Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 seems like leaking oil

Old 02-17-12, 09:26 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sc300 seems like leaking oil

Hello all,

Recently got a hand me down sc300 with 232k miles on it. The car cosmetically and mechanically feels great. No knocking or anything from the engine and fires up with that great sound. It's completely stock and from what I can tell, no modifications has been done to it. I don't see any oil dripping under the car or anything.

Anyhow, I do see some oil (it looks like) leaking from the side of the engine onto the headers?

Is it a viable easy fix like a gasket? Or what could the problem be? I plan to just make the car operational and if I do, do any mods; it'll be in the future.
Attached Thumbnails sc300 seems like leaking oil-img_20120217_095614.jpg  
Old 02-17-12, 10:41 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a very slow leak in the same area. I've been told multiple times that it's most likely my valve cover and haven't gotten around to fixing it. It's most likely the gasket in there though. Cheap, easy, but time consuming. That's just my experience. Good luck
Old 02-17-12, 10:48 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Originally Posted by Shayy
I have a very slow leak in the same area. I've been told multiple times that it's most likely my valve cover and haven't gotten around to fixing it. It's most likely the gasket in there though. Cheap, easy, but time consuming. That's just my experience. Good luck
Thank you for the reply.

Is this something that can turn into something major? I don't know how long my brother in law has left it like this. Is this something I can left unattended for 3-500 miles before fixing it? I got this car as a hand me down and we are taking it with us when we move (approx 100 miles away) and will most likely be making 2-3 trips.

Hope for replies soon. Thanks. How long have you left yours unattended for?
Old 02-17-12, 11:04 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that's looks to be a valve cover leak. May want to replace distributor o-ring while you're at it. A leak like this is not anything critical. This slow leak can place residue on the exhaust manifold and burn, you may smell burnt oil and see smoke. Other than that a leak like this unattended for a long period of time can potentially hide other leaks. As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and keep it topped off you'll be fine.
Old 02-17-12, 11:28 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Originally Posted by SChema
Yep, that's looks to be a valve cover leak. May want to replace distributor o-ring while you're at it. A leak like this is not anything critical. This slow leak can place residue on the exhaust manifold and burn, you may smell burnt oil and see smoke. Other than that a leak like this unattended for a long period of time can potentially hide other leaks. As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and keep it topped off you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little more assured on the trip now.