Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tailshaft question, need a quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 01:35 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailshaft question, need a quick answer

Hey guys,

Can I install the tailshaft off of my na auto SC300 trans, onto an Aristo GTE auto trans? Reason I ask is because the Aristo has the 3 bolt driveshaft flange and the SC300 has the slip in type yolk flange. If I can swap then for eachother, then that way I'll be able to run my stock driveshaft instead of searching and waiting for a SC400 driveshaft. I would like know know ASAP please.

Thanks,

-Zeeshaun
Old 09-16-09, 02:14 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that's a good question!!! lol i would think you should be able to swap them over.
Don't quote me on that one.
Old 09-16-09, 02:45 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Damn that's a good question!!! lol i would think you should be able to swap them over.
Don't quote me on that one.
Well, I'm pretty sure it will swap over. I'm worried about the length of the output shaft itself. I know for a fact that the tailshaft off of a Supra TT Auto wont work on the Aristo TT Auto trans because it it too short and the only way to make a Supra TT tailshaft to work is to cut down the output shaft on the Aristo trans about an inch. I dont want to mess with stuff like that.

I'm assuming since the SC300 wheels base is longer, the tailshaft will probably be the right length to accept the output shaft inside the Aristo trans, not sure though and I dont to waste time wrenching on this if it's not going to end up working. I have other things to finish "swap wise". Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Any input is appreciated.
-Zeeshaun
Old 09-16-09, 11:34 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

already tried it, talked to a friend that does transmission, you can swap it but it will require the transmission getting ripped apart. Best bet would be sc400 driveshaft for 89 dollars.
Old 09-17-09, 02:32 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1siksc
already tried it, talked to a friend that does transmission, you can swap it but it will require the transmission getting ripped apart. Best bet would be sc400 driveshaft for 89 dollars.
Well, that is the reason I asked. I do not want to start to disassemble anything just to have to end up tearing the whole tranny apart.

But since you say you have tried it, can you tell me why you had to tear apart the tranny? I just dont see why you would have to. From what i understand (in my head), all you would have to do is remove the SC300 tailshaft swap it over to the Aristo GTE tranny. I know that the SC300 tailshaft is longer than the Supra TT tailshaft (auto trans) so i would not have to cut or grind the output shaft like the MKIV guys. It just makes perfect sense to me.

I would like to know for my own knowledge though, where my theory is incorrect. I still feel as though my question remains inconclusive with only two replies, anyone else care to chime in?

Also if i may ask the above poster, where did you find a SC400 driveshaft for $89? The cheapest i could find was $110 shipped. Im trying to be as efficient as possible with my money...it is starting to run low .

Thanks,

-Zeeshaun

Last edited by jdmJZA70; 09-17-09 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 10:32 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

ouch! I know money is such a pain when you work making a little under 9 dollars an hour. haha<Laugh of depression. I picked it up from a junk yard, it was a nice long drive but worth it! carparts.com and search for it that place rocks!

I have a pic of why it wouldn't work, let me find it and ill post it up.
Old 09-17-09, 10:43 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

This is all I could find on my photo bucket. I did take the Aristo off, but I can't find the pic

As you can see the tailshaft goes inside of the tranmission housing, when I ripped apart my n/a trans to bring to a metal recycler, BIGGEST PAIN! Never again. lol