Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GE cam shaft work in 1JZ-GTE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 07:10 AM
curtains
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ-GE cam shaft work in 1JZ-GTE?

So I have a opportunity to pick up a 1JZ-GTE head for a pretty low price to make a 1.5J as I have a 2jz-gte, but for some reason the guy wants to keep the cam shafts cause he thinks there worth as much as head itself (unless they are, its the stock cam shafts).

Anyways just wondering can I use my current 2JZ-GE cam shaft in the 1JZ-GTE head?
Old 12-17-10, 07:27 AM
Cleet
Rookie

With slight machining they should just like the 2JZ-GTE cams.
Old 12-18-10, 12:54 PM
IS300SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cleet
With slight machining they should just like the 2JZ-GTE cams.
huh interesting this thread was just made yesterday. I am also wondering if 2jz-ge cams will work in a 1jzgte head. just dropped off the head at the machine shop an hour ago. i have a GE head sitting around and was wanting to use the cams from it if i could because i bet they are bigger.

any more input on this?

the 2jz-ge cams are some what larger than 1jz cams aren't they?
meaning is it worth doing?
Old 12-18-10, 08:30 PM
Cleet
Rookie

I have 2jz-gte cams in my 1j head. There's a good thread about all this on the supramania forums. There is a slight gain to be had but only worth it cause it's cheap to do.
Old 12-20-10, 11:42 AM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2jz-gte cams in my 1j head. There's a good thread about all this on the supramania forums. There is a slight gain to be had but only worth it cause it's cheap to do.
So you have stock 2JZ gte cams in your 1JZ? What kinda set up do you have and how much of a difference did it make?
Old 12-20-10, 01:15 PM
staticpage
Driver School Candidate

wait 2jzgte cams? Don't they have a distributor gear on the 2JZGE cams? if so not going to even remotely work or be machinable.
Old 12-20-10, 03:10 PM
IS300SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by staticpage
wait 2jzgte cams? Don't they have a distributor gear on the 2JZGE cams? if so not going to even remotely work or be machinable.
are you positive?
Old 12-20-10, 06:41 PM
Cleet
Rookie

I was just thinking about the cams gear thing earlier today... I haven't looked at GE cams to see but yes stock GTE cams work with slight machining. USDM are better than JDM too. Can pick up stock USDM GTE cams over at SF for around $100.

Can't tell you the difference cause I'm doing this and going single before swapping. Read in a thread that a girl picked up 16 whp on this mod alone.
Old 12-20-10, 07:04 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by curtains
So I have a opportunity to pick up a 1JZ-GTE head for a pretty low price to make a 1.5J as I have a 2jz-gte,
you want to downgrade your head? or was that a typo?
Old 12-21-10, 03:28 PM
IS300SS
Rookie

well my buddy with an vvti aristo swap in his is300 say that his cams have the distributor gear on it. toyota must not have bothered to design a new cam??
weird right. he just had his motor all apart a month ago so its for sure.

as far as my idea goes my other buddy has 2jzge cams laying around. and my 1jzgte head is at the machine shop right now. so i can get the cams for free and if it works then i want to do it for sure. i guess i'l be able to tell if they fit by seeing if they sit in there. that and th machine shop will be able to tell me. so ill let everyone know

as far as what dude is doing i have no idea. did you ruin your GE head?? i dont even know if the water passages are going to line up if u try putting a 1j head on a 2j block.
Old 12-22-10, 05:48 PM
IS300SS
Rookie

i ment 2jzGE block... i just remember reading that someone was trying to put a GE head on a 1j block and they had to cap a coolant jack to do it... if it was gonna get done. dont think he ever did it honestly.
Old 12-28-10, 05:44 PM
SCott300
Driver

Can I use some HKS 264's for a 2JZ GTE in my VVTI GE head? I have a 2000 SC3, if that makes any difference.
Old 01-03-11, 05:49 PM
IS300SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCott300
Can I use some HKS 264's for a 2JZ GTE in my VVTI GE head? I have a 2000 SC3, if that makes any difference.
no your going to need vvti cams. doesnt matter what car u have doesnt matter what bottom end you have... ur talking about the head... think about it!!

lol. but no ur going to need vvti cams. sucks huh. dont even bother. just boost the **** out of it. get some water meth

and machine shop says that the stock 2jz-GE cams do in fact have more lift than the 1jz-gte stock cams by significant amount. they are saying that the distributor gear on the GE cams is going to have to be machined off. i talked to the main guy today and he says thats what one of his workers was saying. he said he is going to check for himself tomarrow and call me back.

i will let u guys know

Last edited by IS300SS; 01-03-11 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 06:44 PM
Cleet
Rookie

I'll be interested to see what he charges you. I only have $150 in the cost of cams and machining for my GTE cams.
Old 01-10-11, 02:39 AM
IS300SS
Rookie

I'll be interested to see what he charges you. I only have $150 in the cost of cams and machining for my GTE cams.
for sure same here 150. but i got the cams for free lol
machine shop is charging 150 to machine the gear off the cam and to machine the head so they fit right.

they are USDM 2jzge cams which have the same specs as the USDM 2jzgte cams according to this

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pag...ZA80/jza80.htm

besides that one degree on exhaust timing...
hopefully the duration is the same... should be right????

duration has got to be the same... so i'm doing it. callin the shop tomorrow morning and telling them to go through with the plan.
originally it was going to be 160 to just clean the head, plain it, check the valve clearances and put any in spec if needed.
now its an extra 150 to do the cams and re-due all the clearances.
so 310 total. i guess taking off that dizzy gear is some extra work so i dont think its a bad deal. im on a tight budget so any extra lift i can get im gonna take. plus it will be good to redue all the clearances anyways.

i'll take picks of the cam with the gear machined off before i put the motor back in. maybe i'll throw some pics of my blown 1j with no compression in cylinder one as well

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GE cam shaft work in 1JZ-GTE?