Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 motor and motor harness in 1995 sc300 now have warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 05:24 PM
Raffi31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 motor and motor harness in 1995 sc300 now have warning lights

So, here's my first post and It's a bastard.. I bought a 1995 pearl white sc300 with NO moonroof (i have never seen before in AZ) and is IMMACULATE inside and out aesthetically, which I guess is the CA emissions model? I bought it from a buddy who traded it for another car. The original IDIOT who traded cars with my buddy was a student at UTI and put an eBay turbo kit on it, along with cutting 95 percent of the engine harness and twisting the wires back together.. Why he cut the harness I have no idea.. So rather than reversing someone else's mess up, I decided to purchased a wrecked car and simply swap motors. The donor car was a 92 sc300.. Now that I have studied up on the variants between 92-94, 95 and 96, and 97 and up, I have now learned that the years are very different. I used to think 92-96 were the same.. Nope..

Anyhow, I swapped the motor and it now runs and works great.. BUT, I am now getting 3 warning lights..

1. Airbag
2. Abs
3. Oil level warning

Assuming that they were just bad from the donor being wrecked, I bought a new abs motor, and oil level sensor.. To find out that the abs motor functions properly after testing it, and when I unplug the oil level sensor plug, the AIRBAG light shuts off... So I have a feeling that the pinout for the 92-94 and 95-96 is different although the plugs are identical. Does anyone here have any idea where to start diagnosing? I work at Full-Race and have one of the EFR turbochargers to install but want to figure these 3 small issues out prior to install. I know they will not effect the performance of the motor but I don't like staring at these warning indicators and would rather figure them out instead of just removing the bulbs from the cluster. Car already passed emissions with flying colors and am excited to install the turbo setup that we have but I'm stubborn and refuse to without figuring out why these warning lights are on, especially my airbag light when I plug the oil level sensor in.. Ultimately I purchased the car for less than what I purchased the wrecked car for... Haha. White project car=400 dollars, salvaged donor car=850..... So it's been worth the headache.. But I have an EFR8374 in twin scroll .92a/r internal gate and if anyone has been keeping up with those turbos, you have a better chance eating dinner with Jesus himself, or owning a pet unicorn than having one of these, and I NEED to resolve these minor issues before I install it.

Any help would be fantastic before I start randomly removing pins from connectors and moving them around..

Thanks for the help in advance, and I apologize if I caused any of you to get brain aneurysms just from reading this whole post.. I will reward anyone who comes up with the winning solution by offering a nice discount on any product (excluding the EFR) we have or make.... Btw, I am begging the owner of FR to make distributor cap friendly manifolds, he's not opposed as long as there is a demand for it..

Good luck and god speed.. Lol

Raffi@full-race.com
Old 02-02-12, 11:38 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's Normal Raffi.
You just need to move the pins at the body plugs. compare your old harness body plug pin with the 92 one and you will see that those 3 wires are in different pin.
I ran into that issue when i first did my 1jzgte swap in my 92 SC300, couple weeks after the swap i decided to swap everything in my 95 SC300 which i did but i had the same exact light on my dash .i had to do it manuallly and match everything up.
Old 02-02-12, 03:06 PM
Raffi31
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the response. So are you referring to one of the harness plugs that are plugged in under the passenger kick panel?

Very promising that it's only 3 wires out of place, should I be matching the colors? I was worried that the colors meant had different values between the 2.. I guess my next question is which plug out of the 4 or 5 is the body plug?
Old 02-02-12, 04:30 PM
Raffi31
Driver School Candidate

Quicksc4, I just figured the abs light out! Now I'm trying to figure out what the airbag light is.. I know the oil sensor plug is the purple with red, and I found it on one of the plugs.. Will it need to be swapped for another wire on the same plug or a different one for it to not trigger the airbag light?