Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it realistic to NA-T with 178,XXX miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 01:47 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it realistic to NA-T with 178,XXX miles

I have a 1993 SC300 5speed, it loses about 2 quarts of oild a year. Typically I would assume no but I know there is a guy on here with a 300,000 NA-T and it seems to be holding up. I was wondering mostly if I would need to rebuild the engine before I turboed or if you think it would be fine the way it is
Old 01-01-11, 03:34 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it really just depends on the condition of the motor.
my first question is..how do you know its losing 2qts a YEAR?..please tell me you change ur oil more often then that?

secondly..id recommend doing a compression and leak down test..if the motor checks out then no reason it shouldnt hold up..been numerous people pushing 2jzge's with over 150K on them turbo'd

just do regular maintenance and test out your engine.

EDIT: also realize that there IS possibility of blowing the motor..dont be unrealistic about it or upset if it does happen
Old 01-01-11, 06:29 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

Yeah I get it changed every 3K, the guy I have do it for me(free from a friend that works at an oil place) always tells me how low I am. I haven't been low at all this year until last week. If I go NA-T I plan on replacing everything I can on the engine short of a full rebuild to try to extend the life and will probably start doing oil changes every 1,500 miles just to be safe. What would you say the most boost I could safely run would be? also which NA-T kit is better the Suprastore or Driftmotion?
Old 01-01-11, 07:27 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

well if you tear into the motor as far as taking the head off and change gaskets and seals then id recommend using a TT head gasket thus lowering your compression allowing for more boost on 93 oct. ...safely would be about 17psi..
if you leave it stock comp 9-10psi would be safe..of course more can come from this with different things like adding a meth kit or switching to e85 etc etc but this is pretty much the basis for 93 oct and being safe

as far as kits go..most every kit that ive read about has good reviews..
the one on clubna-t from xs power has good and bad ..it is chinese no name brand parts for the most part so they are more prone to seeing a defective part like a wastegate not operating correctly or bov
however a lot of people swear by these kits and think they are definitely worth it.

only thing i can say is research as much as possible..me personally i prefer to piece stuff together..the cheap ebay manifold has been proven time and time again to be a good piece for the price..so ill cheap where i can and then spend a little more where i can as well

theres tons of info on clubna-t and supraforums so id recommend checking both out..supraforums are being updated right now but clubna-t has enough info to get you started.
Old 01-01-11, 09:10 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll be fine lol
Old 01-01-11, 10:00 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

lol coming from you that's immensely reassuring. I have to ask if you used a kit or pieced together off Ebay and classifieds
Old 01-01-11, 11:06 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

i'm poor so i pretty much piece my own kit throughout the years w/ mainly ebay parts except for certain stuff, my turbo, intercooler, injectors and map ecu 2.
Old 01-02-11, 10:21 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not find a cheap GE bottom end, keep it stored somewhere and if something lets go you've got a backup .
Old 01-02-11, 11:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It would be unrealistic not to, at least for that reason. Im at 140k but i wouldnt worryif u do a refresh, like timing belt, gaskets, pumps etc. My motor used to leak before i did the headgasket job and i was boosting 10psi on stock compression. just make sure u keep ur oil topped off
Old 01-02-11, 01:53 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

thank you again guys, you've really sold me on going NA-T. I'm really excited for the next few weeks to hurry up and get here so I order a kit and get it installed
Old 01-03-11, 07:58 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are worried about the condition of the GE why not tear it down replace the rings, assuming that's the cause of your oil burn. Replace the bearings for peace of mind and boost it.
Old 01-03-11, 09:01 AM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by Dai Kaiju
Yeah I get it changed every 3K, the guy I have do it for me(free from a friend that works at an oil place) always tells me how low I am. I haven't been low at all this year until last week. If I go NA-T I plan on replacing everything I can on the engine short of a full rebuild to try to extend the life and will probably start doing oil changes every 1,500 miles just to be safe. What would you say the most boost I could safely run would be? also which NA-T kit is better the Suprastore or Driftmotion?
id go with either an xspower or driftmotion if you're looking for a kit. I dont think the driftmotion is necessarily a full kit tho. Your other option would be to piece together a kit off ebay, probably the same type of stuff you'll find in either of those other kits and you might save yourself a little money if you get good deals.
Old 01-03-11, 09:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its probably more the valve seals leaking oil, its difficult to cause extreme wear in the block on a n/a 2jz (not impossible, it has been done before but more related to negligence). IMO the toyota parts in the bottom end are the best for moderate amounts of boost and you are better off leaving it oem unless you know a problem exists. If your oil light does not come on after 3000 miles on synthetic or a blend then there is no reason to get alarmed and start throwing expensive parts into the head or bottom end. Just do all the seals and gaskets, and if you can do the valve seals with the headgasket thats about all you really need on a healthy engine that consumes/leaks a bit of oil.
Old 01-03-11, 01:18 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just boost it and worst case just get another low mile bottom end, I really don't like tearing the block apart unless i have to.

It will be cheaper replacing the block from a lower mile one than rebuilding it or replacing the rings and bearing.
Old 01-04-11, 01:56 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with turbo choice, even just redirecting me to a place that explains what the 60-1 .58 AR and the other choices and TO4Z, What does all of that mean? what do I want starting out? Should I only ever buy one turbo and just build on to that or are they something I have to replace as my goals and supporting mods grow?

Quick Reply: Is it realistic to NA-T with 178,XXX miles