Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new alum. radiator and slim fans for sc400? anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 01:43 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new alum. radiator and slim fans for sc400? anyone done it?

has anyone got rid of that stupid hydraulic fan and radiator in their OB1 sc400?

I would like to get rid of the fan and throw on dual 10" slims and mishimoto radiator when ever i get out of basic training and put my lower mileage 1uz in my car.

how would I block off the powersteering fluid lines that go to the fan?
Old 07-18-11, 02:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need the parts from an ls400 which does not use the hydro fan.
Radiator from an sc300 or supra will work but lower hose on the radiatior is smaller.
Old 07-19-11, 05:18 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i couldnt just delete all the lines that go to the fan? or would i need a new cross member and power steering pump or something?
Old 08-08-11, 09:00 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search for Cribbj thread on Lextreme.
Old 08-08-11, 04:07 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why?

Why would you do this if you are not adding turbos to the front? The stock set up is exceptionally quiet, extremely efficient, extremely reliable, etc...the work, time and money you would invest for an inferior cooling system? Leave it as is, unless you need the space...plus, you will have to add an external cooler for the transmission as the stock radiator has a built in cooler, and the aftermarkets do not. I would not recommend blocking off the lines either unless you swap over to a manual.

You will more than likely regret doing this unless you really need the space...John Cribb will agree with me on this one...

Ryan
Old 08-08-11, 07:57 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I would share some personal experience that could save you some cash...The Mishimoto is the most expensive version of a diversely branded but identical generic MKIV radiator on the market (there are other generic radiator designs being multi-branded on the market of course). I have the same one from CXRacing on ebay and it is a great radiator, but I saved about $100 over the Mishimoto. The only difference is the Mishimoto brand plate riveted onto the radiator. A couple people have seemed to disagree with this but I have compared them side by side and there is no difference unless those people were referring to the other MKIV radiator that CXRacing also sells which looks the same as the Megan Racing radiator, ironically. I never compared those two though. So I can't say for sure whether they are identical as well, but I wouldn't doubt it. Anyways, check it out for yourself before overspending.

P.S. Sorry for the novel!
Old 08-09-11, 06:41 AM
1996sc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic since I need to change mine soon. Where and how much are people paying for stock replacement radiators. NAPA quoted me $300 and I found some Koyo-replacement on line for $200.

Yes I also have a 1995 sc400 with the coolant for the fans and plan to keep it stock.
Old 08-09-11, 09:46 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I bought a Koyo for a supra since they don't make one for the sc400, and used my hydro fan. It did work significantly better, my temps stay below halfway whereas before, it would be at half. I had to get a transmission cooler, so keep that in mind.

I do agree with SC400TT though, if you don't need the space (or if your cooling system isn't bad or broken) then I don't see why you should waste your money.

If you are adamant on replacing and removing, on my MKIII (with a turbo 1uz) I used the LS400 fan bracket, and that removed the hydro pump, but I had to pair it with a ford taurus fan, any other fan I tried would overheat.
Old 08-09-11, 01:16 PM
1996sc300
Rookie

Hey ihiryu.

Was it hard to add on the transmission cooler and where did you buy it?

Im looking to replace my radiator also and at the prices im getting quoted for OEM replacements its almost cheaper to go with a aftermarket aluminium radiator.

Car: 1995 Sc400 auto
Old 08-09-11, 01:54 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Auto part store, run to autozone and tell 'em what you want, but be prepared to give them a size, you may have to look at a few of 'em before youf ind the one you want
Old 08-09-11, 03:20 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Just thought I would share some personal experience that could save you some cash...The Mishimoto is the most expensive version of a diversely branded but identical generic MKIV radiator on the market (there are other generic radiator designs being multi-branded on the market of course). I have the same one from CXRacing on ebay and it is a great radiator, but I saved about $100 over the Mishimoto. The only difference is the Mishimoto brand plate riveted onto the radiator. A couple people have seemed to disagree with this but I have compared them side by side and there is no difference unless those people were referring to the other MKIV radiator that CXRacing also sells which looks the same as the Megan Racing radiator, ironically. I never compared those two though. So I can't say for sure whether they are identical as well, but I wouldn't doubt it. Anyways, check it out for yourself before overspending.

P.S. Sorry for the novel!
So because they LOOK the same they ARE the same? So i should buy a CXracing radiator over a koyo radiator because they LOOK the same??
Old 08-09-11, 07:23 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Again, I don't know why anybody would do this unless they had to...It is a lot of work and extra money...Consider that you have the cost for the radiator, the new lines from the transmission, the transmission cooler, the LS400 Pulley bracket that has to replace the hydraulic fan motor, plus all the labor. What a pain to do this if you do not need it...And even if the radiator cools a little more, on a stock SC400, it is not necessary...Keep the car at OEM specs unless you plan to add FI.

It is tough to better the factory cooling system...They spent millions of dollars refining and designing this engine and set up. There are many sound engineering reasons that Toyota/Lexus set it up the way they did.

Replace the radiator with a factory replacement, OEM or quality aftermarket, and call it a day.

I speak from experience guys...

Ryan
Old 08-09-11, 07:41 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Ryan on all points..Its very hard to beat OEM quality. Also aftermarket electric fans are a pain to deal with...
Old 08-09-11, 08:09 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinnyQH
So because they LOOK the same they ARE the same? So i should buy a CXracing radiator over a koyo radiator because they LOOK the same??
whoa whoa whoa never said a CXracing radiator was the same as a Koyo! Do you not read well? If so, I understand.
Old 08-09-11, 10:16 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
whoa whoa whoa never said a CXracing radiator was the same as a Koyo! Do you not read well? If so, I understand.

Of course you didn't. You said that the CXracing looks identical to the Mishimoto one becuase they LOOK the same, well if you go by that logic, then the CXracing one looks ALMOST identical to the koyo one.... so by what you are saying the CXracing and the koyo are almost the same.

Do you know for a fact that the CXracing one is the same as the mishimoto one.... or do you assume that they are the same becuase they LOOK the same?

Do you not read well? If so, I ALSO understand.

Quick Reply: new alum. radiator and slim fans for sc400? anyone done it?