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If this problem is solved in one day, that will be completely BOSS!
I think we definitely solved it in 1 day we do have 1 more problem though. apparently paying rent replacing the alternator last week and a couple other bills put my bank account in the dire situation
Old 10-16-12, 03:39 PM
soflo99
Driver

Next pay chexk? Lol
Old 10-17-12, 06:35 AM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by soflo99
Next pay chexk? Lol
well, until then, the car will be awaiting repair. i took a quick snap of it last night so you guys could see the car you are helping bring back to good working order. everything is stock. i forgot my tools today, tomorrow i will poke around and see if it could be something that could be repaired for free. maybe secure a connection, ect... it looks like I have to take some plastics off, couple screws, ect... oh, and i wont be playing with it while the car is running. *in the background you can see the "rental" work truck.
Attached Thumbnails Help!! Sc400 is dieing!!!!   +++ +++-1016121810.jpg  
Old 10-17-12, 08:41 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice car!
Old 10-17-12, 09:46 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

if you got shocked its a bad wire not a coil.... the B wire goes from the coil to the right side distributor cap to supply spark thru your wires to the plugs

here is what ya do first buy 2 caps, 2 rotors, and a set new set of spark plug wires.

your wires are toast if you can see and feel spark....these parts are cheap and im sure both coil packs are good. do 1 wire at a time so you dont mess things up.
Old 10-17-12, 10:10 AM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by powerjunky
if you got shocked its a bad wire not a coil.... the B wire goes from the coil to the right side distributor cap to supply spark thru your wires to the plugs

here is what ya do first buy 2 caps, 2 rotors, and a set new set of spark plug wires.

your wires are toast if you can see and feel spark....these parts are cheap and im sure both coil packs are good. do 1 wire at a time so you dont mess things up.

excellent. so 1 new cap and 1 new rotor for each distributor? and 8 new spark plug wires? and 1 new "B" wire, (is there an actual name for this?) i've actually never changed my plugs so i suppose it would be a good time to swap those as well.?

sorry for sounding like a newwwwwb. but im def a lexus newb. used to Honda motors. so easy to work on. small. 4 of everything, not 8, ect...i remember when i got under my lexus for the first time, think i was just changing the oil and filter, i was so impressed with the build quality, hardy, big *** bolts, ect... compared to being under my integra.
Old 10-17-12, 10:19 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

buy a set of wires from your local autoparts store that will come with the 8 plug wires and 2 coil wires 10 total and yes a cap and rotor for ea side or buy a complete kit with plugs

here is what ya need....buy local
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-TUN...bec5d9&vxp=mtr
Old 10-17-12, 12:05 PM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by powerjunky
buy a set of wires from your local autoparts store that will come with the 8 plug wires and 2 coil wires 10 total and yes a cap and rotor for ea side or buy a complete kit with plugs

here is what ya need....buy local
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-TUN...bec5d9&vxp=mtr
that is really helpful, thanks. as you might have noticed from an earlier post, i'm short on funds at the moment, but as soon as funds are good, I am going to buy everything you recommended and give it a go. All of these "repairs" are well within my level of expertise which, I will admit, is pretty low. I will also be sure to document what I am doing, take pictures, and relay my end-findings with the forum.

My hope is that I can fix my problem, with the help of you guys - and the resulting thread will live on as a tool for someone else to use in the future when they are in need..as we are all at times.

I will attempt to take a closer look at things when I get my tools before pay day, to see if I can really nail down the point of failure, ( melted wire, ect, as nothing is visible at this point without taking some plastics off..) .... other than that, I will be back - after buying the necessary parts and replacing them. not this coming weekend, but next....take care all.

- Michael
Old 10-17-12, 12:32 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are short on funds check out rock auto.com as they were cheapest by faaaar on the tune up parts for my SC400.
Old 10-17-12, 12:36 PM
ChrisH
Rookie

It could be anything. Experienced the same thing, spent thousands on repairs to find out it was faulty connections around the ECU/ Harness! No CEL with my issue aswell. My 2cents
Old 10-17-12, 12:43 PM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
If you are short on funds check out rock auto.com as they were cheapest by faaaar on the tune up parts for my SC400.
i actually just got done looking on there. But, sadly, i cant afford any repair, less it be free. It can wait, tho, I have an interim truck to put around in.
Old 10-17-12, 12:46 PM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisH
It could be anything. Experienced the same thing, spent thousands on repairs to find out it was faulty connections around the ECU/ Harness! No CEL with my issue aswell. My 2cents
yea - it def could be anything, nature of cars!! it terrible...

did you also experience sparks under the hood directly where the wire met the coil pack? if so, that's one devilish ECU!! lol hopefully its not the ecu
Old 10-18-12, 12:45 AM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to take the wire into a parts store and they could have a universal coil wire that may work.

You don't have to necessarily buy a whole new set of plug/coil wires if you're short on funds, although doing that eventually would be a good idea.

I know I have an extra coil wire laying around somewhere I'd just give it to you if you were local, however we're across the country lol.
Old 10-18-12, 08:22 AM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by V8drummer
You might be able to take the wire into a parts store and they could have a universal coil wire that may work.

You don't have to necessarily buy a whole new set of plug/coil wires if you're short on funds, although doing that eventually would be a good idea.

I know I have an extra coil wire laying around somewhere I'd just give it to you if you were local, however we're across the country lol.
yea i see what you mean, and i appreciate the gesture. Luckily, I remembered my tools today, so ill be able to take a closer look at it. if i see anything noteworthy i will report back.

Quick Reply: Help!! Sc400 is dieing!!!! +++ +++