Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

quick question about my swap w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 09:16 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about my swap w/pics

i just have two quick questions for the pro's out there...

Here is a picture of the alternator wiring, as you can see the alt wiring has been cut, it has been cut because the wiring from the oval plug was part of the body harness.

the problem is, on my 94, the alt wiring is a round plug and was part of the engine harness.

all I have on my car is this single alt wire. My question is.... how do I make this work?

I know everyone's answer will be to send it to dr tweak but my car is completely stripped out and all I need is a running motor, I dont have a radio, A/C or anything.. I just want a running car. my ignition, fuel pump etc will all be ran on a switch in the dash. this is my drift car.

also when i got my my motor in it looks like the TPS casing is bent a little, I'm wondering if this would give me boost leak?

Old 07-09-12, 09:36 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

I was also wanting a direct answer for the alternator issue here. I know there will be a swarm of people that say to search, but there isn't a good answer anywhere about how these wires need to be attached.
Old 07-09-12, 10:50 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On my understanding, you can use the stock wiring from the car side if both plugs are the same. This is what i did and worked perfect. In your case, you have a different plug. I beleive you can just splice the wires to make it work, but it appears that you are missing some wires too. What motor is that? 1Jz or 2jz aristo or soarer? Or do you know?
Old 07-09-12, 11:01 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

For examples sake, mine is a Soarer
Old 07-09-12, 11:37 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

It is a 94 Lexus sc300 and the motor is a chaser 1jz.

On my original motor the three alt wires are on the engine harness. On the 1jz, they came from the body harness and were cut. So now I have nowhere to wire these to. are there any shortcuts or any way to make it work?
Old 07-09-12, 11:53 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

My motor came the exact same way. The only info I've found is color coding, where the wires are *supposed* to go and their function. The info where they were supposed to go has been hard to follow and not conclusive though and it didnt make sense as to why they were cut off in the first place and not tied into the GE factory loom.

Not trying to hijack your thread for my well being here man, just trying to get some good information in one place for the community.
Old 07-09-12, 12:08 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

after the swaps i have done this is what i can tell you.
on 92-94 SC the alternator plug is part of the engine harness and it's the Round plug
on 95+ it's oval and it's part of the engine bay harness on the right side.

you might have to rewire the alternator wires those 3 wires!
Old 07-09-12, 12:10 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Mine is a 93, I had the round plug. I assume his would fall in the same year category since we both are in the same boat
Old 07-09-12, 12:13 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

here is the 92-94 alternator pinout
and 95+ alternator pinout just rewire it and you good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
charging 93 sc300.pdf (25.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: pdf
charging 95sc.pdf (29.8 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-09-12, 12:19 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Or if you are not good with wiring just remove the Round plug from your GE harness and just add it in your GTE harness at the same location!
Old 07-09-12, 12:28 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFrymyah

Not trying to hijack your thread for my well being here man, just trying to get some good information in one place for the community.
No worries man, hopefully we can figure this out together.

and QUICKSC4, thanks for posting that, but honestly I have no idea what any of that means.

I realize I have to extend the three wires to a certain place, that part is simple. It's just a matter of figuring out where to wire them in.

I ran into the same problem after trying to put a 2jzGE motor from a 97 into this same car, and pulled the motor back out because I couldn't figure it out. but now that i paid $2750 for a 1jz/r154 setup, I have to figure this out.

anyone?
Old 07-09-12, 12:38 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

if there is a shortcut / race car like way to make it work i'm down. My only concern is that if a 94 has the wires in the engine harness, those wires must go to the ECU, and if on a 97 those wires are in the body harness, then it's getting its charge from something in the body, now if i tried to rig it up somehow in the ECU, how would the ECU read it and reconize the signal or whatever it does if it wasnt suposed to go there?

I know a lot of people might be thinking that this is the "different alt plug" issue, where you would simply cut the plug and wire in your other. that's not the case here at all.

the problem is that since the alt plug from a 94 is in the engine harness, and the alt plug from a 97 is in the body harness, while swapping in a 1jz from a 97, we are left with NO alt plugs on either harness
Old 07-09-12, 01:05 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Those wires don't go to the ECU check the pinout above it tells where those wires go.

Y-G goes to the cluster combination meter

Middle on gors to the body plug

White wire goes to the fuse box on the driver side.
Old 07-09-12, 02:21 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

This still makes no sense to me.

is there any way you can show us exactly what to wire into, for the sake of the whole community, those who do not send their harness to dr. tweak?
Old 07-09-12, 02:35 PM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DRFT103
if there is a shortcut / race car like way to make it work i'm down. My only concern is that if a 94 has the wires in the engine harness, those wires must go to the ECU, and if on a 97 those wires are in the body harness, then it's getting its charge from something in the body, now if i tried to rig it up somehow in the ECU, how would the ECU read it and reconize the signal or whatever it does if it wasnt suposed to go there?

I know a lot of people might be thinking that this is the "different alt plug" issue, where you would simply cut the plug and wire in your other. that's not the case here at all.

the problem is that since the alt plug from a 94 is in the engine harness, and the alt plug from a 97 is in the body harness, while swapping in a 1jz from a 97, we are left with NO alt plugs on either harness
The year of the 1JZ is irrelevant, the CHASSIS it came out of is where this alternator nonsense comes into play. Chasers have the alternator in the engine BAY harness, while Soarers have it in the ENGINE harness. Since your harness is from a Chaser, you don't have any alternator wiring in the actual engine harness and you'll need to add that in.

Quick Reply: quick question about my swap w/pics