Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car will not stat in the cold but will when its over 40degrees SC400....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 06:07 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default car will not stat in the cold but will when its over 40degrees SC400....

my car would not start this morning or this afternoon but it is 30 degrees outside... will start when it heats up though???? im so stumped!

***ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WEATHER DROPS BELOW 45-50 DEGREES*******

-would replacing the cold start valve fix my problem?
-i got a new battery 2 months ago. 820 CCA
-the car doesnt try cranking up with starter fluid if it hasnt been running(today). but yesterday it heated up outside and i drove it than at night it started once with starter fluid but wont start again because the engine was to cooled off now its all the way cooled.
-starter works very well
-fuel pump is working and i can feel fuel going in the fuel rails
-COULD IT BE AN IGNITION PROBLEM? i changed my plugs and wires 4 months ago also.
-changed my Crank Position Sensor around 4 months ago.

***ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WEATHER DROPS BELOW 45-50 DEGREES*******

i really need to fix this problem ASAP, i got to get to class as my co-op program is only for 1 more week. this couldnt be happening at a crappier time. esp with my interview for my job coming up on th 17th..... i've been bumming rides at 7:00am.
Old 12-08-10, 07:40 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

820 cca seems pretty good, not sure why it isn't starting. have you tried a Optima battery before?

Last edited by SC300_704; 12-08-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 09:03 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could be the result of a bad electrical connection that's thermally sensitive (ie. metal contracts in the cold and breaks the electrical contact, thereby opening the circuit)
Old 12-09-10, 04:07 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC300_704
820 cca seems pretty good, not sure why it isn't starting. have you tried a Optima battery before?
no i have not, but if i got 820CCA why would a optima battery help? (not being rude!) also i tried jumping the car off it didnt help any, just allowed me to get more stumped

Originally Posted by good2go
This could be the result of a bad electrical connection that's thermally sensitive (ie. metal contracts in the cold and breaks the electrical contact, thereby opening the circuit)
how would i test for something like that? i cleaned all my grounds and am getting a .0001 reading on all of them.

its 18 degrees this morning!!! and im bumming another ride haha
Old 12-09-10, 10:31 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

ok.... it started but it is also 42 degrees outside again.......

could the gap on my spark plugs cause the problem im describing?
Old 12-09-10, 12:19 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u try ur radiator fluid that can have a certein degree affect
Old 12-09-10, 01:27 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

This seems to be an odd issue, but I have to agree with SC300 704 on this one.

But then again, my SC300 never had a starting issue, even below 30* with an Optima..Could possibly be the battery.

How are the gauges and interior lights when below 42*? Are they dimmer more than usual?
Old 12-10-10, 10:02 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

NOpe they are normal. THE BATTERY IS GOOD. stop saying battery it is not the battery.
Old 12-10-10, 11:24 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by good2go
I agree with this over the other ideas. And to test for this, you can take a hair dryer or heat gun and (carefully so as not to melt anything) warm up the connectors starting with the ECU and igniter.
Old 12-10-10, 12:43 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

I changed one coil today and couldn't get to the other one with the limited amount of tools I have in my apartment. So I just returned the right(driver side) coil instead of keeping it. But I didn't notice a difference in changing the one I did. but if the problem happens after I replace my relay I will get the Coil back and install it one way or another.

I found that the relay for the ignition had a resistance of about .1-2 on 4 of the 6 leads. Expensive part ($99) but worth a shot. Just ordered it from Toyota I shall test it tomorrow morning. For now though Im going to wait until the weather drops back down and pull the fuse and have it at room temp than bring it out there and see what happens.

This is such a hard long process! I'm just thankful I have the expenses at this time.
Old 12-10-10, 02:49 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

didnt work...........

im tired of playing this game with this car. does noone have a clue what would stick in the cold dealing with ignition not allowing it to get spark?
Old 12-10-10, 03:09 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I agree with this over the other ideas. And to test for this, you can take a hair dryer or heat gun and (carefully so as not to melt anything) warm up the connectors starting with the ECU and igniter.
Did you try this?
Old 12-10-10, 03:30 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iridebmx
NOpe they are normal. THE BATTERY IS GOOD. stop saying battery it is not the battery.
Originally Posted by iridebmx
didnt work...........

im tired of playing this game with this car. does noone have a clue what would stick in the cold dealing with ignition not allowing it to get spark?

its the battery, battery, battery....sheesh, calm down. You ask for help, people are giving ideas and thoughts.

Have you tried using a multimeter and do some real troubleshooting? Cause I highly doubt anyone is going to be-able to just give you an answer that you will like without actually getting under the hood for you. Only thing that comes to mind that would stick after a certain temp, would be a relay, obviously seeing as how a simple fuse has no moving internal parts.
Old 12-20-10, 08:24 AM
evotom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh i had this happen to me last week....it turn out that the connection on the terminal of the battery was bad..... you might wanna check the connection....
Old 12-21-10, 03:21 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I just received my rebuild ECU back from Lexus and WOW!

I was getting 4 CEL readings before but they are all gone now and surprisingly the most aggravating ones, the knock sensors and a/f.

my car wasn't starting in cold weather and i plugged my ecu back up and it started immediately without one crank!!!

im so happy right now!!

Quick Reply: car will not stat in the cold but will when its over 40degrees SC400....