Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 02:14 PM
SlickChris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problems

starter wont shut off

it has a brand new starter and transmission 1992 sc400

i had to disconnect the battery to shut it off

anyone kno the problem??
is it a easy fix??
Old 10-20-11, 03:48 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need more information. what do you mean wont shut off as in once the car is running u can hear the teeth still engaging the flexplate/flywheel or the pinion is being pulled back into the case and spinning there. did u install the starter or someone else? can you remove it to bench test?
Old 10-20-11, 04:37 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this happen recently on a Toyota Supra 3.0 turbo....turned out to be the starter. There is a 12v wire going to the starter as well as a trigger wire. You said that the starter is farely new? Some of the chain part stores have their starters rebuilt in Mexico and the quality is no so good. I would suggest pulling it taking it back to where you got it from and have it tested. Most come with a 12month warrenty? GL
Old 10-20-11, 06:51 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

First, use process of elimination. I would check to see if current actively flows through the solenoid wire when key is not on the start position. The wire should only receive power when ever you turn your key switch to start.

If there are any power on the solenoid wire when key is not on start position, check your relay. If relay is good, check key switch.

If there are no power while key is not on start position, your starter may be the culprit.

It would be easier if you had an extra hand to help switch the key switch on and off.
Old 10-21-11, 02:37 PM
SlickChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nova
need more information. what do you mean wont shut off as in once the car is running u can hear the teeth still engaging the flexplate/flywheel or the pinion is being pulled back into the case and spinning there. did u install the starter or someone else? can you remove it to bench test?
when i take the key out of the ignition it sounds like the starter wants to start the engine by itself

my dad is my certified mechanic and he did everything himself we r gunna try an take care of everything tomorrow
Old 10-21-11, 02:41 PM
SlickChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flygfsh
I had this happen recently on a Toyota Supra 3.0 turbo....turned out to be the starter. There is a 12v wire going to the starter as well as a trigger wire. You said that the starter is farely new? Some of the chain part stores have their starters rebuilt in Mexico and the quality is no so good. I would suggest pulling it taking it back to where you got it from and have it tested. Most come with a 12month warrenty? GL
yeah my plan is to just take out the starter cus it is coverd by the warrenty i bought it brand new at advance auto

yeah before i do that im gunna check all the wires and relays

thnx
Old 10-21-11, 02:48 PM
SlickChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlickChris
starter wont shut off

it has a brand new starter and transmission 1992 sc400

i had to disconnect the battery to shut it off

anyone kno the problem??
is it a easy fix??
ill give evryone a update as soon as i figure where the problem is and whos method works