Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Making a 1JZ list, Need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 03:19 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making a 1JZ list, Need your help

So I bit the bullet and ordered my 1JZ from JDM planet. I havent heard much about them on this board but JHOT and GSpeed were all out of stock. JDM Planets feedback on Ebay looks pretty good so I went ahead and ordered. Im in the process of getting some parts from DM to do some maintaince work and need some help.

What I have in my cart

-New T Belt
-New Thermostat
-New Serp belt
-New rear main seal
-I need a new Water pump but not sure if this is the one I need, can someone chime in please?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...ewaterpump.php

I didnt understand it saying that this pump will eliminate hydrofan pump, wassup with this? Someone explain please..

-thinking maybe some new engine mounts??
-I definetly need a new clutch to handle the new setup, any suggestions and where to get one??

If ya'll can think of anything else, let me know. I been reading thru all the 1JZ threads these past few days and Im stoked on this project..

Last edited by 6SOARER; 02-19-10 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 03:35 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Ya thats the water pump you need. The hydrofan setup is from supra 1jz's, and you need to use a mechanical pump just like that one.

While you're doing the timing belt and water pump, you might as well do the front main seal too.
Old 02-19-10, 04:39 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Cool man, thanks for setting that straight. If I need help your my go to guy
Old 02-19-10, 09:28 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot the single turbo....haha
GL with your motor man!
Old 02-20-10, 01:02 AM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spark plugs, full aluminium radiator, front mount... hehehehehe
Old 02-20-10, 01:04 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

^^ which aluminum radiator would be best?
Old 02-20-10, 01:43 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

depending on the 1JZ you ordered, you might have to order the entire water pump assembly due to the hydro fan setup. If you're lucky it will be mechanical, and you can get away with replacing just the front half of the water pump. Mine was a mechanical pump so i got away with replacing just the front half. What kind of car did the 1JZ come out of? Water pump depends on which 1JZ you got.

I would just bite the bullet and get the 1JZ gasket kit from Driftmotion, as some of your gaskets and seals will probably leak due to long period of time from sitting around a warehouse.

need some radiator hoses as the inlet and outlet spots are different compared to our 2JZs...

I would also invest into some new engine mounts cuz the ones on there are probably shot anyways.

for clutch im can't speak from experience but im going to go with a Centerforce dual friction unit on my W58.
Old 02-20-10, 03:53 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

ive used cxracing radiators for 2 years now no problems,
Old 02-20-10, 07:18 PM
Smokeshow
Driver School Candidate

Go to driftmotion and check out their 1 jz parts list. They have a complete Toyota gasket oem kit for the 1j for $200 iirc. This includes all the gaskets on the engine as well as the valve seals which leak and make your car smoke for a little bit when you first start it up. I have never ordered from them but I think they have good service and they seem to have lots of oem and aftermarket parts for the 1jz.
Old 02-20-10, 07:51 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

I could def throw out some info on the 1j setup but what is your goal?? what are you setting this up for? just to run stock twins? or for power?

i would recommend a tuner once its said and done. a tuner is one of the main things you need. This car is completely different when its tuned...
Old 02-20-10, 08:41 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ordered quite a bit from Driftmotion, never had much of an issue.

I got the TRD replica motor mounts Driftmotions sells, these are great. For the clutch try horsepowerfreaks.com

Definitely get the entire engine gasket kit.

You'll need a tube of FIPG. Make sure you remove the two cam sensors and use some FIPG to seal where the metal meets the plastics housing. You can save yourself an annoying leak later on if you do this. The cam sensors have 2 bolts and just slide out...easy cheesy

You'll need a bottle of Toyota red coolant. $18-20

I'd also replace the timing belt idler pulley, but the 2JZ one is not interchangeable. You can swap the bearing over to the 1JZ idle pulley bracket. If you try to use the 2JZ one the timing belt will not fit.

Get the fuel dampner bypass hose from DM now and do it during the swap.

Hook up your boost controller during the swap before the motor goes in.

For the radiator I'd use the Mishimoto MKIV Supra one if I was doing it over again.

Last edited by RyanV; 02-20-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 11:38 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

From experience.
motor mounts for sure got mine from DM.(My old ones shredded on removal)
boost controller-hook lines up before dropping the motor in. I did not and not I am paying for it.
Old 02-21-10, 09:07 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mptjimmy
spark plugs, full aluminium radiator, front mount... hehehehehe
Id like to go FMIC but Im spending way more than I wanted to and the list still continues. But if I cant find a SMIC, looks like I have no choice ..

Originally Posted by StiCk3
depending on the 1JZ you ordered, you might have to order the entire water pump assembly due to the hydro fan setup. If you're lucky it will be mechanical, and you can get away with replacing just the front half of the water pump. Mine was a mechanical pump so i got away with replacing just the front half. What kind of car did the 1JZ come out of? Water pump depends on which 1JZ you got.

need some radiator hoses as the inlet and outlet spots are different compared to our 2JZs...

I would also invest into some new engine mounts cuz the ones on there are probably shot anyways.

for clutch im can't speak from experience but im going to go with a Centerforce dual friction unit on my W58.
The guy told me its from a Soarer, JZZ30. I just placed an order on some used parts(waterpump,fan,thermostat etc) from quickGS300 so hopefully they will work. I usually dont cut corners and buy used parts but he told me that these only have 7k miles on them, in excellent shape and the price sounds fair.

Im still debating on TT mounts and the mounts from DM, Im hearing good things about the DM mounts tho and might order a pair. Im sure my mounts are shot by now with almost 200k on em.

Upper and lower radiator hoses I want are from the MarkIV TT, right??

Originally Posted by Smokeshow
Go to driftmotion and check out their 1 jz parts list. They have a complete Toyota gasket oem kit for the 1j for $200 iirc. This includes all the gaskets on the engine as well as the valve seals which leak and make your car smoke for a little bit when you first start it up. I have never ordered from them but I think they have good service and they seem to have lots of oem and aftermarket parts for the 1jz.
Thats where Im getting most of my 1JZ parts from

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
I could def throw out some info on the 1j setup but what is your goal?? what are you setting this up for? just to run stock twins? or for power?

i would recommend a tuner once its said and done. a tuner is one of the main things you need. This car is completely different when its tuned...
Maybe in the near future, but for now all I want is a little more than what my stock SC300 is pushing. I think I'll be happy with almost 100 more horses ..

Originally Posted by RyanV
I've ordered quite a bit from Driftmotion, never had much of an issue.

I got the TRD replica motor mounts Driftmotions sells, these are great. For the clutch try horsepowerfreaks.com

Definitely get the entire engine gasket kit.

You'll need a tube of FIPG. Make sure you remove the two cam sensors and use some FIPG to seal where the metal meets the plastics housing. You can save yourself an annoying leak later on if you do this. The cam sensors have 2 bolts and just slide out...easy cheesy

You'll need a bottle of Toyota red coolant. $18-20

I'd also replace the timing belt idler pulley, but the 2JZ one is not interchangeable. You can swap the bearing over to the 1JZ idle pulley bracket. If you try to use the 2JZ one the timing belt will not fit.

Get the fuel dampner bypass hose from DM now and do it during the swap.

Hook up your boost controller during the swap before the motor goes in.

For the radiator I'd use the Mishimoto MKIV Supra one if I was doing it over again.
Yeah, I read your build and thats what got me motivated along with some other builds. Im not that advanced into getting all into the gaskets and all but defintely maybe when I need em. Im having a friend from work help me so when I get stuck he can help me pull thru..

What does the fuel dampner do? Is this necesarry?

Are these the mounts your talking about??
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...or1jz2jz7m.php

Boost controller im not too familiar with yet. Im new to boost and hopefully one day I'll be a little more knowledgeable with forced induction to step up my game..

Thanks for all the input and your suggestions guys. I want to make sure the swap goes as smooth as possible and be prepared for whats to come. From what I read, the biggest headache was extending the harness on these swaps. I think I'll do OK, Im looking forward to soldering some wires. Roughly how much wire and what gauge Am I going to need/use??

Last edited by 6SOARER; 02-21-10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 10:51 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Is there anything I can use from a SC400? My old boss called me yesterday and told me that one of his workers wrecked his 400 and asked if I needed parts from it before his insurance company comes and gets it. I know Im going to need the Power Steering resevior but is there anything else I need for the swap???
Old 11-23-10, 09:36 AM
xzeus
Rookie

I know this thread is pretty old but, how was the engine from JDM PLANET on ebay? hope your swap went well.