Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 01:48 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change questions

I recently bought my 94 SC300 with the 2JZ-GE motor and I need to change the oil, BADLY. The guy that owned it before me last changed the oil in March of this year! That was about 6 months ago! Not to mention, I just drove it across the country from Texas to Maryland to get it back home, so the oil DEFINITELY needs a changing! Quick question I have for you guys since my car didn't come with an owner's manual. How much oil does my 2JZ-GE motor take? I'm pretty sure it's 5 quarts but I may be wrong. Can anyone help me on this?

Also, I picked up a FRAM high mileage oil filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 Fully Synthetic for my SC. Anyone know if thats a good oil to run and if it makes a difference in fuel economy or not? I have 112K miles on my 94 SC.

I searched for these questions but couldn't find any answers on this forum or google either. Any help? Thanks.
Old 09-13-09, 02:21 AM
2700$oarer
Rookie

i could of sworn the oil cap says 5w30. why are you using such a thin oil? especially on a car that is not new or running turbo. stick with what is recommended. i use regular shell 5w30 oil 4 quarts and lucas oil stabilizer 1 quart, plus a larger filter.
Old 09-13-09, 07:20 AM
ep9716
Rookie

0w-30 Are you crazy?

It's not a new car with 20k Miles..I use 10w40 On my 1jz..I think you should use 5w-30 or 10w-30..
Old 09-13-09, 01:06 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

for those who question 0W-30 as being an oil that is too thin, please get some popcorn and read the following

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

to the original poster: the car takes a little over 5 quarts (i just did one on mine and it took about 5.3ish). I would also run some engine cleaner in there like seafoam or something just to clean up the extra gunk buildup for running a car with that kind of oil for so long. How many miles did the last owner put on the car during those 6 months? if it's not a lot you should be okay, but if he drove it everyday then be careful. I just saw what happens when a car's oil isn't changed for an entire YEAR of driving and it ain't pretty.

One more thing to note: don't use the Fram filters. They are made of cardboard on the inside and are pieces of junk. Using that kind of filter with such a good motor oil is like pairing a beautiful diamond with a turd. Get a mobil 1, wix, K&N, or even a toyota filter. Much better than the fram that you're putting in there.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763
Old 09-14-09, 02:41 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay, I originally put 5 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic in and that wasn't enough oil when I checked the dipstick. So, I went out and bought another quart and put half of it in and it seemed to level out and show that the oil was full after adding the extra half quart. Also, I added a bottle of that STP Oil Treatment stuff, and it seems to work pretty good. I was kind of confused though because I was always told that adding too little or too much oil to a motor is bad for it and could potentially blow the motor; so if I added that 15 oz. bottle of oil treatment to my crankcase on top of the already 5.5 quarts in there, wouldn't that be bad? Isn't that like the same thing as adding more oil than the motor can handle? I didn't really understand how that part worked but the STP oil treatment bottle said add the whole 15 oz. bottle to 4-5 quarts oil and that's all you have to do. Can anyone clarify this? Just seemed a little odd to me lol.
Old 09-14-09, 03:30 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

To get proper level with additives an easy way to do it is, put in a quart or two of engine oil in, put in the additive and then put in the rest of the oil until at proper level.
Old 09-14-09, 03:35 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

you are correct in that it's bad to overfill or underfill engine oil. Preferably you want to have it a tad underfilled as overfilling it leads to more catostrophic failure. Just pop off the drain plug for a few seconds and see if that levels things off.

As for the additive treatment, it may already mix in with the motor oil that already exists. If you doubt anything, just go by the dipstick level as your point of reference.
Old 09-14-09, 08:55 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

So adding the 15 oz. of STP Oil Treatment won't hurt my motor even though there is already 5.5 quarts of oil in my crankcase? Adding that oil treatment isn't like the same thing as adding an extra 15 oz. of oil to the motor? (i.e. overfilling the motor with oil) What does the oil treatment do anyway and do you guys think those oil additive things such as the STP brand work well/are worth buying?