Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Old 03-13-15, 11:44 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, most guys use a grinder to get the necessary clearance.

As to your other question, for starters there's a lot more than displacement and valve train technology that goes into fuel mileage. The most important factors are VE and BSFC. Compare VE / BSFC of the 1uz to that LS3, I'll bet a $1, your answer lies in that data.

Also many of the the LS motors have active fuel management. All are sequential injection, (iirc only 96-97 SC's are sequential) and the air fuel ratios achieved during cruising and part throttle are much leaner fuel trims than the 1uz.
Old 03-14-15, 08:12 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Yes, most guys use a grinder to get the necessary clearance.

As to your other question, for starters there's a lot more than displacement and valve train technology that goes into fuel mileage. The most important factors are VE and BSFC. Compare VE / BSFC of the 1uz to that LS3, I'll bet a $1, your answer lies in that data.

Also many of the the LS motors have active fuel management. All are sequential injection, (iirc only 96-97 SC's are sequential) and the air fuel ratios achieved during cruising and part throttle are much leaner fuel trims than the 1uz.
SO is it this section that should be cut?
350Z trans adapter?-bv2m4uy.png

so your telling me I can get better gas mileage if I change the fuel trims on the car correct?
Old 03-15-15, 09:32 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will certainly get better gas mileage if you get a standalone ECU and tune the timing/fuel maps as lean as possible for cruising without causing detonation or too high EGTs. the 1JZ/2JZ are designed in the late 80s and early 90s. i actually also got the 350z trans and 1jz vvti motor partly because i wanted to do my 50 mile daily roundtrip in the car and get decent gas mileage. with the 1jz and 350z trans and stock 3.9 rear end i am averaging 22-23mpg in mixed driving and the 'winter' here in Seattle. I haven't gone on road trip to figure out myhigh freeway gas mileage. i havent put my 3.26 rear end on yet but that will help bring cruising rpms on the highway from 2500 to closer to 2000 at 65mph. i do have huge rear tires too which help bring rpms down, not sure if i'll keep that with the 3.26 rear end.

interesting that you are having to notch your transmission though. i did not. are your parts any different from mine? here are some pics from when i installed mine. http://imgur.com/6YORMBA
Old 03-15-15, 07:45 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

this is for a 1UZ, I am sure the starter for the 2JZ is placed elsewhere.
Old 03-17-15, 01:09 AM
jbrandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by PseudoK
SO is it this section that should be cut?
It is more over to the side where I placed the red circle.

Old 03-18-15, 03:49 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

uh I need to say again this is for the 1UZ, wasnt this supposed to be for the starter located in the valley of the V?
Old 03-19-15, 06:53 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

the 1uz starter will be up top there with the yellow circle. looks like you still gotta take it in to have 5/8 ground off the bellhousing too, after that you cant find out by test fitting what you need to grind, no point going to town blind on it.

Marko
Old 03-20-15, 04:19 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

So there is no one here that has done the swap and knows?
Old 03-20-15, 06:19 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

are you looking for a diagram of how much to cut where? I doubt anyone here has taken the time to document that, most people just make it work by trial and error. the only person who might have taken measurements and written it down is collins himself, send him an e-mail yet?
Old 03-20-15, 11:18 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by estomax
are you looking for a diagram of how much to cut where? I doubt anyone here has taken the time to document that, most people just make it work by trial and error. the only person who might have taken measurements and written it down is collins himself, send him an e-mail yet?
I am still trying to deal with the fact that I haven't gotten my clutch and pressure plate after 2 months. he isnt the most reliable on getting back to me on all my questions.
Old 03-23-15, 04:34 AM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

I am still trying to deal with the fact that I haven't gotten my clutch and pressure plate after 2 months. he isnt the most reliable on getting back to me on all my questions.
That's really not good to hear. I was intending to drop $2600 to get the kit for my 2J this week. What's the deal? Have you paid in full and are waiting still?
Old 03-23-15, 11:00 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

he is slow to respond from my experience too, i think this is his side gig and he probably has a full time job and a life outside it so that might explain it.. but it took me 4-5 months to get all my stuff.

Marko
Old 03-23-15, 12:00 PM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Originally Posted by estomax
he is slow to respond from my experience too, i think this is his side gig and he probably has a full time job and a life outside it so that might explain it.. but it took me 4-5 months to get all my stuff.

Marko
Understood. I spoke w/ him today. Very prompt and friendly. Possible that those parts may not be in stock. I'd try to give him a ring if you can to get squared up. I'm going down in a week to pickup the kit for my SC.
Old 03-23-15, 05:09 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MacGyverQu
That's really not good to hear. I was intending to drop $2600 to get the kit for my 2J this week. What's the deal? Have you paid in full and are waiting still?
I got the clutch and pressure plate today
350Z trans adapter?-rjad0pe.png

looking up the part numbers, it seems to be an OEM Aisin 3SGTE pressure plate painted blue and a FX/F1/XTD ebay clutch, REALLY havnt heard much good about these.

I hope gripforce will warranty these parts, I wish I could trade it in for a credit towards Exedy or ACT, but as long as this holds up no problem

and I guess the reason it took so long for the clutch parts is because it comes from another retailer, gripforce. so I guess its on them for the delay.

Ordered and paid in full on January 31st got the final parts today, most came around the one month mark.

I guess this is all pretty good for custom order parts no?

Last edited by PseudoK; 03-23-15 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 11:37 AM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

I got the clutch and pressure plate today
and I guess the reason it took so long for the clutch parts is because it comes from another retailer, gripforce. so I guess its on them for the delay.

Ordered and paid in full on January 31st got the final parts today, most came around the one month mark.

I guess this is all pretty good for custom order parts no?
Yea, that's really good for custom order parts. Communication is key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?