Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aluminum or copper crush washer ps

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 04:41 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum or copper crush washer ps

Just completed several maintenance items on my sc400. On the new steering rack there is a small leak at the connections, can't tell if it is the pressure connection or return because of their proximity. The pressure line is now a Driftmotion unit. It is different than the stock banjo design. It has a fitting that goes into the rack and then it screws onto that fitting. I reused the stock copper washers as the ones that came with the Driftmotion line were too large. Well, given there is a leak I suspect the washers. I just ordered some aluminum oil drain plug washers through Napa that have a 16.5mm I.D. (what i measured the old bango I.D. with calipers). The original were copper, but a look at few forums said now auto manufacturers are using aluminum and it deforms better to other materials. Also, the copper washers Napa had were slightly larger 17mm I.D. Aluminum a safe way to go?
Old 03-09-11, 04:53 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, the last time I did this (on a sc300), the two banjo bolts were different sizes and took different sized washers accordingly. I too looked for a properly sized aluminum ones (thinking they'd be inexpensive) and only came up with something that was 'close', but not rperfect like the factory washers. I decided that since the washer only has a very small seat area that crushes, I didn't want to skimp on it and risk having to re-do it again do to a less than perfect fit. Therefore, I bit the bullet and bought the ridiculously overpriced ones from the dealer and called it a day.

Old 03-09-11, 05:06 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Are the old copper washer the right size? If so, try to anneal them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_%28metallurgy%29

That process is used on copper head gaskets so they can be reused.
Old 03-09-11, 06:17 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt matter if the crush washers are copper or aluminum. I am using the aluminum ones, there oversized and dont leak. I bought a P/S hose like the one DM sells(I actually bought it from the guys who makes them for DM) but shorter.

I spoke to Cliff(who makes these hoses) and he told me as long as I tighten the fitting, make sure that the washer is centered and dont overtorque the fitting or else you'll mess up the washer.

Havent had it leaking yet.
Old 03-09-11, 06:58 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
It doesnt matter if the crush washers are copper or aluminum. I am using the aluminum ones, there oversized and dont leak. I bought a P/S hose like the one DM sells(I actually bought it from the guys who makes them for DM) but shorter.

I spoke to Cliff(who makes these hoses) and he told me as long as I tighten the fitting, make sure that the washer is centered and dont overtorque the fitting or else you'll mess up the washer.

Havent had it leaking yet.
How much torque did you give it? I may have over torqued. There is no way I will be getting a torque wrench in that tight area.
Old 03-09-11, 07:01 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
IIRC, the last time I did this (on a sc300), the two banjo bolts were different sizes and took different sized washers accordingly. I too looked for a properly sized aluminum ones (thinking they'd be inexpensive) and only came up with something that was 'close', but not rperfect like the factory washers. I decided that since the washer only has a very small seat area that crushes, I didn't want to skimp on it and risk having to re-do it again do to a less than perfect fit. Therefore, I bit the bullet and bought the ridiculously overpriced ones from the dealer and called it a day.

Well, I guess I'll measure the two when i pull them again and see if they are different on sc400. I couldn't even find the washer on the any dealership sights and i don't live near a dealership. I did find a power steering hose seal kit which may have been it, but they wanted $27 plus shipping. I did find a third party sight a few weeks ago that has every single lexus part itemized, but could not find the sight again.
Old 03-10-11, 09:26 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WDoherty
Well, I guess I'll measure the two when i pull them again and see if they are different on sc400. I couldn't even find the washer on the any dealership sights and i don't live near a dealership. I did find a power steering hose seal kit which may have been it, but they wanted $27 plus shipping. I did find a third party sight a few weeks ago that has every single lexus part itemized, but could not find the sight again.
I usually use this site for part lookups: (you'll notice they don't give full part numbers though)

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=31

and then I compare them to this site: (which has exact same list with full part numbers, but minus the pics)

http://www.*******.com/parts/p_U_199...PZKA_4503.html

Then, armed with exact part numbers and a few prices for reference, I just shop the usual targets for online deeply discounted Lexus/Toy parts.

G/L
Old 03-10-11, 09:50 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

You found it. That is the site I was talking about (lexuspartsnow), but didn't previously have luck relocating it. Note to other members, this site is excellent for finding parts, part numbers! Thank you.

Originally Posted by good2go
I usually use this site for part lookups: (you'll
notice they don't give full part numbers though)

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=31

and then I compare them to this site: (which has exact same list with full part numbers, but minus the pics)

http://www.*******.com/parts/p_U_199...PZKA_4503.html

Then, armed with exact part numbers and a few prices for reference, I just shop the usual targets for online deeply discounted Lexus/Toy parts.

G/L
Old 03-10-11, 10:18 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WDoherty

You found it. That is the site I was talking about ...