Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tt ffim

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 09:21 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tt ffim

So I'm going to tackle this next ive read how "turbodreamz" has fabricated his. My question is my stock TB is HUUUGE and bulky, plus would rather have one that just bolts rite up while retaining a TPS, Does the TT one work my guess is yes also does the Infinity Q45 bolt rite up?
Old 04-27-10, 10:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the stock TB is bulky..I have been wondering about the stock USDM TT TB and if the tps can be swapped or just plug and play, but I have no idea about the q45 tb..really wish I had more info to share on the TB topic, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 05-06-10, 03:24 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Well Install of the FFIM was going to happen today but after comparing both of the manifolds its looks like a lot more than just porting etc. I mean there not even close. Knew I shoulda just went with a swap
Attached Thumbnails Tt ffim-both1.jpg   Tt ffim-gasket1.jpg   Tt ffim-engine-1.jpg  
Old 05-06-10, 06:33 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

you have to remove the lower runners to get the exact fit. remove the lowers, bolt them to the GTE upper then look at it again and you will notice a big difference from what your looking at there. Seems very discouraging, but trust me they line up.
Old 05-06-10, 07:13 PM
DKSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the manifold does just bolt right up if you remove the lower runners and match it up right? Cuz I just bought a supra manifold to eliminate the retarded middle feed one and need to be sure it will work before I do any major teardown.
Old 05-06-10, 09:55 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

turbodremz you have to remove the lower runners to get the exact fit. remove the lowers, bolt them to the GTE upper then look at it again and you will notice a big difference from what your looking at there. Seems very discouraging, but trust me they line up.
So yours were off that much too? didn't know if newer year may be different. The manifold wouldn't even slide on to the 2 studs from lower, I had to ream out the holes alot on each side so it slid on. I noticed a big gap in the middle runners, which I thought sealing it with adhesive might get sucked into motor. Also it seems really hard if I were to bolt lower to upper out of the car and then try to install it, how did ya do that?
Old 05-07-10, 08:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you could get a sheet of like 1/8 aluminum and make a flange. just cut out the 6 holes with a hole saw and drill out the mounting bolts. thats way both sides will have something flat to seal against where there is overlap.

the reason i abandoned the project right after i basically started it is the hole for the mismatched runners will have to be smaller than the other runners, unless you can do some serious work. there is no way you can safely say its not changing the amount of air that will enter those runners.
Even though I could technically run individual cylinder fuel trims with the ems, I didn't think it was a good idea to sacrifice flow to gain a ffim. whole point of ffim is the flow.
Old 05-07-10, 09:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^+ That's why i never bother trying the TT stock manifold, you better off just spend $700 an aftermarket FFIM that works 100%.
I thought about it, for me it was a waste of time trying to half *** stuff....
Old 05-07-10, 03:26 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ya I guess I'll wait and locate a plate or something and custom fab it.
Old 05-07-10, 03:45 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

you dont need to fabricate anything. The way the gasket sits in those pictures, isnt how the runners line up, sounds odd I know. Yes the runners are off, but not to where anything needs to fabricated/welded/cut/etc..I know its a huge pain to remove the lower runners, but its well worth it. You get to see exactly how everything lines up, inspect your starter, and everything under the runners and possibly tuck some of the harness if you want to take the time.
Old 05-07-10, 03:53 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

This is very interesting, I kept my lower runners from my (MKIII) 89 turbo
Would that work if i had a custom piece made to fit on my GE to do my NA-T?.
Old 05-07-10, 04:14 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

you can make an adapter plate to fit just about anything, but the 2JZ-GTE upper will bolt to the stock lower GE runners with very very little work.

As for the stock 7MGTE runners, I have no idea how well they would line up to the ports on the GE head, so that might be a bit much, but you would have to compare the runners side by side.
Old 05-07-10, 04:29 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Its like playing with Mr.Potato head lmao!!!
Old 05-07-10, 05:01 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

pretty much, but when it comes to the runners, you dont want too much of a difference for flow restriction purposes.

I just wish now that I would have taken more pictures for member reference when using the GTE manifold with the stock lower runners.
Old 05-07-10, 05:02 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

turbodremz you dont need to fabricate anything. The way the gasket sits in those pictures, isnt how the runners line up, sounds odd I know. Yes the runners are off, but not to where anything needs to fabricated/welded/cut/etc..I know its a huge pain to remove the lower runners, but its well worth it. You get to see exactly how everything lines up, inspect your starter, and everything under the runners and possibly tuck some of the harness if you want to take the time.
Mabe my intake Mani Is different than yours then(VVTI) because The mani wouldn't even slide on to the lower at all I had to ream the ***** outta both end holes and its still tight to slide on, But when I did have them together there was a big space just like the gasket pic above. I just want to do it one time and one time only and have good flow ya know. Do you have pics of your fabricating?

Quick Reply: Tt ffim