Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Almost to pretty to install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 10:25 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Almost to pretty to install

Hey CL you guy ever hear those stories about people finding crazy deals on Ebay ? Deal that just make say how is that possible. Well that was me for the longest time .I use to think how come I can't never find these crazy deals my friends tell me about.Well I am glad to finally say I found such a deal.Check it out

Almost to pretty to install-new-2j.jpg

There she is a brand new 2JZ-GTE short block. This is my second motor in less then 3 weeks .Long story short .4 months ago I blew my org motor leaving a 1/4 track. I saved up my money and bought a used 2j short block. I sent the bottom end to a machine shop to be rebuilt it .Thinking everything was fine I turned the boost down and proceeded to put 700 plus miles on the rebuilt motor.I then went to the dyno to tune . And after only 7 passes @ 19lbs I heard the unbelievable, rod knock .I spun a rod bearing .Man I was extremely frustrated and neddless to say broke . So in the following weeks I did even want to look at my car. So a good friend of my suggested to go on Ebay and look for another short block .Once I logged on I found two new 2J's and knowing what these damn motors cost, I thought to myself I don't have a chance in hell on getting a deal on one of these .

I take it all back I picked up this motor for 1400.00 bucks and that includes a complete Toyota gasket kit .and the best part is the guy was in Fl.So I took an 8 hr around trip and picked it up. .Now I have to do it all over again but I'm not complaining I miss driving my car.

Last edited by //LRD; 01-18-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 10:30 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, you found quite a deal!
Old 01-19-10, 04:22 PM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck.Rumors are they are now built in mexico but i have never heard of anyone having issues.Dealer cost is more than that so it was a steal!!!
Old 01-19-10, 04:25 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

niiice find! This usually cost 4K from the dealer rite?
Old 01-19-10, 04:39 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet *** find John, was it the engine builder from the re-builds fault for the bearing issue ? I guess u have parts for days huh can I buy some
Old 01-19-10, 05:27 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F4A22
Good luck.Rumors are they are now built in mexico but i have never heard of anyone having issues.Dealer cost is more than that so it was a steal!!!
that 's news to me .I spoke to Titan just yesterday and inquired about rumors that the newer GTE blocks share the same rods as a NA VVTI. And was glad to hear( who in the hell told you that chit ) . He continued to say with all the blocks that they've taking apart over the yrs not once has he ever seen or noticed a difference in the rods.

Originally Posted by jadu
niiice find! This usually cost 4K from the dealer rite?
Thanks 2200-2400 if you don't know anyone 1975.00 if an employee buys it.

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Sweet *** find John, was it the engine builder from the re-builds fault for the bearing issue ? I guess u have parts for days huh can I buy some

thanks bro n I'm not sure yet .But sorry Richard is buying the block already with a good crank that I had laying around. I got a bare GTE block that needs some machine work maybe a 20 over in number 6 for the low low .lol
Old 01-19-10, 07:24 PM
tampa mike
Driver

good find!

ya hear that sound? thats the sound of ebay locking up as the entire club lexus scours it for 2JZGTE shortblocks HAHA
Old 01-19-10, 08:07 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tampa mike
good find!

ya hear that sound? thats the sound of ebay locking up as the entire club lexus scours it for 2JZGTE shortblocks HAHA

To funny . Thanks Mike
Old 01-19-10, 10:01 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the clearances on those "rebuilt factory blocks."
Old 01-20-10, 04:39 AM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Check the clearances on those "rebuilt factory blocks."

what factory rebuilt block ??
Old 01-20-10, 05:36 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice find.......
Old 01-20-10, 05:42 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by //LRD
what factory rebuilt block ??
john the above poster is very much correct

they are not rebuilt but they are assembled in mexico and if you read over on supra forums within the last 2years many many people who have bought new short blocks have been having problems with proper clearances esp on the bearings not being 100 correct ,, in other words a loose motor ..

john , my friend , do yourself a favor and for peace of mind send the block to a trusted machine shop and let the recheck the tolerances and clearances before you install it , please
Old 01-20-10, 05:42 AM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Nice find!! Now install that bad boy already!!!

Last edited by Wicked SC; 01-20-10 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 06:06 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John what Ed posted is true it has happened to a few people on the supra forums.
Old 01-20-10, 06:36 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
john the above poster is very much correct

they are not rebuilt but they are assembled in mexico and if you read over on supra forums within the last 2years many many people who have bought new short blocks have been having problems with proper clearances esp on the bearings not being 100 correct ,, in other words a loose motor ..

john , my friend , do yourself a favor and for peace of mind send the block to a trusted machine shop and let the recheck the tolerances and clearances before you install it , please
Originally Posted by Dew23
John what Ed posted is true it has happened to a few people on the supra forums.
John must be beating his head against the desk as he reads this

Quick Reply: Almost to pretty to install