Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Uncontrollable Vehicle Acceleration does affect SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 09:01 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

obviously....
Old 02-05-10, 09:48 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

So, the moral of the story is unintended acceleration can happen on mechanical linkage cars too; just turn off the ignition.
Old 02-05-10, 10:17 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I have heard, the cars that are experiencing these acceleration problems have pedal assemblies and the DBW systems manufactured here in the US. Its a joint contract with Toyota/GM(Daimler-Chrysler), but only the cars with the US manufactured parts are having the problems. The vehicles equipped with the Japanese manufactured items have had no issues reported.

Sad thing is, I have to test drive some of these cars starting next week with "new systems" installed to see if the issue has been resolved. Good thing the company I currently work for has good insurance, but still a debate on where the testing will be done, closed course or open road.
Old 02-06-10, 05:20 AM
Toytech
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a note, the cars are not accelerating the pedals are sticking. Some people think if they push a sticking gas down quickly it will unstick, but what happens is the pedal sticks down farther. This happened to one of our apprentices with a 1990 turbo Supra on a snow covered road. He spun out and destroyed the car. The car was at the shop for a sticking gas pedal complaint. The female owner of the Supra never panicked when it stuck for her, she just popped it out of gear and pulled over and turned the car off.
The Toyota dealer I worked for had to find a Supra of the same year and similar mileage in Canada for her.
Old 02-06-10, 07:31 AM
louie1951
Rookie

you could shift to N then safely turn off. high revs for a couple seconds vs. blasting into something, you get the point.
Old 02-06-10, 07:39 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

stupidity affects everyone and every car.

I have heard so many different stories about this recall. From it being the gas pedal to the linkage to the floor mats. I blame cell phones and lazy drivers

Last edited by TheRonTom3; 02-06-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 07:44 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

I've owned 4 sc 400, and one sc 300, either of them ever had this issue. Our pedals use cable , the only way it will start sticking is if the cable get seized somehow. The pedal mechanism itself cannot stick unless its rusted out.
Old 02-06-10, 08:36 AM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

As an unintended acceleration "survivor", turning the ignition off in gear led to a controlled deceleration to the side of the road and not wheel lock up resulting in flipping the car over. LOL.
Old 02-06-10, 10:00 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is the next time I get pulled over its gonna be "Officer my gas pedal stuck"
Old 02-06-10, 10:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree.. I gonna use that one next time I get pulled over!

Wether he believes me or not, will be the difference!
Old 02-06-10, 10:21 AM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my sc pedal gets stuck down pretty often

its quite fun, really.
Old 02-06-10, 02:31 PM
ewingli
Pole Position

This happened to me last year as well (95 sc400). The experience was unpleasant and holding down the brakes helped but it was still reving and I had to shut off the engine for it to stop. It hasn't happened since, and no it wasn't because the pedals were stuck....
Old 02-06-10, 02:45 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TankMR
So damn obvious to do, don't understand how that cop in the ES350 got up to 140mph before he crash and died.

This thread is useless. If the guy who told you that is telling the truth, then it is definitely a one-off problem. No need to make a generalized post that claims "uncontrolled acceleration does affect SC400". This car has been out of production for 10 years now and this is the first I have heard of the issue.
I have to wonder if the "unbiased" press were really reporting what actually happened in the instance of the Highway Patrolman doing that. I mean, come on, how hard is it to just turn off the ignition? The cop was supposedly on his cell phone at the time, too! Really!
Anything to sell a newspaper, I guess...
Old 02-06-10, 03:51 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
All I know is the next time I get pulled over its gonna be "Officer my gas pedal stuck"
lol I'm gonna use that too haha

Originally Posted by ewingli
This happened to me last year as well (95 sc400). The experience was unpleasant and holding down the brakes helped but it was still reving and I had to shut off the engine for it to stop. It hasn't happened since, and no it wasn't because the pedals were stuck....
Ya maybe it's not the pedal. Maybe it has to do with the cruise control or something who knows. Anyways I'm not too worried about it.
Old 02-06-10, 07:41 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has uncontrollable acceleration........when I accelerate, the *** gets squirly and sometimes I can't control it.

Quick Reply: Uncontrollable Vehicle Acceleration does affect SC400