Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about Apexi SAFC V1

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 07:50 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Apexi SAFC V1

I just picked up a SAFC V1 and wanted to know am I going to be able to tune fuel with this, how many of you are using the V1? I downloaded the manual and it didnt say anything about fuel adjustments. I want to make sure if I'll be OK with this or not before the install.

I see the V2 has fuel adjustments and settings.
Old 06-24-11, 08:55 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

v1 adjusts on injectors pulses by dialing in or dialing out.. The downside of the v1 is, it only has 12 points of corrections whereas the v2 has 24 points.. However, the v1 will do the job. Remember, it is for fine tuning but you can do some decent tweaking with it.

only adjust the High settings (your open loop setting) and add correction to your rpm range between 5500rpms and above. You want to run somewhat rich at those levels to prevent a catastrophe. The more the merrier IMO.

Do not adjust your low setting as that is your closed loop setting (idle) unless necessary.

Also, note your throttle settings are necessary
Old 06-24-11, 11:56 AM
Yahoo27
Driver

Is this for your 1.5jz??? the running rough problem??? If so what injectors are you using?? If its the stockies your going to have to add fuel with the controller at idle lo settings. You really should get a wideband before any fine tuning
Old 06-24-11, 12:52 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yahoo27
Is this for your 1.5jz??? the running rough problem??? If so what injectors are you using?? If its the stockies your going to have to add fuel with the controller at idle lo settings. You really should get a wideband before any fine tuning
yes it is. I just threw in some 440s and it didnt help so Im thinking it may need a simple tune to compensate for the added displacement.

What the function of a wideband? Is it like an O2 sensor where it just monitors the oxygen in the exhaust stream?
Old 06-24-11, 03:04 PM
Yahoo27
Driver

its like a o2 sensor, it tells you your air fuel ratio, it's a gauge that you use to fine tune your vehicle. Once it's installed you can adjust your fuel controller accordingly to numbers the Air fuel ratio says to get the best mixture.
Old 06-24-11, 03:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wideband is just a very accurate o2 sensor. all a regular o2 sensor tells you is rich or lean, which is really not usefull for tuning, a wideband tells you exactly how much.
440cc should have gotten it pretty close to where the ecu can figure out the rest. you may have a different issue.

An AFC should work for what you want to do. yo would want to add the same number all across the board on the low map to compensate for injector size, so # of tuning points is not going to matter much for you.
on the high map you would have the same numbers (non boost rpm's) and the same or higher in boost rpm's depending on your AFR (wideband comes in handy for this), but the higher positive your correction is in boost the sooner you will hit boost fuel cut, so watch out for that.

consider running a 2jzgte ecu (I feel like a broken record). you already have most of the stuff you need, you just need a stock sc300 harness and add the ignition wires from your 1j harness, wire up map sensor and IAT (same for 1jz/2jz) and you wont have to worry about displacement issues anymore if thats really the problem.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-24-11 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 06:18 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

its like a o2 sensor, it tells you your air fuel ratio, it's a gauge that you use to fine tune your vehicle. Once it's installed you can adjust your fuel controller accordingly to numbers the Air fuel ratio says to get the best mixture.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
wideband is just a very accurate o2 sensor. all a regular o2 sensor tells you is rich or lean, which is really not usefull for tuning, a wideband tells you exactly how much.
440cc should have gotten it pretty close to where the ecu can figure out the rest. you may have a different issue.

An AFC should work for what you want to do. yo would want to add the same number all across the board on the low map to compensate for injector size, so # of tuning points is not going to matter much for you.
on the high map you would have the same numbers (non boost rpm's) and the same or higher in boost rpm's depending on your AFR (wideband comes in handy for this), but the higher positive your correction is in boost the sooner you will hit boost fuel cut, so watch out for that.

consider running a 2jzgte ecu (I feel like a broken record). you already have most of the stuff you need, you just need a stock sc300 harness and add the ignition wires from your 1j harness, wire up map sensor and IAT (same for 1jz/2jz) and you wont have to worry about displacement issues anymore if thats really the problem.
I work at a Smog station(Emission Inspection) so I have a access to a 5 Gas Analyzer and can get a an idea what the AFR is. Last time I checked it was about 11.5:1, O2 levels were around 3% so Im definelty running LEAN.

The car hits Fuel cut at WOT. I was gonna get a FCD but IIRC I read running a SAFC is a better option cause I can tune it.

Im gonna wait on the wideband until I get the car running normal.

As for running a 2JZGTE ECU, maybe later down the line. This thing is giving my nothing but headaches and Id like to sort things out before I do any other mods.
Old 06-24-11, 07:45 PM
Yahoo27
Driver

11.5:1 Air fuel ratio?? or is that something else? At idle?
Old 06-24-11, 07:58 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

11.5:1 Air fuel ratio?? or is that something else? At idle?
11.5% CO2, which is Carbon Dioxide. 14.7% cO2 is Stioch so we want to get close to that as possible. My CO(carbon monoxide-fuel) levels are 00.0 and the O2 levels were around 3% which is high.

I tested this on a dynanometer to get these readings which puts a load on the vehicle.

Last edited by 6SOARER; 06-25-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-26-11, 04:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you need a wideband in there pre cat. Unless you have no cat, your measurements at the tail pipe are going to be off.
Old 06-26-11, 06:23 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Ali is correct.