Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 05:53 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since motor swaps here in CA are smog legal, I'm looking for an SC300 with a 5-speed so I can swap in a 2jz-GTE. Chris from lexussc400.com dropped in a JDM motor and his SC3 murdered an NSX while the NSX owner was shooting NOS. I'll probably end up having the company who did his car do mine, just takes time and money.
Old 09-26-02, 12:45 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will it still be enough to just have a new clutch and the stock 5spd?
That depends on your goals... Are you gonna dump the clutch and expect your neck to snap back? If so, you'll need a clutch that will eventually break the 5spd. If you're resigned to the fact that you can't defy the laws of physics, accept the weaker clutch and its consequences, you'll be fine with the RPS, and possibly save your tranny for awhile. Either way the situation is FAR from ideal. You can't get neck snapping launches from the 5spd on a turbo and expect it to last. PERIOD. the 6 spd is the only tranny that has the capacity to handle 400+ lbs/ft day in day out with an aggressive clutch-dropping user.
Old 09-26-02, 06:43 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Oh. Better add that to the budget then, yet further delaying the inevitable.
Old 09-26-02, 05:58 PM
ToyoBeastly
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC300T

That depends on your goals... Are you gonna dump the clutch and expect your neck to snap back? If so, you'll need a clutch that will eventually break the 5spd. If you're resigned to the fact that you can't defy the laws of physics, accept the weaker clutch and its consequences, you'll be fine with the RPS, and possibly save your tranny for awhile. Either way the situation is FAR from ideal. You can't get neck snapping launches from the 5spd on a turbo and expect it to last. PERIOD. the 6 spd is the only tranny that has the capacity to handle 400+ lbs/ft day in day out with an aggressive clutch-dropping user.
well put, thank you....
Old 09-27-02, 02:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know about the whole "weakest link" thing in the driveline... DSM boys practice that all the time...

My car from a stop wouldn't be such a big issue... I'm more interested in 30-70mph rolls

Again this is just to get me goin... my goal is MUCH higher than that... but this would be enough to get me going and keep me happy for a while (MUCH happier than i am now with a N/A )
Old 09-28-02, 03:04 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Default transmission w/ Supra TT

I've found the stock SC300 5-speed manual to hold up just fine with my 450+ HP Supra engine. My car (and trans) has some 160,000 miles, approximately 15k with the Supra engine, and the trans seems very happy.

Of course, if you're the type of driving who likes to rev it up to 5k then drop the clutch, all bets are off, but then that goes for all the rest of the drive-train components.
Old 11-12-02, 02:23 AM
philauldridge
Driver

You CAN do the engine swap yourself. I completed mine in my garage, with just my cute wife manning (or is it 'womanning') the engine hoist. Pulled out eng and trans together, although you can remove the trans first if you like. Took me some 5 hours from start to finish to yank it out, a little less to get it back in.

My SC300 has some 160,000 miles on it, and still looks, smells, and drives like new. I've now put some 15,000 miles with the Supra Twin Turbo engine, and I regularly pull 18PSI boosts 6-7 times during each morning commute. The stock 5-speed is holding up wonderfully.

Ya wanna pop the clutch and burn rubber at every start like some imbecile teenager? Of course you'll break something in short order. Just treat the car with a little respect and common sense, and you can get a long life from the car, along with lots of grins blowing off Corvettes!
Old 11-12-02, 02:38 AM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by philauldridge
I've now put some 15,000 miles with the Supra Twin Turbo engine, and I regularly pull 18PSI boosts 6-7 times during each morning commute. The stock 5-speed is holding up wonderfully.
on what island do you live??? morning traffic is hell on oahu unless you're on h-3..or is it dumb caetano rename all highways to indirectly immortalize himself john burns highway.

it would be nice to have boost.
Old 11-12-02, 03:56 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

the R154 tranny is becoming a semi-viable option...

there's a bit of custom work; a custom or 1jz bellhousing (which is tough to find) and the 1jz flywheel (or custom there too)

the R154 can handle neck snapping launches, and is FAR FAR cheaper to purchase
Old 11-12-02, 10:29 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Phil works on the west side of the big island near Kona... He lives the rough life. The main road there is like the Arizona desert, straightaways for miles and miles. Would be an awesome place for major boost.
Old 11-13-02, 02:04 PM
sniperd
Driver School Candidate

Does the 6 speed not swap into the SC300?(without cutting etc)

i was still planning on doing this swap, but if i have to use the ****y 5 speed screw that ill get a MKIII supra.
Old 11-20-02, 03:33 AM
RiceFx306
Driver School Candidate

Lemme get this straight the GETRAG tranny is the tranny in the TT Supra? I wanna do this, and if no customization is required I'll do it my slef and tow it to a shop to get all the wiring done (not electronically inclined). But if the Supras 6 speed drops right in, then I'd be down to do this swap. How much do just the parts for the swap cost and what parts do I need? Thx.
Old 11-20-02, 04:08 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

yeah the Getrag otherwise known as the V160 or SupraTT 6-speed is directly swappable into any 2jz-ge car... some models requiring hammering on the tranny tunnel to make it fit....
i DO know that 95+ SC3s do not need hammering

on the SC300 it requires the V160 slave cylinder and the V160 clutch/flywheel combo and a custom-length driveshaft... and this is assuming you're upgrading from a car thats already a 5-speed since it has the clutch pedal box and all that jazz already setup

prolly the same for the IS300/GS300 cars too
Old 11-30-02, 12:40 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

so someone post up these people that will do the swap for 2k if you purchase the parts. All I need is

1. Tranny ( I want the Getrag 6spd )
2. Engine and harness
3. ECU
4. LSD

Is their anything else ? thanks for the help
Old 12-05-02, 10:03 PM
SC2JZ-GTE
Rookie

if you are happy with 450 rwhp daily driver the stock 2jz-ge is fine with the 5 spd or auto. But if you want more, which everybody does later on, the stock 2jz-gte with the 6spd can handle 600-630 rwhp without rebuilding with stronger pistons and rods (with the correct tuning and fuel system). The gte is made for turbo, the ge is not. Better chance of breaking with the ge=more $$$ later on (when you don't expect it).

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap, question about price worthiness