Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

my 95sc400 CA smog test 2011 and 2012 numbers got better after mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 04:26 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 95sc400 CA smog test 2011 and 2012 numbers got better after mods

hi i would like to share my smog numbers since i had previouss smog papers from previous owner also did only minor mods to the car which was free i only paid for the coolant sensors and the fuel filter which was even discounted(well no tax was added) even got the oil change for free and transmission drain and fill just had to do it my self they where tryng to persuade me to get an oil change i just wanted a battery cuz my car came with a ****in honda civic battery so i told them if i do my own oil change using ur shop in less than 15 mins i get the oil for free busted out the snapon (always gottta have my tools wit me)and with my kung fu death grip bam! done in 5min but the guy at valvoline was nice enough to get the oil for me and gimme the oil filter very cool guys if you get to know them jus chat it up with them just dont ask for a discount right away thats just rude, smog was $55 i only had 53 bucks so i started looking for change in my car and the lady said its ok dont worry about it no electronic send thing w/e i still gotta go to dmv to show them smog papers

1995 sc400
date-6/13/11
mileage-234068(previous owner changed dash did not tell me)
Gas-unknown
car was bought stock as far as i know no mods where made to it yet
Visual-PASS
15 mph- RPM (1486]) - CO2 (15.1) - O2 (0.0 ) - HC (45) - CO (0.10) - NO (98) - PASS
25 mph- RPM (1452) - CO2 (15.1)- O2 (0.0) - HC (17) - CO (0.06) - NO (138) - PASS

when i took it to smog, car was stock when i bought it engine was running good for 2XXX,XXX miles only problem with the car was
the interior was shot out door panels in the trunk which where broken in half and one of the rack and pinion bolts on the mount(vertical one) was completley off found the bolt stuck on the skid plate lol(i drove the **** from miramar (san diego) to chula vista(south san diego) about 30 miles in the rain almost crashed called the guy what was the most recent work done to the car he said "front axels where replaced" but found out rack and pinion bushings where bad cuz i put bolt back on but went loose again started hearing a squeak sounded like a old *** door when i try to angle for dips nd speedbumps

mods done(besides suspension and interior work)
USED MAF- got it at junk yard came off an older lexus ls400 not sure but i think P/N was FMZ3AYY1 cant remember too dark to pop my hood and check right now
NEW coolant temp sensor
NEW temp sender sensor(w/e the name is)
NEW fuel filter(stripped the bolt ended up cutting one side off the fuel line and just used a silicone hose with clamps for temporary until i get a flare kit for fuel lines plan on doing some kind of quick disconnect kind of thing )
12v mod to fuel ecu
throttle cable and the trans cable was tightened to have very little slack
tps sensor position was turned fully counter clockwise(to the right)
both coils replaced with slightly better ones from junkyard the ones i had tested like 0.8-XX-.09XX ohms ones from junkyard each coil came off a different ls400, but they tested 0.6XX, and the other 0.7XX not sure but i think specs is like 0.5XX-0.4XX
that sensor on the trans was also disconnected i can deal with the flashing o/d light

NOTE: i dont know if this makes a difference but did one oil change since i bought the car, also drove it with no exhaust(unbolted before resonators)
for like 2 months also installed my stock MK3 supra turbo intake box with K&N drop in filter(box was cut open kinda like the bfi)but put stock airbox back on the day of smog with a new filter but air filter was not for car, it fits but its a little smaller than stock air filter, gas was on E so i guesstimate i had maybe about 13 miles left but light was not on,also no fuel additives where added to the car when i bought it , nothing in a can or bottle was put into either the engine or gas tank from when i bought the car to when it got smogged, did not replace spark plugs distributor cap and rotor spark plug wires, i did not change 02 sensor or any cats since previous owner which is unknown

Date-6/8/12
mileage-230353(dash changed did not know but air bag light was on but was not in accident)
Gas-91 octane SHELL or CHEVRON gas ONLY sometimes 76 gas station but SHELL 91 was used during smog test
Visual-PASS
15 mph- RPM (1552 ) -CO2 (14.7 ) -O2 (0.1) - HC (13) -CO (0.04) - NO (56 )- PASS
25 mph-RPM (1537) - CO2 (14.8 )- O2 (0.0) - HC (13) - CO (0.05) - NO (268) - PASS

one thing i noticed im not a smog tech but correct me if im wrong please, im just learning about this smog im just a parts installer, but car is running lean and exhaust gasses got hotter from previous smog test,
so car did better on everything except NO on 25mph which makes me beleive the MAF from the ls400 influenced the numbers also with a new coolant temp sensor(car had spark knock when flooring it changed coolant sensors spark knock gone) but anyways those little mods i believe make a difference especially for cost and availability of the parts used are from cars found in a pick your part, coolant temp sensor was at oreilys for like 20 bucks cant remember
i would like to hear everyones input and if im reading this smog test correct,some reason im addicted to reading before and after smog test numbers ever since i bought the car
Old 06-10-12, 03:32 PM
ChrisH
Rookie

Which sensor did you detach from the transmission? If you have a pic that would be great, thinking of doing this myself.
Old 06-10-12, 06:59 PM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

sorry no pic but but the sensor is called overdrive clutch speed sensor heres link where i got info though very useful
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...l?ref=esp-link
Old 06-10-12, 08:02 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not, those numbers are actually pretty identical as far as mathematical error goes. They are more likely skewed due to calibration than any of the mods you may have, especially since physics doesn't allow for matter and molecules to easily just disappear as your recent numbers suggest.

Either you are making LESS power than before and flowing LESS air and fuel or, more likely, the probe calibration is just slightly off.

Regardless, congrats on having a clean running V8!
Old 06-11-12, 12:12 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

thank you for your input to me those numbers look like a big difference like i said im still learning how to read those smog things i was worried about the HC% from previous smog because max hc was like 56 or something and thought i had to smog july 2 but was june 2nd, and i did not notice thice on June 6 the day i went to smog it lol which explains why i did no oil change, no gas, no tune-up because i had no time anyways big difference was that coolant temp sensor had crust around the sensor when i took it off other than that since it passed smog the first time and the money i saved i can now work on my 2jzge and 7mgte engines, sad thing 7m is head and block complete missing crank , my 2jz is just block has crankshaft no head crank for 7m is the about the same price as a 2jz head...i dont wanna scrap the 7m that engine i have has been through some ****
Old 06-12-12, 03:55 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I wouldn't be to concern if i were you. Your numbers looks good.