Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

O2 Sensor problem FINALLY SOLVED!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 12:04 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ you get out much?
Old 04-07-10, 07:20 AM
carbophat
Rookie

Originally Posted by good2go
^^ you get out much?
Don't be that guy..
Old 04-16-10, 12:35 PM
Scotty93
Driver

didn't work for me, changed both o2 sensors and light stayed on. finally took it to a mechanic that had a snap on ob1 tester. it said it was the throttle position sensor. that did the trick
Old 05-10-10, 01:31 PM
kransom
Driver School Candidate

Default O2 sensors

Originally Posted by carbophat
Do you have a write up yet? Does anyone have a diagram of where the O2 sens are?
forgive me if i dont know what i'm doing here, this is my first day! but did you ever find a diagram for where the O2 sensors are? im trying to find where mine are. the check engine light it is on and i cant get it inspected. ES 300, 1996
Old 05-25-10, 02:00 PM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carbophat
Don't be that guy..
did you ever resolve your problem? I think i may possibly be having the same issue. I replaced the original O2 sensors on my car at the beginning of April. Now it seems my car is having the same symptoms prior to my replacing of the O2 sensors.

I really do not want to change those O2 sensors again because not only is it a pain to do but i just bought direct-fit sensors last month
Old 05-25-10, 03:24 PM
kransom
Driver School Candidate

Smile O2 sensor

Originally Posted by expansive
did you ever resolve your problem? I think i may possibly be having the same issue. I replaced the original O2 sensors on my car at the beginning of April. Now it seems my car is having the same symptoms prior to my replacing of the O2 sensors.

I really do not want to change those O2 sensors again because not only is it a pain to do but i just bought direct-fit sensors last month

no i have not! ive changed two so far. no im on to the third and last O2 sensor. i just knew i needed a new O2 sensor because the engine light came on and i cant get it inspected. what are the symptons you are experiencing?

we've just discovered i need a new radiator. im checking the market now for a new one, ie. wholesale places on line, ebay, junk yards. and there is even a place that rebuilds them, better than brand new i'm told. so im weighing all my options, i will not get rid of my car. i absolutely love it.

my dad keeps telling me i need a new car, but i dont know. she has over 300,000 miles on her and she is fast as hell.
Old 05-25-10, 03:27 PM
kransom
Driver School Candidate

anyone know of any places to buy a used lexus'? i wont trade mine in, but i would like a newer one.
Old 05-25-10, 03:37 PM
kransom
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Scotty93;5409419]didn't work for me, changed both o2 sensors and light stayed on. finally took it to a mechanic that had a snap on ob1 tester. it said it was the throttle position sensor. that did the trick[/QUOre

really? i was never given that option. ill see what happens after i change the third sensor.
Old 05-29-10, 02:45 PM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He fellas what 2 pins need to be connected to pull to code ?? I know the plug to pull codes is near the fire wall, I just don't know what 2 pins.

Thanks Fellas

Woops let me correct myself. On the soupra's TT it's on the firewall on ge's it's on the front of the intake mani.

Last edited by S142jz; 06-22-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-30-10, 07:11 AM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kransom
no i have not! ive changed two so far. no im on to the third and last O2 sensor. i just knew i needed a new O2 sensor because the engine light came on and i cant get it inspected. what are the symptons you are experiencing?

we've just discovered i need a new radiator. im checking the market now for a new one, ie. wholesale places on line, ebay, junk yards. and there is even a place that rebuilds them, better than brand new i'm told. so im weighing all my options, i will not get rid of my car. i absolutely love it.

my dad keeps telling me i need a new car, but i dont know. she has over 300,000 miles on her and she is fast as hell.
holy ish! over 300,000 miles? wow but yea im still getting the same issues and in fact, i did the code trick and it turns out i have code 21 and 28

21: oxygen sensor
28: No.2 Oxygen Sensor

I kept telling the mechanic (before i was getting the CEL) that something just doesnt feel right with the car. Its a damn shame i have to do repairs and servicing myself in order to figure out the problem with the car. And to think that i almost considered bringing my car in to be checked out and paying a fee for the codes

But to answer your question, my car keeps putting out white smoke and has a rich gas smell. But its not throwing the code "for too rich". Also it has the same idle problems and hesitates when i push on the gas. Its annoying and i try to ignore it but its not easy. I think for now im going to reset the ECU until i purchase new O2 sensors. Even then i dont think new O2 senors will resolve the problem but we will see

I'll give an update once i get new O2 sensors or maybe later today i will unplug the ones installed now and try to clean it.
Old 05-30-10, 08:19 AM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Another question i have, and i was thinking about making a thread about it. But should i reset the ECU before or after i change the O2 sensors?

I ask about changing them before, because i dont want the computer or car remember any settings before i put in new O2 sensors. I would want the computer to relearn everything with new sensors install. It seems to make sense to me but if anyone can give better advice them i definitely am willing to hear.

Perhaps i'll do it before and after. I guess it wouldnt hurt right?
Old 06-20-10, 05:34 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as most of you. I bought my '92 SC400 last October and inherited what I would later learn were two bad O2 sensors. After I finally had Lexus pull the codes at the end of April, they told me that both on the driver's side needed to be replaced. They quoted me $540 per sensor, including labor. Riiiiiight.

Anyway, I ended up buying from a firm in Texas which cost me a small fraction of the above price. Now, less than a month later, I'm getting the TRAC-OFF and CEL lights on again. Not all the time, but they're lit at least half the time. And when they are, I can tell my fuel economy really goes to sh|t.

So, one of three things is happening here:

1. One or both of the driver's side sensors that I just had installed have failed already.
2. One or both of the passenger's side sensors have gone bad (as Lexus warned).
3. It's something else, like the throttle position sensor, the EGR system, etc.

I've scoured these boards for info on pulling the codes myself, but can't locate the DLC1 or DLC2 connectors. The DLC2 panel is supposed to be a round box on the driver's side, right under the dash or wheel well. I don't see anything like it AT ALL and I've taken time to look for it in good light. As for the DLC1 panel, it's supposed to be somewhere under the hood. But where? Near the fusebox? Or...? I have absolutely NO idea. If anything knows where these two panels/connectors are, please post a couple of pics. Believe me, you'd be doing me and everyone else a big favor. Thanks!
Old 06-21-10, 09:04 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

My right side 02 sensor is out and I need to replace it. Anyone have a write up or some pics so I can see what I'm getting into first?
Old 06-21-10, 06:11 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

I found the DLC1 connector. It's right between the engine block and the oil cap. Easy to miss since it's a tiny, rectangular, black box with the marking "DIAGNOSIS" on it. I will post a pic in a few minutes.

So, great that I found it, right? Wrong. I can't even get it open. I just spent 45 minutes trying to and couldn't even get it to budge. The hinge is on the bottom and there's a catch on the top end. Getting a firm hand hold on it is awkward and difficult because of its positioning. I got to the point where I would either rip the entire connector off the car, or end up with 10+ stitches on one of my hands after I sliced it open on the plastic housing.

If anyone can either tell me how to open the DLC1 connector- or post a pic of the DLC2 connector- that would REALLY help me out right about now.

Thanks again.
Old 06-21-10, 06:29 PM
Baraka
Driver School Candidate

The pic of the DLC1 connector is below. If you can actually get it open, follow the instructions here: http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/
The EFI fuse can be found by opening up the fusebox (big, black box on the right hand side of the car, under the hood w/ two screws) and looking at the labeling on the back of the cover. If anyone wants a labeled pic, I would be happy to post it. Just ask.
Attached Thumbnails O2 Sensor problem FINALLY SOLVED!!!!!!!!!-sspx0471-dlc1.jpg  

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor problem FINALLY SOLVED!!!!!!!!!