Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Gas/Fuel in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:39 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Gas/Fuel in Throttle Body

Hello CL Family-

I recently replaced the starter on my 92' SC400 and ran into an issue. The car has a rough idle, rich smell (thick smoke), and gas is leaking into the throttle body. I've removed everything twice, checked all the connections, replaced all gaskets with ones from the dealership, ECU, fuel pump ecu mod, replaced IAC, TPS, MAF, and PCV valve. My spark plugs continue to foul which I'm assuming is from the extra fuel. I am lost as to what could cause fuel to be dumped into the throttle body. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-11, 09:01 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Have you checked to see if an injector is hanging open?
Old 12-20-11, 09:04 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

How do I do that?
Old 12-20-11, 09:05 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

And all my plugs were foul.. don't know if that matters or not
Old 12-20-11, 09:06 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The easiest way honestly is to take a screw driver and stick it on the injector and put it up to your ear with the car running, you should be able to hear it fire quickly and feel the vibrations.

You could also stick a test light on the harness of each one and see if it fires that way as well.
Old 12-21-11, 04:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never worked on the 1uz, but it sounds like your fuel pressure regulator could be bad. If the regulator fails internally, it can allow fuel to be sucked right into the vacuum lines. You can check the regulator by getting a hand vacuum pump, attaching it to the FPR vacuum nipple, and verifying that it holds a vacuum.

Or, the old school method is to put a piece of vacuum hose on the regulator and suck on it. If you get a mouthful of fuel, it's bad You may get lucky and see fuel drip from the vacuum line when you unplug it from the regulator...
Old 12-21-11, 06:52 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like a ecu problem or vacuum leak did you change your fuel injector grommets?spray carb cleaner around the engine and around each fuel injector while its idling
Old 12-21-11, 10:59 AM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

update:
so today while I was troubleshooting using the advice from my fellow members, I noticed the upper intake manifold was building up condensation. When I touched it, expecting it to be hot since the car was running, it was ICE COLD. It felt like the outside of an a/c line. Anyone ever experienced this?..
Old 12-21-11, 11:22 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's probably cold because it has fuel in it. Fuel vapor is known to cause intake icing. That's why most carbureted cars have heat risers from header to intake.
Old 12-21-11, 12:05 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply stockhatch. Another piece of info.. when I removed the upper and lower intake the first time, I found a nut wedged between one of the valves. Also, could the cold start injector be malfunctioning? Didn't really see too much info on it when I did the search for it.
Old 12-21-11, 12:42 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually that's what I was going to say. The Cold Start Injector doesn't really come on until like below 40 degrees farenheit. Don't quote me on that though. The line the back is for the CIS. But it's actual location is under the intake manifold.

You could always just squeeze the line and I'm sure that would stop it from coming on.

Have you tried putting it in diagnostic mode yet?
Old 12-21-11, 12:54 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

@ihiryu No, how do you put it in diagnostic mode? And more info.. the car seems to run fine at start up (cold), then after it idles down (warms up) it starts to run rich.
Old 12-21-11, 03:07 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

So I swapped out my THIRD ECU today and it runs @ 2500 rpm and won't idle down. Can I really have 3 bad ECUs?
Old 12-21-11, 09:25 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

In the diagnostic box, take a paper clip and jump pins for TE1 and E1. You might want to verify that though.

And yes it's possible. Toyota's made ecu's with cheap caps back then.
Old 12-22-11, 08:45 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

They were all built at the same time so it's no surprise that they all would have leaking caps at about the same stage. I'm having mine rebuilt instead of buying another used one.

It's just like the needles - used but working just means they'll die soon anyway.

Quick Reply: Help! Gas/Fuel in Throttle Body