Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is it safe to buy a 1jzgte ??????? need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 08:28 AM
mostone131
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it safe to buy a 1jzgte ??????? need advice

in a nut shell im getting a good deal on a 1jz on craigslist and im a lil scared to buy a motor from a private seller with no warrenty..... but toyota 1jz are super reliable so is this a good idea to do + the seller says he also did some maintenance to the motor he says he installed new timing belt and valve stem seals... so what you guys think????
Old 09-21-12, 09:04 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Lol why wouldn't it be safe?? 0_o just do maintenance, I.e. timing belt, oil change, replace seals and gaskets, and w.e. else u want to do while its out and ull be fine. if u dont knw how to do the swap there are plenty of info and even walkthroughs of what other ppl did
Old 09-21-12, 10:08 AM
mostone131
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
Lol why wouldn't it be safe?? 0_o just do maintenance, I.e. timing belt, oil change, replace seals and gaskets, and w.e. else u want to do while its out and ull be fine. if u dont knw how to do the swap there are plenty of info and even walkthroughs of what other ppl did
well my concern is if the motor is blown or not... he could be selling a blown motor for all i know.. but iv heard the motors are so well maid i think the chance its blown is slim
Old 09-21-12, 10:24 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
The site is full of this kind of advice, people make it sound like swapping in and buying used engines is like changing the tires.

I dont know how cheap your getting it but if your going to go through all the trouble to swap in a
1jz i rather spend a little more and get a warantee from a reputable seller,

Imagine swapping in that engine and doing all that work just to find out its shot, or runs terrible because its been abused and has 400 000 miles on it.
Old 09-21-12, 10:28 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mostone131
well my concern is if the motor is blown or not... he could be selling a blown motor for all i know.. but iv heard the motors are so well maid i think the chance its blown is slim
they are also known for being abused , beat on and boosted to hell, maybe pay to have a mechanic check it first,thats the best way.
Old 09-21-12, 10:29 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mostone131
it is a gamble to buy these jdm engine , just hope for the best. any compression number.First thing i always do when buying these engine is pull the pan and replace the oil pump.

Remove the valve covers and check for sludge, check the oil ,sometime the oil smells like crap and looks like crap, stay away.

if the engine is already blown before you get it , spun rod or low compression there is nothing you can do

Gl
Old 09-21-12, 10:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its simple you need to invest under $50 in a compression tester and the fittings, and do a test.

these motors are super reliable, but people who don't know what they are doing break them all the time.
It doesn't matter how reliable an engine is if you abuse it constantly or let it overheat it will not last.
Old 09-21-12, 10:48 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

1JZ's are pretty reliable, but like QuickSC4 said it's always a gamble with JDM engines. I'd recommend getting a mechanic to check it out unless you know what to look for. Most people tear these engines up though.
Old 09-21-12, 11:58 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IF it's a super old MKIII Supra 1jz, then it could have rod bearing on the way out or the like.

The Chaser and MarkII @nd revision 1jz are the best, but as stated anything can happen.

CL Deal < Good known engine off a pallet.
Old 09-21-12, 03:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say the same thing. Do a compression test first. Then go from there .. I love my 1JZ. I bought mine from an individual, not knowing nothing, but he is now trustworthy, due to him telling me the truth about what he done. He has another full 1jz i think if you are interested. PM me for info.
Old 09-21-12, 06:45 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

well the valve stem seals are a ***** to replace so be thankful that they were replaced before you bought it. Id say its probably a good motor to go with. when you get it, id change out the oil pump and water pump, change the oil and spark plugs and youll probably be good to go
Old 09-22-12, 09:49 AM
mostone131
Driver School Candidate

thanks this is all good advice... im for sure getting the compression tester before i go by to check it out,,,
Old 09-22-12, 06:42 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull a cam cover and see what the inside of the engine looks like before you cough up cash, and also do a compression test. you can rent the tester from autozone, or buy a cheapy from harbor freight.

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
IF it's a super old MKIII Supra 1jz, then it could have rod bearing on the way out or the like.

The Chaser and MarkII @nd revision 1jz are the best, but as stated anything can happen.

CL Deal < Good known engine off a pallet.
any of them could have a rod bearing on the way out. Doesn't matter old or new. I know someone that bought a vvti 1j with a spun bearing from an importer, and another with a vvti 1j that was coked as **** inside. so old or new it doesn't make a ****.

Also, in your 2nd revision suggestion, you left out the cresta and the soarer. The best ones to get are the ones in decent condition. which is usually an auto swap if anything. But more importantly one that tests good and looks clean inside. Just because someone says the engine is good and puts it on a pallet doesn't make it good.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-22-12 at 07:16 PM. Reason: directed comment
Old 09-22-12, 07:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

keep it on topic and non-personal please.
Old 09-22-12, 07:43 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Was it the verdict? Compression numbers?? Or going to pass?

Quick Reply: is it safe to buy a 1jzgte ??????? need advice