Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hx35 Holset Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 11:46 AM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hx35 Holset Help

So im in the process of getting everything together for my single turbo setup (HX35 Holset) on my soarer's 1JZGTE.

Now ive done a lot of research and have had mixed replies on some questions i have and was wondering if anyone out there also runs this turbo setup and if they could help me with a few questions i have on the setup such as the oil feed lines dispute on these and also maybe some hints and tips and what to avoid doing etc.

Any help would be much appreciated .

Thanks
Old 09-21-12, 01:12 PM
Zinik
Rookie

you can probably take it to a local hose and fitting place and they could match it up for you or at least tell you the thread you need
Old 09-21-12, 03:12 PM
2jzinsider
Rookie

i had a hx35. i used a normal t3/4 drain flange to a -10an drain down the the drift motion -10an drain flange to the oil pan. for the feed i forget where i found the info and i forget what thread pitch it was but i was able to order a fitting from jegs it was a 4an and the other end threaded that went right into the the top of the hx35 for the feed.
Old 09-22-12, 06:54 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any t3 turbo drain flange with -10 will work, and -4 to m12x1.5 is the feed fitting. Additionaly. google coulda answered this for you in the same amount of time it took to post this. Thats where I found the info a few years ago. It'll also bring up a lot of threads about holsets that might interest you. DSM and honda sites have some of the best info about these turbos for gas powered engines. And you might even be interested in an aftermarket turbine housing for it that will give it a smaller a/r and quicker spool for your 1j
Old 09-24-12, 08:51 AM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vrank
any t3 turbo drain flange with -10 will work, and -4 to m12x1.5 is the feed fitting. Additionaly. google coulda answered this for you in the same amount of time it took to post this. Thats where I found the info a few years ago. It'll also bring up a lot of threads about holsets that might interest you. DSM and honda sites have some of the best info about these turbos for gas powered engines. And you might even be interested in an aftermarket turbine housing for it that will give it a smaller a/r and quicker spool for your 1j

Not to be rude but if you would of took time to really read my post I stated that i have done a lot of research and had some questions about oil lines on these turbos. I didn't quite specify that I was looking to find out the drain flanges and thread sizes although thank you anyway for the help either way. My main concern is the restrictor size to use on the -4an feed line. I've heard these holset hx35s are only designed for 45-60 psi max at WOT and our 1JZs push about 80-90 at WOT. So in theory this would cause your rear turbo seal to blow out from too much oil pressure. I've seen some guys say they have had that problem before and then I've seen lots of guys say they've never had this problem.

So i'm just seeing what everyone on here thinks and has had experiences with.
Old 09-24-12, 08:56 AM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Also VRank. These aftermarket housings you talk about. Are you referring to the bullseye garret housing most of the DSM guys use? Cause i've tried looking for some different brands and i come up empty. Maybe you know of any others?
Old 09-24-12, 04:14 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hay i got a restricter from cx racing and fits perfect. you should get some pics to help you out. i also have a hx h1c (old hx35).
Old 09-24-12, 07:51 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

restrictor is probably not a good idea. I run -4, and I'm also using the stock dodge feed fitting on one of my turbos with a -4 male welded to it. the inner diameter of the stock fitting is about the same as -4. I've put an easy 20x plus miles on the same used turbo with that setup.

And the only aftermarket housing I've seen other than the BEP one is on ebay from tim's turbos. I believe he makes a .63 one or somewhere around there. That's about what an HY/HE is at 9cm. Perfect for a street driven 1j. I've done 400ish at 18psi. GF's car is at 15psi right now and rips.
Old 09-25-12, 05:13 PM
cheftank
Rookie

I too ran non restricted on a 7 blade hx35 on a 2.4L pt cruiser. 30psi for a year without an issue. Now it's going in my sc300 (already gte swapped).
Old 09-26-12, 06:12 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil restrictors are only for frail BB CHRAs.

The cummins has 85psi oil pressure at idle. They don't run a restrictor, and neither should you.

It's a diesel truck turbo, so they are rugged as hell.
Old 09-26-12, 04:57 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so, heres my confusion, restictors are there to keep too much oil from feeding into the turbo right??

i noticed pre-restrictor the turbo would sip some oil. then after the dipstick stayed the same. no black smoke,seal leak etc.
Old 09-27-12, 05:18 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-12, 07:18 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

well if it worked for you then it worked, but I have a **** ton of miles on a holset and no oil in my intake or exh. Besides, you still need a different turbo anyway if you ever wanna really enjoy your car. 16cm housing on a 1jz is gayer than aids.

usually -3 for bb and -4 for journal.
Old 09-27-12, 08:50 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1.05 A/R is not gay at all.

Most Borg's start at .88 A/R as an option, and have .98 and 1.05 off the shelf sizes.

Nice rebuttal though.
Old 09-27-12, 11:03 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Turboford.org has some good info on Holsets, as the 2.3T runs well with those turbos. A buddy of mine made upwards of 600rwhp and ran 10.40's @ 143 on a 2.3 with a Holset and a lot of headwork. I'm not comparing a 2.3 Ford 4 cylinder to a 1JZ as far as flow and rev characteristics, but either way there is a lot of Holset tech on that board.

Quick Reply: Hx35 Holset Help