Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 11:29 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical help please!

ok so today i went to take my stereo apart and finally installed an auxiliary port into it, using this write up https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...n-your-sc.html. So after i completed it i have found a loose wire, my stereo screen back light wont light up, and the thermometer in the dash is completely off... i checked all the plugs to make sure they went back in securely and tried disconnecting and reconnecting them. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Electrical help please!-image.jpg   Electrical help please!-image-2-.jpg   Electrical help please!-image-1-.jpg  
Old 03-22-12, 12:52 PM
antonio356
Driver

If the first picture is the picture of the 'loose' wire it is your antenna connection. Helps you get radio stations and sometimes can act as a ground.. If you check the back of your radio you will see a round slot for it. Connect it in there... As for the other issues I can't really says.. Double check the wires at the bottom underneath the radio again..
Old 03-22-12, 03:52 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

For the antenna connection, I already have 2 wires plugged into the stereo, is there another connection I'm not seeing or something? I'll check the wires again when I'm home could it be that I messed up the display when I took apart the stereo? I also noticed that my LCD in the ac stays on even when I turn my headlights off.
Old 03-22-12, 06:02 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Climate LCD stays on.

As for the antenna connection, there only 2, one small and one big. Not sure where that 3rd one came from unless there is an aftermarket antenna installed. Trace that one and the big one plugged into the radio and see where they go. I believe it is going through the driver's side right to the factory antenna in the trunk behind the left cover.

Also it might help you checking the fuses. One or more might have gone out or something as the thermometer in the cluster has nothing to do with the radio. All I know is that its a heat grid and not a bulb so -22F might have something to do with it? Somebody else might have a better answer for that other than a guess.
Old 03-22-12, 06:35 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Unplug and plug in the battery for the -22 issue.

Also, you've probably got an aftermarket antenna/cellphone antenna - trace it via a volt meter.

Double check all the connections behind the radio, if you left one of the harnesses unplugged at any point it will not work - also, make sure you got the harness on the left that plugs into the emergency hazard/volume/temp ****.
Old 03-22-12, 08:41 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

i'm not aware of any aftermarket antenna's or anything, i was wondering could it be for the factory integrated phone? and which fuse box were you referring to , the one under the hood or the one by the pedals? i dont have a volt meter available so idk how i'd check that, and the hazard/ volume and temp ***** are all in place. as for the stereo harnesses themselves theyre all in as well.
Old 03-22-12, 10:12 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

You have a 97, connections are there but not connected or even routed. You should only have 2 antenna wires unless there is an aftermarket antenna attached. If you dont have a voltmeter to trace it, use the old fashioned way and trace the wire itself to see where it goes.

As for the fusebox it doesnt hurt to check both boxes, you never know whats out. For the radio there are 2 fuses one under the hood and one in the kick panel. They're marked as RADIO #1 and RADIO #2.
Old 03-23-12, 03:27 AM
fliaznguy
Rookie

When you say you already have two antennae plugged in, are you sure they aren't remote lines for the power antennae and the disc changer? Just venturing a guess.
Old 03-23-12, 02:23 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Ok well I checked the fuses, and they're all fine. And the cd changer was working just fine when I plugged it in, but now I have another problem, after i took the dash apart to check the harnesses, the stereo won't power on at all...
Old 03-23-12, 02:47 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Please take a picture of everything behind the radio and post it for us please.
Old 03-23-12, 03:20 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

^ That.

Also is your climate working correctly?

Note that theres a ground point at the bottom left screw of the metal frame that holds the climate and radio together onto the center console. Make sure its screwed in.
Old 03-23-12, 04:04 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

i posted some pictures on the bottom.

well my climate control works fine but as soon as i took it apart the next time the lcd backlight stopped working as well. and where exactly is the ground point?
Attached Thumbnails Electrical help please!-image-3-.jpg   Electrical help please!-image-4-.jpg   Electrical help please!-image-5-.jpg   Electrical help please!-photo-3.jpg   Electrical help please!-photo-5.jpg  

Old 03-23-12, 04:06 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

all the wires
Attached Thumbnails Electrical help please!-image-6-.jpg  
Old 03-23-12, 10:31 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

The one in the middle is an after market.

At the bottom right corner of this picture, just where the antenna wire is behind that metal piece. That is the ground point see where that yellow wire is connected to it.. Make sure its connected and when you screw in the frame thats one of the important screws to be there.

Other than that everything seems intact, no broken that I can see wires. Do you connect the cig lighter? Its a blue 4-pin connector. Thats really all I can think off.

Last edited by Kalogerus; 03-23-12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 10:35 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

My ground is actually attached on the bottom left - but if you don't connect that 90% of the electronics there won't work right.

The middle antenna has the foam on it which makes me think it's OEM - possibly phone but I thought they used a different connector in the car.

Quick Reply: Electrical help please!