Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5 Speed SC300 Won't Crank...Doesn't seem like clutch switch...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 05:26 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 Speed SC300 Won't Crank...Doesn't seem like clutch switch...HELP!

Over the weekend I did a few maintenance things on the SC and when I went to fire it back up it didn't crank...all the dash lights came on like normal and then when I turned the key to engage the starter nothing happened....just like if the clutch wasn't pushed in...the dash lights went off just like it would if the starter engaged, but no noises or attempt to start....battery voltage is fine.

One of the things I did if re-routed the driver's side wiring harness up and through the engine bay instead of the wheelwell because the harness was being rubbed from being low. I didn't cut any of the wires so I don't see how that would be causing this issue. I have had the clutch switch bypassed by just connecting the two wires to each other and that looks fine after I inspected it as well.

Does anyone know the process of testing the harness or what I can do to troubleshoot this issue? I was also looking for a wiring diagram to show my the electrical "path" from the key turning to the starter solenoid and what voltages I should be seeing.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.
Old 12-07-11, 05:32 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a starter jumper and hook it up to the starter. see if it'll kick over like that
Old 12-07-11, 05:39 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JustChill
Get a starter jumper and hook it up to the starter. see if it'll kick over like that
Sounds good...I'll try that. I can just jump it the old school way with a screwdriver right?
Old 12-07-11, 05:48 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on the floor I am willing to bet the plastic tab on the neutral safety switch broke off the clutch pedal. Go to toyota and pick up a new one. I should cost a $1. 25
Old 12-07-11, 05:56 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoomLight
Look on the floor I am willing to bet the plastic tab on the neutral safety switch broke off the clutch pedal. Go to toyota and pick up a new one. I should cost a $1. 25
I actually bypassed that awhile ago by just cutting the two wires from the actual pedal switch connector and then I soldered them together....it has been that way for a few months now with no problems so I don't think it is the clutch switch....but the weird thing is that the symptoms would point to a clutch switch issue.
Old 12-07-11, 06:01 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

I've been searching the forums as well and it seems like a few guys have had this issue after doing the harness relocation....but no one has actually updated their posts with what fixed it.

Other things to note:

-Steering memory works when key is turned
-All dash lights, gauges, and fuel pump come on when key is turned
-No clicking noise when key is fully turned to attempt cranking...no noise at all...dash lights go off like they would if car was normally cranking, but no cranking
-Stock clutch switch is bypassed and wires are soldered together
-All plugs are tightly plugged in to their connectors and clicked to confirm in enough.

Last edited by BoostAddct; 12-07-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 06:30 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

When you moved your harness did you unbolt any grounds?
Old 12-07-11, 06:59 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
When you moved your harness did you unbolt any grounds?
Just the one next to the washer fluid neck that held the plastic loom protector....but I put that one back after I removed the plastic trim.

I just went and checked all the fuses on the foot panel and under hood...those are fine. I smacked the starter a few times just in case that was it, but that didn't do anything either. I wiggled the harnesses and connectors also and that didn't do anything. Still puzzled...Tomorrow I'll be picking up a starter jumper tool so I can try that since I don't think a screwdriver will work to jump it.
Old 12-07-11, 07:58 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you never experienced any problems with your starter before the harness relocation then your problem is elsewhere.
Old 12-08-11, 07:55 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SEXC
If you never experienced any problems with your starter before the harness relocation then your problem is elsewhere.
I've never had any starter issues so I'm pretty sure it's in the harness...I'm going to try a few things today so hopefully they work.
Old 12-08-11, 10:25 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Just thought of something.....I also removed an old Viper alarm system that had remote start since I wasn't using it and not even sure if it was installed correctly....I made sure the ignition harness was put back to OEM, but what I just thought about was the immobilizer and if there was a key inside the Viper box that was deactivating the immobilizer and I never checked before I tossed the old box....For one does the '93 SC300 have an immobilizer? And if it does how do these cars react to not having the correct key? I know if GM vehicles they will still crank but just won't start.
Old 12-08-11, 11:44 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Try starting it from the starter relay. If it starts that way then u know u have an issue between the switch and the starter
Old 12-08-11, 11:49 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Update! I fixed it....ended up being the starter relay wire in the under hood fusebox...resoldered it and started right up....thank god! Now I can move on to the rest of the stuff. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 12-08-11, 06:02 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

< gave the winning hint! yay DoomLight
Old 12-08-11, 07:12 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed SC300 Won't Crank...Doesn't seem like clutch switch...HELP!