Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE wont start after engine build. No Spark, help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 09:05 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTE wont start after engine build. No Spark, help please

any ideas why im not getting any spark at the plugs? i have fuel at the rail and the engine turns over but im not getting any spark. Nothing's been changed to the harness, the engine was taken out for a rebuild and placed back in but no joy. any idea?
Old 01-03-11, 02:11 PM
verticalsn
Rookie

Originally Posted by trufanatic
any ideas why im not getting any spark at the plugs? i have fuel at the rail and the engine turns over but im not getting any spark. Nothing's been changed to the harness, the engine was taken out for a rebuild and placed back in but no joy. any idea?
i'm not a good english speaker but i will try to help you the best i can. do you have power at your coil ? on each coil you have 1 wire with the same color for the 6 coils it's supose to be the power (put your key on and look if you have power with a test light) (i don't see the wiring diagram but usually it's the power) and the other wire is the signal when you start the engine with a DEL test light your supose to see the del flashing... and if you don't have power look at the fuse box if you have a blow fuse

try this and let me know if you have other problem
Old 01-03-11, 05:00 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

have you pulled a plug and coil, grounded it to the engine, and cranked the car to visually check there is no spark?

make sure it cranks for a good 5 seconds, when i was visually testing spark on my 1jz i didnt get any spark for the first 2-3 seconds of cranking

double check your timing
test your crank and cam sensors
if you know someone else with a GTE, swap out the ignitor and see if that gets it going
Check your voltage at the coils like verticalsn said, IIRC you should be getting 12v on BOTH sides of the plug with the key ON

Last edited by 93MSB; 01-03-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 06:46 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

i did pull the back two coils and pulled a plug out. i check both coils and i wasnt getting any spark for 2-3 cranks. the motor hasnt been out a month so i couldnt imagine that much going wrong in such a short period of time. ONLY change, is that i painted the intake manifold, will the paint cause a problem with the two grounds that go on the back of the intake manifold, thats the only thing i could think of at the moment. In the morning i'll try scratching off the paint on those two spots and checking all fuses but if it was the engine fuse the motor shouldnt even crank.

i was **** about timing and looked at it for two days to make sure cams and crank were lined up accurately.

i'll take a volt meter to all the coils tomorrow and see if im getting power at the coils. if not im assuming my igniter went bad? i dont see what else it could be after that
Old 01-03-11, 07:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

check the ignitor and all the connections to the ecu.
Old 01-03-11, 07:22 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

yes absolutely the paint could be causing your issue. the main grounds for the ecu are on the intake manifold. the coils get 12v to both pins at key on, the ecu grounds the circuit to fire the coil. so if you don't have a good grounding connection on the intake manifold then your ecu can't ground what it needs to.

also check to make sure you got all the grounding wires on the intake manifold. you should have atleast two ring terminals with grounding wires attached
Old 01-03-11, 07:30 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
check the ignitor and all the connections to the ecu.
Think that paint on the manifold could be an issue?
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can always add extra ground wires to the 2 ground pins on the ecu as a quick test.
Or you can just scratch off the paint under the bolt and put it back on.
Old 01-04-11, 10:10 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trufanatic
Think that paint on the manifold could be an issue?

Yes! For sure verify good grounds before anything else.
Old 01-04-11, 11:55 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes that could be your issue the 2jz are really funny about grounds, I had a ground issue where my car wouldn't start after 2 weeks of diagnostic.

There is (2) ground that goes to the manifold make sure the spot is clean no paint no rust.
There is (1) that goes to the firewall , it comes from the cylinder head.
You have another one that goes to the block around the driver side motor mount.
Then the one that goes to the 14mm bolt that bolts the engine to the Bellhousing, it come from the frame rightright around the fuel line on the driver side frame rail.

Make sure the ignitor is grounded too .
Old 01-04-11, 01:57 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw the title of this post, I was thinking it's a grounding issue.
Old 01-04-11, 03:24 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Yes that could be your issue the 2jz are really funny about grounds, I had a ground issue where my car wouldn't start after 2 weeks of diagnostic.

There is (2) ground that goes to the manifold make sure the spot is clean no paint no rust.
There is (1) that goes to the firewall , it comes from the cylinder head.
You have another one that goes to the block around the driver side motor mount.
Then the one that goes to the 14mm bolt that bolts the engine to the Bellhousing, it come from the frame rightright around the fuel line on the driver side frame rail.

Make sure the ignitor is grounded too .
I took a continuity tester to all the ground point, the paint on the manifold wasnt an issue, it seems while i was painting it i was being careful. So all grounds check out including the two ground wires 79/80 i believe on the ecu and i had strong ground there also.

I am missing one ground wire and i think its the one that goes to the back of the bell housing, it might have broken off but i dont remember seeing it, everything else checks out.

I did find one thing odd, i checked continuity on the CPS and i was getting feedback on BOTH wires. isnt it suppose to be just one? Does this mean the crank position sensor is bad? it bolts to one spot so i assume it cant be adjusted?

thanks again
Old 01-04-11, 04:30 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok so you didn't mess with any wiring right
jump e1 and t1 to get a cell and go from there.
cam sensor 1 signal is 26b,and ground is 6b cam sensor 2 signal is 25b and ground is 5b
crank signal is 27b and ground is 7b.
make sure the sensor is plugged in.
is the ignitor itself bolted down?
Old 01-04-11, 05:42 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
ok so you didn't mess with any wiring right
jump e1 and t1 to get a cell and go from there.
cam sensor 1 signal is 26b,and ground is 6b cam sensor 2 signal is 25b and ground is 5b
crank signal is 27b and ground is 7b.
make sure the sensor is plugged in.
is the ignitor itself bolted down?
The ignitor is bolted to the body where the cruise control use to be and no, nothing was touched with the wiring. it taken off, put in a box and placed back on the motor after rebuild.
I'll see if i can pull a cel and get back.

again when i did a continuity test on the wires coming from the crank position sensor i got solid continutiy on both wires. shouldnt it be just one wire showing a ground and the signal wire should be dead with the ignition off?
Old 01-04-11, 05:59 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

getting code 12. Crank or cam position sensors

aside from being just screwed into the oil pump housing is there any special means of reinstallation once timing is set. I did made sure the marker on the crank gear lined up to the mark on the oil pump and that both cam were lined up with the notches so im pretty sure timing is good but that still wouldnt stop me from getting spark. from there i just bolted the crank sensor to the oil pump

Quick Reply: GTE wont start after engine build. No Spark, help please