Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ fuel pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 07:48 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1JZ fuel pressure test

I will be performing a fuel pressure test soon because I feel Im lacking fuel when I accelerate full throttle. The car runs fine when its cold but as soon as it warms up, it starts to sputter when I gas it.

My question is, would it be OK to hook up the fuel pressure tester on the fuel regulator side(front of the fuel rail where the regulator is)? Would it be safe to perform it on that side?

The fitting for the tester would not fit on the fuel banjo bolt behind the fuel rail, it hits the firewall.
Old 06-16-11, 09:32 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

You have to do it before the regulator. That's the pressure you want to monitor. After the regulator is unused fuel being returned to the tank, there's no pressure on that side

As long as you put the gauge somewhere between the fuel pump and before the regulator you'll be fine

Last edited by 93MSB; 06-16-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-16-11, 09:38 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 93MSB
You have to do it before the regulator. That's the pressure you want to monitor. If you do it after the regulator you won't see anything that will help you

We were looking at it today and my nephew suggested that maybe we should test it at the regulator.

I dont see any way to test it unless I get another kit with a 90 degree bend fitting so it wont hit the firewall.

Have u ever performed a fuel pressure test on your 1JZ before?
Old 06-16-11, 09:42 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you pulled a plug to see what is going on in the cyl?
Above is right. You need to check pressure at the rail inlet side.
If you "google" how to do a fuel pressure test you will find info on how to test your sys.
Old 06-16-11, 09:44 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Follow that fuel line at the back of the fuel rail down to the bottom of the driver side firewall. There is a connection down there where the soft line turns into hard line coming from the fuel tank. Try to put your adapter in that fitting
Old 06-16-11, 09:44 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Hyd repair shop near by you can get a 0-60psi gauge and with a "t" fitting as well as some barbed fittings you can make your own fp tester. If you have no luck figuring it out pm me your number and I will help you.
Old 06-16-11, 10:06 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by frankdms
If you have a Hyd repair shop near by you can get a 0-60psi gauge and with a "t" fitting as well as some barbed fittings you can make your own fp tester. If you have no luck figuring it out pm me your number and I will help you.
I borrowed a Master Fuel Pressure Kit from my nephew. It has almost every fitting possible for most makes and model vehicles.

Its just that the area where I have to apply the tester is IMPOSSIBLE, theres no space there. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show you all what Im talking bout.

Someone mentioned that I should "T" into the line(after fuel dampner to fuel rail) but its made out of steel.

I know fuel pressure from the tank to dampner is good because when I had the GE engine in I had no issues with FP, it ran fine. After I dropped the 1JZ in, this stuttering issue occured. Im questioning FP from the Dampner to the fuel rail.

Its either a FP problem or a ECU problem. I had the ECU recapped but it did not help, maybe its just a BAD ECU. Im just trying to eliminate some things out, starting with the least expensive.
Old 06-19-11, 06:15 AM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say this to everybody with a shudder but try lookin at your coil packs to make sure they aren't cracked. Also before you did the swap did you do a tune up to it?
Old 06-19-11, 01:19 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

If there is any section of rubber hose on the rail you can pull it off and replace it with a longer one. With that longer hose you can fit a "T" in there just for testing reasons.
Old 06-24-11, 08:45 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by addisonblc
I say this to everybody with a shudder but try lookin at your coil packs to make sure they aren't cracked. Also before you did the swap did you do a tune up to it?
Pull the rubber boots off the coils too as they crack there towards the tip real bad.

4 our of 6 of mine are cracked right now and the car is running like total crap....so I bought Superspark coils in hopes that will bring it back to life!