Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

any cures for heat from trans tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 08:30 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any cures for heat from trans tunnel

i get crazy heat from my tunnel and its very anoying. anyone try and cure this with something?. im thinking i could wrap my exhaust or maybe install a heat sheild
Old 09-16-09, 11:24 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wrap tubo manifold, turbo blanket, wrap exhaust, heatshild transmission. Best bet.
Old 09-17-09, 12:33 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Check that your shifter boot is good and you dont have any holes or anything around the area that is getting hot. Air flows high to low pressure, the inside of your car is lower pressure then outside so if you have any leaks, the hot air will find a way in.

I had the same problem with my old car, shifter boot was broken and the center area and the hand rest would get uncomfortably hot.
Old 09-17-09, 02:18 AM
darkling
Rookie

Default gonna try something next week

i was at friedman bro's the other day and i happened to come across a object that looked just like a shifter boot with a pliable base it was in the heater ducting section for like 9.00 gonna add it and some dynamat around the tunnel to see if i can block more . i'll let you know what happens
Old 09-17-09, 04:50 AM
2700$oarer
Rookie

i use an extra trans cooler, makes a world of difference...
Old 09-17-09, 07:36 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine gets hot as hell too, i think its the turbo my doesn't have that issue and the Sc was never this hot till after the swap.
Old 09-17-09, 08:49 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

I thought it was only me.... hahah. For me the problem was the shifter boot/seal was not bolted down/sealed completely. Its a lot better now.
Old 09-17-09, 09:06 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Mine gets hot as hell too, i think its the turbo my doesn't have that issue and the Sc was never this hot till after the swap.
Dude my hood is discolouring because of all the heat from the turbos. I would love to put a turbo blanket on it or something but I don't think they make anything that looks good for the twins....

I'll try to play with it as I have the whole front end off while I'm installing my FMIC and fixing all of the broken and trashed hardware that was slapped on there by the previous owner.
Old 09-17-09, 09:25 AM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

That sounds a bit harsh man^^

You sure it's all okay under there?
Old 09-17-09, 09:35 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Everything is good...I just run it pretty dang hard. Also, my paint is original from 92 and the hood has seen better days.

The trans tunnel thing too...if you want to be kinda ghetto; I have seen where people use household carpet scraps and shove in there underneath things as it helped block out the heat.
Old 09-17-09, 10:56 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Dang Jeff Your car really get hot, I am trying to find some kind of insulator i install some dymat to seal the hole of the auto shifter.
My right foot get so hot , that i have to move the seat all the way back when i and cruising and i wish i hadn't delete my cruise control because i am always take my foot of the gas because of the heat no Joke.
Old 09-17-09, 01:57 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I cut up one of my old license plates and ghetto rigged it to cover the hole that was left over from the auto to manual swap.
Old 09-17-09, 01:59 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Oh man I forgot about that for you auto to manual guys...
Old 09-17-09, 04:09 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
i get crazy heat from my tunnel and its very anoying. anyone try and cure this with something?. im thinking i could wrap my exhaust or maybe install a heat sheild
I wrapped up my whole tranny tunnel with hushmat and it drastically reduced the temperature and sound levels inside my car. I also added hushmat to the underside of every piece in my center console. I noticed a lot of heat entering the cabin of my car from the e-brake boot so I payed special attention and doubled up in that region. Now I need to find a way to stop the heat from entering my cabin from the steering column or just get used to the idea of running my AC 24/7
Old 09-18-09, 05:38 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I will find a solution for my car, if i have to pull the motor out again for the 3rd time i will just to install some insulator on the firewall and trans tunnel.

Quick Reply: any cures for heat from trans tunnel