Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Rebuilt Supra R154 or buy another R154?
Rebuild over $1200 in funds?...
84.62%
Soarer r154? Just have to find one...
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Rebuilt r154 or buy another r154?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 07:53 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rebuild bc if you buy another one you risk it also needing to be rebuilt.

just build it to the max! haha
Old 08-22-11, 01:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

whatever you do dont take it back to the last guy, i vote for a competent rebuild, even if you have to drive a few hours.
Old 08-22-11, 02:30 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
whatever you do dont take it back to the last guy, i vote for a competent rebuild, even if you have to drive a few hours.
I was planning to drive a couple hours to get it rebuilt, but on 4th the entire way is kind of risky. Would be rewarding when having it back up on par though.

Yeah, i learned my lesson: to not go to people who claim they know what they are doing, without any credentials.

Last edited by TRDmike; 08-22-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 02:33 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Don't say that, it's not true don't say never if you want it you will get or if you need it you will get it it may take some time
I used to sing to same song that "i will never spend the money on V160 that if i get to the point where i need one i will just stop making power why because i couldnt justify spending that kind of money" but that changed really quick
You just have to work you way up if you don't have that kind of money to dump in your car because not everyone does .
I wish i would went that route couple years ago, i was stuck on R154 thinking i will never need more power and that i will never be able to afford a 6speed , that not true.
I will not not shut anyone down for having an R154, it's a great tranny if it built the "right way" i made a little over 5XXrwhp on mine and loved it, till it started to blow the seals out.
+1 with the words of wisdom.
Old 08-22-11, 02:35 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iridebmx
rebuild bc if you buy another one you risk it also needing to be rebuilt.

just build it to the max! haha
So far that's the plan .
Old 08-22-11, 07:40 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike keep us posted. On what you decide to do.
Old 08-22-11, 08:19 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Mike keep us posted. On what you decide to do.
Will do, but might be a while. Hopefully, when this transmission problem gets fixed i can finally get back to the original plan into upgrading.
Old 08-22-11, 09:12 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you get a couple buddies pull the transmission out and drive it 2 1/2 miles away? I am sure it will cut some of the cost just on the labor of removal and install.
Old 08-22-11, 09:22 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TLDriver
why don't you get a couple buddies pull the transmission out and drive it 2 1/2 miles away? I am sure it will cut some of the cost just on the labor of removal and install.
Wish it was that easy, most of the people i know around here don't really want to get their hands dirty or don't even want to do anything with cars... plus I'm not really from here. Originally from socal and my buddies back home would definitely lend me a helping hand.

I'm probably going to remove it myself when i get the time, but won't be able to do anything till i move to my new location.

Last edited by TRDmike; 08-22-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 09:38 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my thoughts on this are just spend the money the first time to make you current r154 built perfectly, theres not point in doing it twice, when you could do it right the first time, also, if you just bought another r154 you could risk having to rebuild it anyways! but anyways, no matter witch way you choose to go, keep us posted and good luck man.
Old 08-23-11, 04:48 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i agree on the building part.. im on my second r154 .. the first went once i was over the 500rwhp mark and shifted to hard from 2nd to 3rd once too many times ....i now go easy on this one being at 600rwhp i know im on borrowed time..

the r154 is a sweet tranny and should always be rebuilt and fortified before installing because afterall they are 17yrs+ old .. i plan to eventually marlin crawler it to death and invest in a os giken twin disk and call it a day .. v160 and associated itens to make it work and a good street clutch to me is cost prohibitive
Old 08-23-11, 05:17 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
the r154 is a sweet tranny and should always be rebuilt and fortified before installing because afterall they are 17yrs+ old .. i plan to eventually marlin crawler it to death and invest in a os giken twin disk and call it a day .. v160 and associated itens to make it work and a good street clutch to me is cost prohibitive
This is the best advice in this whole thread!
Old 08-23-11, 12:18 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

u cant go from 3rd to 5th anymore?
Old 08-23-11, 12:20 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDmike
Wish it was that easy, most of the people i know around here don't really want to get their hands dirty or don't even want to do anything with cars... plus I'm not really from here. Originally from socal and my buddies back home would definitely lend me a helping hand.

I'm probably going to remove it myself when i get the time, but won't be able to do anything till i move to my new location.
hit up dom, chris or someone. if they dont want to im sure a couple other buddies of mine back home would help out esp if its on a weekend and they get to see their 1st turbo SC haha... let me know
Old 08-23-11, 04:49 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by levie
my thoughts on this are just spend the money the first time to make you current r154 built perfectly, theres not point in doing it twice, when you could do it right the first time, also, if you just bought another r154 you could risk having to rebuild it anyways! but anyways, no matter witch way you choose to go, keep us posted and good luck man.
Originally Posted by lexforlife
i agree on the building part.. im on my second r154 .. the first went once i was over the 500rwhp mark and shifted to hard from 2nd to 3rd once too many times ....i now go easy on this one being at 600rwhp i know im on borrowed time..

Yeah, i wished i didn't gone cheap the first time, but like i said earlier, learned my lesson and never again going cheap.
I hope the marlin crawler parts currently installed in my transmission are not trashed, guess i will find out when i get work done on the transmission again. Thinking about OS giken i had a OS Giken twin plate clutch installed a while back when i was driving the Turbo daily, that was pretty rough and people thought my transmission was broken because of the chattering noise the clutch makes. It was either the 659 or the 7xx, I still have it, but i guess I'll try and get it installed again when the transmission is removed.

Last edited by TRDmike; 08-23-11 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt r154 or buy another r154?