Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fastest 1JZ stock turbo time and boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 07:47 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest 1JZ stock turbo time and boost pressure

I saw a recent thread with a video of a JZ70 running 12 sec and a few persons seemed surprise, however the fastest stock powered turbo cars are running in the 11 sec range (these are JZZ30 which are heavier). Max boost is 23psi with tons of porting, it has been proven that the turbos will hold out for years with the proper mods at 17psi. The thinking has changed and some now think it is a restrictive intake and exhaust system that kills the turbo beside the fact that they are close to 20yrs piece of hardware.
Oh and 17psi with proper mods,fuel (ron98) and tuning should put an sc300 in the 11sec and that would be a daily driver.
Old 03-18-11, 07:53 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bite I would like to see these stock twin 1jz SC300s that are hitting 11s please.
Old 03-18-11, 08:03 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

Please permit me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_7aRUGshw

List of most of the mods are given in youtube and for the full build you would have to take a look at the write at soarercentral. They have a bit of knowledge of the 1jz with stock turbos.

Last edited by sikes; 03-18-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-18-11, 08:32 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX2gcq4KZA
Old 03-18-11, 08:34 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-34TdaH94LU&NR=1

This is better
Old 03-18-11, 08:47 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Are these all the same car?
Old 03-18-11, 09:39 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

how do we know this is a stock car?Seems a little hard to believe.

Stock with what mods?
Old 03-18-11, 09:57 AM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

uh, it's not stock if you port out the turbo.......
Old 03-18-11, 10:25 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its possible, but not easy to go 11s. weight reduction every bolt on mod possible, race gas, new turbos and a very good tune. Good driver a must and sticky tires and lsd. I'm sure that car is pushing 400+rwhp. Bolt on Ls1s have been hight 10s but, once again its ALOT of work to get every single hp and get the weight down.
Old 03-18-11, 10:38 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDSC
its possible, but not easy to go 11s. weight reduction every bolt on mod possible, race gas, new turbos and a very good tune. Good driver a must and sticky tires and lsd. I'm sure that car is pushing 400+rwhp. Bolt on Ls1s have been hight 10s but, once again its ALOT of work to get every single hp and get the weight down.
To me once all this is done the car is no longer stock.

I was under the impression stock was "stock"---like str8 from the factory.
Old 03-18-11, 10:41 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

even in the first post you say 17psi with the right mods.

Once a car is modded it is no longer stock.

Not trying to be a put down or anything but I just dont see where this is going.
Old 03-18-11, 10:43 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Exactly. This car is the exception, not the rule. Supporting mods and 17psi on stock twins is not going to get you 11s on 99% of cars. So many things have to be perfect. Is it possible? Yeah, obviously it is as one or two people have managed to do it. Is it easy? No, obviously not, since only one or two people have managed to do it.

At least one MKIV guy has gone 10s on stock twins. That does not mean there is an easy path to 10s on stock twins though. It means one or two individuals are talented and/or lucky enough to pull it off.
Old 03-18-11, 12:12 PM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

1. Stock turbo or should I correct myself and say it that way, stock turbo meaning unopened turbos with the ceramic wheel. I would not consider the porting of the the turbo intake as making it a none stock turbo. Most of the porting was done to the intake and exhaust manifold.
2. you watching two different cars
3. This has been going on like three years now
4. It is not hard to prove since most of the parts required is the same as a single. The only part you won't reuse on a single is the y pipe between the turbos.
5. The current tune on the now fastest stock turbo car is not perfect with AFR in the 11s and push 23psi.

The only reason I have not done it to my JDM soarer is I do not have a Y pipe on but the addition of a blitz nur spec R way back mean that this car turbos have survive many year here and still spool to 14psi without a boost controller.
I think since the y pipe cost like 100+us plus installation it should be quite easy to prove me wrong I have not done this upgrade since it would cost me roughly 10x as much, and have coming of some gearbox drama. you won't get those times with a 3.77 final drive ratio, all these cars are running the 4.08 rear end.
Old 03-18-11, 12:18 PM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

I should also add that these guys will keep reminding everyone of one thing, ensure your car is in shape before proceeding,I have read of two other guys who have tried it, one sold the car, the other swapped in a 2jz after the engine sent something (possibly a valve) through the turbos and killed itself.
Old 03-18-11, 04:02 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Let us know when you hit the number then. I am not taking anything from the jz engine or jzz30 platform. It is a great engine, a great car, and people have done some impressive stuff with them. It is an interesting experiment to see how fast stock stuff can take you, but not the best idea if your car is truly a DD. The longevity of the stock turbos becomes questionable at 17+ psi. By all means, do a bare-bones package and shoot for 11s, but do it with a decent turbo.

Quick Reply: Fastest 1JZ stock turbo time and boost pressure