Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

94 SC400 Check Engine Light & TRAC Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 04:36 AM
joemonb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 SC400 Check Engine Light & TRAC Light Issue

Hello:

I have a 1994 SC400 that had both the check engine light and TRAC lights on at the same time. I posted this issue on this forum previously, and got responses to check the EGR Value and 02 sensors, because they might be the problem. I took he car Friday to a mechanic my Nephew recommended and he plugged a scanning tool in under the dash and got NO error codes. He did get a text message indicating, "lean exhaust", which he said indicates I might have a small leak somewhere in the exhaust, which he couldn't find on Friday. So he pulled one of the fuses, 30 amp, from the fuse box and waited 30 seconds and this reset both the check engine and TRAC lights, so now I'm light free. He told me to drive the car for 30 days to see if the lights return, because sometimes these cars read false codes and the lights come on when there's no problem. Just wondering if the "lean exhaust" message he got with the scanning tool, is indeed, a leak in the exhaust? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-22-12, 08:37 AM
silveradob
Driver School Candidate

bump back up!!! because i have the same issue wondering what the problem is... help guys
Old 04-23-12, 04:28 AM
joemonb
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Check Engine Light and TRAC Light

I had my car scanned again at a local shop and they found only the "lean exhaust" message on the scanner, but no error codes. They told me I could have a small leak in my exhaust, even though there's no noise, and that's why they get the "lean exhaust" message. This shop reset the computer on the car, the lights went out, but they do come on and go off again from time to time. After three scans on the car, I honestly don't know what else to try, so for now I'm going to keep driving and enjoying the car, the lights do not affect my performance, just pain in the butt!!
Old 04-25-12, 07:35 AM
silveradob
Driver School Candidate

same here! the car runs the same... i guess were the only ones with this issue. any help would be great guys..
Old 04-25-12, 09:42 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

What are codes exactly?
Old 04-25-12, 11:01 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

You have a bad ecu.
Old 04-25-12, 07:28 PM
silveradob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trevstuh
You have a bad ecu.
get out!!
Old 04-30-12, 04:17 AM
joemonb
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Check Engine Light and TRAC Light

I don't think we are alone with this problem, I think it is a common problem with the SC400, but the cause of the problem can be many different things. I've had my car scanned 3 times now and there were "no error codes", only a text message that said, "lean exhaust", which the mechanic said I might have a very small pin hole in my exhaust somewhere, which he couldn't find when he checked out the car. All 3 mechanics who scanned the car, said there was nothing they could find wrong with the car, so they reset the computer, and told me to keep an eye on it. I'm not sure what the ECU is in the car, or if it would have shown up as being bad when I had the scans done. First Japanese car I've ever owned, time to sell and go back to BMW, never had any of these problems with the BMWs I owned. Any comments would be appreciated about the SC400 issue. Thanks, Joe