Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

About to buy a 1jzgte

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 02:32 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a 1jzgte

Sup guys, Im about to buy a 1jzgte to put on my 95 5speed SC and I have a few questions:

1.) How much does a swap usually cost?

2.) How realiable are these engines?

3.) How is the maintenance on them? since theyre jdm, how would you get parts for a tune up and other stuff like that?

Any other input is welcome. Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-09, 02:36 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

make sure you get it from a good shop, a bad engine is the worst thing to happen
Old 11-21-09, 02:38 PM
sc3757
Pole Position

A swap the correct and reliable way would prob cost around 3k. ask around and look at others who have done it.

Very reliable seeing that the came out of running cars most likely. Just tune them up and do you maintenance on them while they are out to assure it.

a lot of the 2jz and 7m stuff swap over to the 1jz.

i suggest getting it from jhot they are the best at giving you the COMPLETE motor set
Old 11-21-09, 02:55 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vortes
make sure you get it from a good shop, a bad engine is the worst thing to happen
Oh yeah def. I have known the dudes that are selling me the engine and who will do the swap, I just havent asked him how much then swap is gonna be lol. But they do good work, they did a 2jzgte vvti swap on my freinds GS300.
Old 11-21-09, 05:36 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.driftmotion.com for all your 1JZ needs.
Old 11-21-09, 07:05 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ cool thanks but thats a limited amount of products
Old 11-21-09, 07:54 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingluis6
Sup guys, Im about to buy a 1jzgte to put on my 95 5speed SC and I have a few questions:

1.) How much does a swap usually cost?

2.) How realiable are these engines?

3.) How is the maintenance on them? since theyre jdm, how would you get parts for a tune up and other stuff like that?

Any other input is welcome. Thanks in advance
no offense, but if you really have to ask questions like that, you're probably not ready for a swap to begin with.
Old 11-21-09, 08:08 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^^^Ding Ding Ding.....
Old 11-21-09, 08:10 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Net
no offense, but if you really have to ask questions like that, you're probably not ready for a swap to begin with.
And why is that? Its not like Im going to be doing the swap. (thats why I asked how much do the swaps usually cost) And like I stated before I have good freinds that will do very good work with the swap, Ive seen there work. From 2jzgte's on IS300's and on GS300's to K20's and K24's on Civics. So im pretty sure they will lead me in the right direction. I just started this thread for suggestions, ideas, thoughts. I mean thats why these forums are created for.
Old 11-21-09, 08:19 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

again, no offense, but i thought you were planning on doing the swap yourself. but yeah, if you have some pros doing the work then i retract my statement.

1J Reliability is just as good as the 2J.

but honestly, going the NA-T route is waaaay more cost effective than doing a complete swap. and dealing with with the wiring, speedo issues, and other hassles asociated with doing the 1J(which u wont honestly know the condition of the motor either, it may/most likely will have sludge) swap just dosen't make it worth it, imo. Sure the 1J comes stock turbo, but thats the only real reason to swap it...but then again you can just fortify/rebuild your 2J engine, then install a quality turbo kit and have hella hun.

it just baffles me how so many ppl underestimate the 2JZ-GE NA-T capabilities and just jump for all this 1J hype.

Last edited by MIGS; 11-21-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-21-09, 09:09 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Net
again, no offense, but i thought you were planning on doing the swap yourself. but yeah, if you have some pros doing the work then i retract my statement.

1J Reliability is just as good as the 2J.

but honestly, going the NA-T route is waaaay more cost effective than doing a complete swap. and dealing with with the wiring, speedo issues, and other hassles asociated with doing the 1J(which u wont honestly know the condition of the motor either, it may/most likely will have sludge) swap just dosen't make it worth it, imo. Sure the 1J comes stock turbo, but thats the only real reason to swap it...but then again you can just fortify/rebuild your 2J engine, then install a quality turbo kit and have hella hun.

it just baffles me how so many ppl underestimate the 2JZ-GE NA-T capabilities and just jump for all this 1J hype.

oh ok, yeah i wont be doing the swap myself lol. About the NA-T, yeah Ive noticed that people are making good numbers on that setup. My overall goal is 400hp to the wheels. However, my engine already has about 156k and I think rebuilding it and buying a turbo ki would be more expensive than the
1jzgte route, since new turbo kits sell for more than what I will be paying for the 1jz. The engine is being sold to me complete for $750.
Old 11-21-09, 09:22 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

The engine is being sold to me complete for $750.
thats a great price for a complete(?) 1JZ. Now If you're really getting it for that cheap (i'm kind of skeptic about its condition) and its definitely in Good/Working shape, then i say go for it, since you apparently have your mind set on it.

have you figured out what you're doing about a tranny?
Old 11-21-09, 10:09 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the motor first and see how clean it is. A low mileage 1jz shouldn't have signs of major oil leaks. If the motor looks old and dirty it probably wasn't maintained.

With the GTE motors you wont have the dumb over the valve cover pipe which makes changing sparkplugs a pita.

If you buy from JHOT you have 30 days to start it up and check for major issues..does this other motor for $750 have a startup warranty?
Old 11-21-09, 10:52 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the 1JZ and then after 6months or so you can upgrade to Single and Make 400rwhp easy all day and reliable.
If you are not going with a EMS don't go Na-T !!! Because you will learn the hard way.
You can ask the guys that went Na-T and they will tell you the same. GL
Old 11-23-09, 07:07 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

^^^ cool thanks but thats a limited amount of products
Aaron could probably get you whatever you needed. All you need to do is call.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 1jzgte