Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What clutch for NA-T W58?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 02:25 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I have been building 4g63's for around a decade before this, I would say I have a pretty good experience with crankwalk. And if you've owned a DSM You know, this is a huge understatement.

The fact of the matter is this:

-Yes push, or pull a super heavy pressure plate can cause stress on the thrust bearing.

-The 7-bolt(Most likely to CW)4g63's inherent thrust-bearing/ main cap design is what causes it to fail, but extremely stiff (2600-3200lbs) pressure plates can agitate this and speed up the process.

-The 4g63 has 5 Main caps.

-The JZ inline 6 has 7 Main Caps, it's going to take a lot more than 2600lbs which is considered fairly "Xtreme" from ACT to make them move.

-Most good DSM clutches use a 2600lbs PP, and a sprung organic disk. This combination has gone 9's/10's in Street/Race cars.

-The JZ crowd seems to do the opposite. Pucked disks with stockish pressure plates.

Originally Posted by TURBO819 View Post
In an attempt to stay in the limits of the W58. I chose to use the RPS Max Clutch with the OEM disc for the W58
Taken from MVP Motorsports.com

"This package includes the RPS Max Pressure Plate and the RPS Street Disc. It is a full face organic disc that is extremely slippable and the most friendly disc you could ever put in your Supra.

This clutch kit can hold up to 440 foot pounds of torque & is 60% stiffer than stock. This clutch is the most streetable clutch you can buy and will hold 400+ RWHP."
This is the best recommendation in here. Which is similar to my own.

Pucked disk/Soft Pressure Plate < Organic sprung Disk/Medium Pressure Plate.
Old 08-25-11, 02:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, medium PP is fine. HD PP with a street disk is what a few of us recommend. RPS blue or "Xtreme" COULD be bad, depending on some variables like driving style, shift RPM, oil viscosity, bearing clearance, oil pressure, etc. Most, if not all crankwalk victims were running either an Xtreme PP or RPS Blue.
Old 08-25-11, 03:16 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

And pucked disks?
Old 08-25-11, 03:33 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Most likely. Though that is not relevant to crankwalk any more than the number of main caps. It doesn't matter if there are 10 main caps when only one of those 10 has thrust surfaces.
Old 08-25-11, 04:06 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ACT HD Clutch Kit

Depending on your expected torque, go with solid disk vs. 6 puck. If you're pulling >400 lbft of torque, you have to go with 6 puck.
Old 08-26-11, 04:11 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Most likely. Though that is not relevant to crankwalk any more than the number of main caps. It doesn't matter if there are 10 main caps when only one of those 10 has thrust surfaces.
Sure it does. Think about it...

It's not that one thrust bearing that keeps the whole crank in place, is it?

The more bearing surface, and in this case the more crank length then a 4-cyl, the more clamping force you have on the crank. This alone makes it less likely to move, then troublesome 4g63's with less caps, and less crank surface area.

If it was going to move with all that surface area, you can bet your *** that a pucked clutch will shock the crank enough on engagement to where it will want to.

How did the DSMers overcome crankwalk?

Main bearing cap alignment dowels (To keep them from side-loading and moving in general), precise machining and assembly, and twin disk clutches with sprung organic disks.

Believe me, when you mess with a problematic engine like a 4g63 that constantly CW's, you (The community) learn real quick how to fix it.

JZ's simply do not have such a design flaw, and as such I am completely blaming the Pucked setups for any CW they got.

I think I'm pretty much finished in here. Can't stop a bandwagon!
Old 08-26-11, 08:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Wow, that's quite an interesting theory you have there...
Old 08-26-11, 10:08 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much am I looking to spend on one of these durable clutches?
Old 08-26-11, 10:27 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
How much am I looking to spend on one of these durable clutches?
Approximately 400-700 range would be a good estimate. Plus install cost. Then it's recommended to get new flywheel bolts, flywheel resurfaced, and new gear oil for the tranny and differential.
Old 08-26-11, 12:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuonggs300
Approximately 400-700 range would be a good estimate. Plus install cost. Then it's recommended to get new flywheel bolts, flywheel resurfaced, and new gear oil for the tranny and differential.
cool, so with install, bolts, tranny services, etc probably $1,200-1,500.

Then add the $1,500-$2,000 NA-T kit and I'll be around $3-3.5k
Old 08-26-11, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

oh I hope my crank survives long enough till I get rid of my 6 puck clutch.

I wonder how many main caps and thrust surfaces a 1FZ has.
The 2jz crank is like a micro-machine compared to that thing.
Old 08-27-11, 09:33 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

LOL! Man, as long as you have had that clutch, I think it would probably already have walked if its gonna. I think it needs to be the perfect storm to crankwalk. Like low oil pressure, incorrect bearing clearances, high RPM shifts, heavy PP etc. Obviously JZs aren't crankwalking left and right, so though there is a chance, it is not highly likely. I am just saying that if you can support the power you make with less clutch, why overkill it?

I don't believe for one second that puck disks cause crankwalk. 95% of manual JZs run puck clutches. The ones that walk are always running heavy PPs, and a certain percentage of those were still using a clutch switch.
Old 09-13-13, 09:59 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

bringing back an old thread!
So, I have my turbo kit for my 97 5spd, and need the best clutch and flywheel. I'm shooting for about 330 whp.

I'm thinking of getting this combo: SPEC stage 2+ clutch kit and SPEC aluminum flywheel. Good or no good, what do you guys say? I can get both brand new shipped to me for $660

Details: "The SPEC Stage 2 PLUS Clutch Kit features a multi-friction disc in a full faced configuration with carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other. Bridging the gap between stage 2 and stage 3, the 2+ offers drivability and engagement quality characteristic of the stage 2, but with a 15-20% higher torque capacity. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Great for street, drag, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift."
Old 09-14-13, 01:28 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody? I need to place the order by monday morning. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-13, 04:30 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I would not recommend a spec clutch at all. These days, a lot of people are running stock modified southbend clutches. You can use a street style disk and keep the pp light while still supporting lots of power. I would look into a southbend first and go from there.

Quick Reply: What clutch for NA-T W58?