Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen intake on a 97 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 07:37 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Injen intake on a 97 SC300

So last Thursday I was able to install an Injen intake on my 97 SC300. For years it has been a bit unclear as to whether or not this intake would fit on a 97 non VVTI SC and I can say now beyond a shadow of a doubt it fits with no issues. I have read a few other threads talking about whether yes it will fit or no it won't so I wanted to actually make a thread that proves it does fit with some explanation. Just trying to help out the community that has already done so much for me all these years. I decided to paint it Matte Black since it goes with the rest of the car and it was originally blue which was not going to work. Couple of key points to note:

-You will need an extra coupler (or maybe you will get one if you ever buy it from someone) in order to attach the original Injen coupler to the MAF of the 97 SC. Reason I say this is because the Injen coupler is not the right size so it won't fit correctly (See pics below)

-You will need extra clamps in order to make sure this thing won't come apart when driving (I would say an extra 2 since you will re-use the ones already on your car and maybe you will get some with your intake kit)

-The power steering sensor hose from your stock SC will not be long enough to reach the hole on the Injen intake as well as it is not the right size to fit on the Injen intake. You will need to buy some extra hose to fit on top of the stock power steering sensor hose which will also fit just fine on the hose connector on the Injen intake (Again see pics below)

-The MAF on the 97 SC fits perfect on the 3" filter directly. Just put a clamp over this area and you are set to go (See pics below)

Keep in mind I did this purely for asthetic purposes and no real functional use. I already know the Injen intake does not really add HP or anything like that so no need to remind me. Got a really good deal for it and no other plans for this motor anytime in the near future. Once grad school is over in 2 years then a whole new motor will get dropped in (Maybe GTE or NA-T). For now I am happy with the results so could not have asked for anything more. Also I am not 100% if this would work on VVTI motors so sorry but someone will have to experiment to see if it would work or not. Again just wanted to post this up for future reference for fellow members to look back on with pics in case they are ever interested or not sure. Thanks again