Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

remote mount turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 12:49 AM
iceman400
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my 60mm turbo for remote SC400

This is the turbo i'm gonna run for my remote mounted sc400 setup.I had a recent check engine light code25 . I think I have fixed the issue with that so before I start the turbo setup I wanna be sure its running 100% first.

Last edited by iceman400; 01-27-10 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 10:04 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With rear mounted turbo, you can expect your car will sound like a jet.
Old 01-27-10, 11:20 AM
lexsc4oo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to UTI (ha ha i kno, but im not a dumbass like most uti guys) and we have a gto there with the sts setup, and as far as the lag goes it really isnt that bad, maybe another 5-900 rpm compared to a front mount turbo. And i have a buddy there with one on his Gt stang and his only prob was the rain and rocks and debree, so he ran the intake into the trunk(no there isnt a lack of air in the trunk it is vented really well on ALL CARS) and got a blanket for the turbo and welded small plate around the turbo to keep rocks of it. I also have a friend who mounted his track only camaros rear mount in the trunk and it works PERFECT. I am also plannin on doing a rear mount on my sc4 due to the cost of manifolds for the 1uz.

just my 0.02
Old 01-27-10, 03:31 PM
IowaSc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexsc4oo
I go to UTI (ha ha i kno, but im not a dumbass like most uti guys) and we have a gto there with the sts setup, and as far as the lag goes it really isnt that bad, maybe another 5-900 rpm compared to a front mount turbo. And i have a buddy there with one on his Gt stang and his only prob was the rain and rocks and debree, so he ran the intake into the trunk(no there isnt a lack of air in the trunk it is vented really well on ALL CARS) and got a blanket for the turbo and welded small plate around the turbo to keep rocks of it. I also have a friend who mounted his track only camaros rear mount in the trunk and it works PERFECT. I am also plannin on doing a rear mount on my sc4 due to the cost of manifolds for the 1uz.

just my 0.02
i plan on it with the cost compared to a front mount.
you could use exhaust pipe for the return pipe up to the front mount.
you could get materials fairly cheap with the remote mount. or you could spend big bucks on stainless mandrel bent pipes is what i would do. but i get alot of scrap stainless exhaust from the performance shop next to where i work. and i can get turbos and stuff like that really cheap from the guy at the junkyard. i was thinking of getting a hx40 turbo from a turbo diesel dodge.
i will be putting most of the money into tuning and fuel management.
Old 01-28-10, 01:47 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexsc4oo

just my 0.02

Due to the recession, your ¢.02 is void.

im just kidding. sounds like a good way to make it Dailyable. but i like my trunk space.
Old 06-09-10, 08:26 PM
IowaSc
Driver School Candidate

any more input on this guys? [= just trying to bring this thread alive again. oh and just got a new windshield installed in my sc400 today finding a pass side window motor now. nust makes me want to keep it even more. really trying to find some 5spd parts i can use around my neck of the woods.
Old 06-09-10, 09:47 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just read this thread...I was not aware of it. I am glad to see it getting done. While I am not a fan of rear mount turbo set ups, they can produce insane power...I know of some Vettes with them and they are awesome. Great way, as Steve Chumo noted, to deal with heat. But there are still many trade offs.

To the guy who mentioned wanting to set one up for $300-$600, if I understood him correctly, no way, no how. Guys are always wanting power for no money. Those two are diametrically opposed...You want power, you have to spend a decent amount or more in money. Every vehicle is made to certain specs, and when you start improving the performance of one system in the car, it affects every other system in the car, so to properly do it, you must improve all the related systems in the car so that everything is balanced.

Gotta be some lag, but I am not sure how much, as the plumbing stays filled with air, so once you are moving, the volume should remain pretty constant. Velocity may be more of an issue, but I am not sure since I have no experience with remote set ups. If I were to do this, I would lose the trunk, and modify it for the set up. Lots of plumbing though.

I am curious to see your results...Please keep us posted, and welcome to the Boosted 1UZ family!

Ryan
Old 06-09-10, 09:48 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman400
This is the turbo i'm gonna run for my remote mounted sc400 setup.I had a recent check engine light code25 . I think I have fixed the issue with that so before I start the turbo setup I wanna be sure its running 100% first.

Damn that's a small turbo....

Ryan
Old 06-10-10, 07:49 PM
IowaSc
Driver School Candidate

that is pretty small lol specs?
Old 06-11-10, 04:39 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

The rule of thumb is any turbo that you can hold easily by 1 hand is small.
Old 06-12-10, 09:31 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

I thought over on Lextreme, in the Apex SAFC write up they mentioned that the stock injectors are good for up to 8lbs of boost, can anyone attest to this?

I'm planning on getting the sts turbo over the winter time and I'm trying to get the shopping list together. I wanted to find out if the Apex SAFC is needed or can I get away with a rising fuel pressure regulator?

The stock AFM is unplugged and is shot but I'm looking into a MAFT http://www.maftpro.com/ could the SAFC be used with a different air flow sensor?

*sorry to thread jack
Old 06-12-10, 09:49 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Damn that's a small turbo....

Ryan
Or really he has really big hands!
Attached Thumbnails remote mount turbo.-the-science-of-sleep-had-some-big-hands-30726-1237324696-15.jpg   remote mount turbo.-bill-cosby.jpg  

Last edited by ScottURnot; 06-12-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 10:30 AM
IowaSc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snsrushing
I thought over on Lextreme, in the Apex SAFC write up they mentioned that the stock injectors are good for up to 8lbs of boost, can anyone attest to this?

I'm planning on getting the sts turbo over the winter time and I'm trying to get the shopping list together. I wanted to find out if the Apex SAFC is needed or can I get away with a rising fuel pressure regulator?

The stock AFM is unplugged and is shot but I'm looking into a MAFT http://www.maftpro.com/ could the SAFC be used with a different air flow sensor?

*sorry to thread jack

not thread jacking at all these are the things im trying to find out myself too. any info is good to me. im just trying to figure out how to get a tune with stock ecu
Old 06-14-10, 03:23 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

I'm supposed to call STS later today to get a price quote. Also I'm going to find out if I were to mount a oil resevoir with the scavanger pump in the trunk if it would work.
This way the turbo would have an independent oiling sytem. I dont know if it would work but I'm thinking in case something happened to the scavenger pump it would just take out the turbo not the whole engine. Maybe being high and dry will extend the life of the pump.
Old 06-15-10, 03:15 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

I talked to Andy (I think that was his name) at STS. The turbo, blow off valve and waste gate are from TurboSmart. They have the turbo made to tighter clearnace and tolerances becuase of it being mounted in the back there isnt the heat expansion like you would see on under the hood systems.
The independent oiling system wouldnt work because the pump they provide wouldnt be able to recirculate the oil independently. They sell theres for $325 and he said they last about 50k miles.
I guess the boost dependant rising fuel pressure regulator would be fine for tuning but he had mentioned something about tuning the timing. Anybody know anything about that with the SC400?

Quick Reply: remote mount turbo.