Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 overheating,

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 01:37 PM
Kodachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sc400 overheating,

I'm currently very puzzled over my 1992 sc400. I have recently had a new water pump,timing belt,thermostat,and pulleys installed. The car sat in the driveway of the guy who was supposed to do the job for about a year, its really a long story,but anyway...It runs now its a little shaky and just not running to well but, how would you run if I just woke you up from a 1 year nap. Now the temp sensor will read okay for a little while and then it will steadily rise to the H. I don't understand why. The oil looks good and the cars not smoking,but the coolant just seems to disappear over a very short period of time ,and I cant find any noticeable leak. Why is it heating up? I heard that the cooling system has to be bleed, how do I do that?
Any answer will be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 10-10-09, 01:42 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe just an air in the system? I don't know how to bleed system in Lexus, I only did that on my bmw but I think that's totally different system...
Old 10-10-09, 01:54 PM
Kodachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air in the system. That's what most forums are saying but I don't understand how air in the system can cause the car to overheat can someone explain that to me?
Old 10-10-09, 03:05 PM
Girly TT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let the car cool off. Take the radiator cap off. Turn the car on. Let it get up to operating temperature (wait until the fans kick on). It will suck in more fluid, then fill it to the very top, let it idle for a little bit, and put the radiator cap back on before the fans turn back off.

That is the easiest way to "bleed" the coolant system.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you could have a stuck/bad thermostat.

One of my old cars had been sitting for nearly a year, and we started it back up, did some quick tweaks on some things, and drove it. It overheated and seized the engine because the girl driving wasn't paying attention (even though I TOLD her to watch the gauges because it had been sitting for so long... long story, not worth delving into).

But anyway, the termostat COULD go bad from sitting unused for so long, especially if it had been run prior to putting it down, then left completely untouched/unstarted for such a long time.

Or, I would check your water pump. There's really not much to the cooling system, so... just go with process of elimination, starting with the cheapest/simplest options first.

Good luck
Old 10-11-09, 03:55 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Girly TT
let the car cool off. Take the radiator cap off. Turn the car on. Let it get up to operating temperature (wait until the fans kick on). It will suck in more fluid, then fill it to the very top, let it idle for a little bit, and put the radiator cap back on before the fans turn back off.

That is the easiest way to "bleed" the coolant system.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you could have a stuck/bad thermostat.

One of my old cars had been sitting for nearly a year, and we started it back up, did some quick tweaks on some things, and drove it. It overheated and seized the engine because the girl driving wasn't paying attention (even though I TOLD her to watch the gauges because it had been sitting for so long... long story, not worth delving into).

But anyway, the termostat COULD go bad from sitting unused for so long, especially if it had been run prior to putting it down, then left completely untouched/unstarted for such a long time.

Or, I would check your water pump. There's really not much to the cooling system, so... just go with process of elimination, starting with the cheapest/simplest options first.

Good luck
+1, had a car do the same thing to me ten years ago, good answer
Old 10-11-09, 08:20 AM
Girly TT
Rookie

I wanted to make one more addition to my post... I didn't think about this earlier, but just make sure that you "bleed" the coolant system from the highest point. I'm not familiar with the sc's yet, but I know on other cars, there's a valve higher than the radiator cap that you need to open to properly bleed the system.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck getting it fixed up!
Old 10-11-09, 09:46 AM
schap247@h
Driver School Candidate

My car isn't overheating,the fan seems to be running on high all the time..Im not sure if this would be what i have to do or is there something else to look for..thanks
Old 10-11-09, 11:07 AM
Girly TT
Rookie

Turn the a/c off, and let the car idle with the hood propped open. Then fans should only kick on when the car gets up to temperature. When the a/c is on, I believe the fans run all the time?? I'm not 100% certain though.

Are you certain they're running all the time? Take a few minutes when you get a chance, and turn the car on (cold start), and try letting it idle with the a/c and all of that turned off. Let us know if the fans are on the whole time, or only turn on when the car starts to get hot.
Old 10-11-09, 12:02 PM
MissyLexxx
Lead Lap

^^^ Wow, you really know alot about cars...
Old 10-11-09, 12:38 PM
Girly TT
Rookie

Originally Posted by MissyLexxx
^^^ Wow, you really know alot about cars...
It's my job to know as much as I can, but there's still so much that I still need to learn. Thank you.
Old 10-11-09, 01:50 PM
schap247@h
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply..The fan comes on as soon as i start the car(cold start).I've checked all fluids and no a/c on..is there a sensor i should look at..i've bleed the system,but still the fan is running on high. The car runs fine,just annoying to listen to the fan..
Old 10-11-09, 02:13 PM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

ever think the relay might be bad/shorting?
Old 10-11-09, 06:49 PM
Girly TT
Rookie

Originally Posted by schap247@h
Thanks for the reply..The fan comes on as soon as i start the car(cold start).I've checked all fluids and no a/c on..is there a sensor i should look at..i've bleed the system,but still the fan is running on high. The car runs fine,just annoying to listen to the fan..
has it always been like that? (since you first bought the car) or did it just start doing that?
Old 10-12-09, 03:54 PM
sa_dude1
Driver School Candidate

my car has been doin da same thing.
a mechanic suggested i change out da temperature sender. well i bought da damn thing but does anybody know where its located ?
Old 10-12-09, 04:14 PM
Girly TT
Rookie

in da engine bay. if u did a quik search, u'da found it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-i6-sc300.html

u try replacin da thermostat yet, yo?

Last edited by Girly TT; 10-12-09 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Sc400 overheating,