Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1121 code, tried a few things but nothing! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 11:20 AM
VoidsGTO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few hours. I also have a scanner to clear codes but it doesnt read real time data.
Old 09-28-12, 04:24 PM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MD99SC300
The accelerator position sensor is this one, closest to the firewall:

As for the box they speak of on the PDF, that's the ECM (ECU) located on the passenger side underneath the carpet (atleast on the SC300 it's there). You should check all the voltages on the sensor PINs before checking the ECM though (VPA, VPA2). Thats the way the manual says the troubleshoot.
Can someone confirm if this is the accelerator pedal position sensor? Everything I see online says it is the throttle position sensor. Thanks in advance. I'm having the same issue, solid check engine, limp mode, flashing trac light and error code P1121. Just want to make sure before I purchase the part as most places for the APPS say around $300 but for the throttle positions sensor it is uner $100.

THANKS
Old 09-28-12, 04:55 PM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

nevermind found the entire throttle body.
1 last question, how are you guys able to remove the accelerator position sensor. I can get to 2 screws easily and can see a 3rd but the 4th is hidden. Is the only way to remove the entire throttle body?
Old 09-28-12, 08:21 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you have to remove entire tb. Its pretty easy to do as well.
Old 09-30-12, 11:11 AM
MD99SC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pinktri
nevermind found the entire throttle body.
1 last question, how are you guys able to remove the accelerator position sensor. I can get to 2 screws easily and can see a 3rd but the 4th is hidden. Is the only way to remove the entire throttle body?
See the PDF titled "REPL.pdf" that Quicksc4 posted; that PDF shows exactly how to replace the APPS, TCM and the TPS (If that needs to be replaced but is rarely the issue) along with pictures of how each look. There are 4 screws and total on the APPS, these need to be removed, take note of the metal stopper thingy that'll need to be moved out of the way to remove the 2 lower screws. There is no need to remove the entire throttle body as I replaced the APPS without doing so.
Old 10-01-12, 04:42 PM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

MD thanks! I appreciate it. I'll try and do it without removing the whole throttle body. How's the car running? I noticed the CE light and trac off flashing after driving on the highway and running into traffic. Now when I clear it it comes on from normal stop and go traffic too. Every time I pull the code it's P1121 guaranteed. I really hope this solves the issue. This car has been a tank for me. 12 years, 230,000 miles and all I've replaced are 2 O2 sensors and the ball joints. Wife wants to buy a new car for me but I can't let go! Wanna break 300k and hopefully 400k.
Old 10-01-12, 06:50 PM
MD99SC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pinktri
MD thanks! I appreciate it. I'll try and do it without removing the whole throttle body. How's the car running? I noticed the CE light and trac off flashing after driving on the highway and running into traffic. Now when I clear it it comes on from normal stop and go traffic too. Every time I pull the code it's P1121 guaranteed. I really hope this solves the issue. This car has been a tank for me. 12 years, 230,000 miles and all I've replaced are 2 O2 sensors and the ball joints. Wife wants to buy a new car for me but I can't let go! Wanna break 300k and hopefully 400k.
Car is running good, no CE light at all after 3.5 weeks of driving it. I did alot of intensive research on this because I didn't want to shell out $200+ on the APPS and find it was the TCM or vice-versa. Every where I seemed to read pointed at the APPS so it is very likely that the APPS is culprit. Although, if you were like me and bought a whole throttle body with the APPS and TCM for $100 you save yourself from gambling with these high priced parts.

By the way, I have a TCM from the throttle body if anyone wants to buy it. And of course the throttle body itself.
Old 10-02-12, 05:17 AM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MD99SC300
Car is running good, no CE light at all after 3.5 weeks of driving it. I did alot of intensive research on this because I didn't want to shell out $200+ on the APPS and find it was the TCM or vice-versa. Every where I seemed to read pointed at the APPS so it is very likely that the APPS is culprit. Although, if you were like me and bought a whole throttle body with the APPS and TCM for $100 you save yourself from gambling with these high priced parts.

By the way, I have a TCM from the throttle body if anyone wants to buy it. And of course the throttle body itself.
thanks, I did the same and purchased an entire throttle body. Should be here on Thursday and will install on the weekend. Will report back. I'm thinking we got it from the same guy on ebay, hope the part is functioning......crossing fingers
Old 10-04-12, 07:26 PM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the apps today and was able todo it without removing the throttle body. Thanks MD. Drove around for a bit and all seems well. Will report back after a few days. Usually the CE and limp mode happens pretty quick so I'll have an idea if it worked real soon
Old 10-16-12, 11:10 AM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

just an update, about 400miles logged and no issues with the check engine light or trac flashing. Car is running great. thanks again guys, threads like these really help keep our cars alive!!!
Old 11-20-12, 01:35 AM
Mandogs300
Driver School Candidate

Where can I buy the apps?
Old 11-20-12, 04:28 PM
pinktri
Driver School Candidate

I don't know where you can buy a new one. I purchased the entire throttle body off eBay and removed the apps.
Old 11-20-12, 07:39 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea its cheaper to buy a used tb then try to buy a new apps. I may have a spare apps laying around. ill check and get back to you.
Old 01-16-13, 08:59 AM
GRANYZ400
Driver

I am having this issue now. Pretty freaky really. Sometimes i have my kids in the car. 108K miles on mine. Happened when I put it into reverse. P1121 code and VSC light. Cleared on its own but code was stored.

Trying to figure out the best place to buy the APPS at this point. All the TB assy's I have found are more expensive anyway.

Going price seems to be around $250. Ouch!
Old 03-07-17, 04:20 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a brand new APP sensor and installed over the weekend. Still I am getting the engine light on and TRAC light blinking. The accelerator pedal still stuck to the floor. should I change the Throttle Position Sensor?

Quick Reply: P1121 code, tried a few things but nothing! Help!