Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz Intercooler options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 02:22 PM
SCSleeper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1jz Intercooler options?

Looking to upgrade my intercooler and intake piping on my stock auto 1jz. It is old and cracked so figure might as well take the next step unless there are replacement aftermarket intake and intercooler hose kits out there.

So, I am looking for either:

1. Stock replacement hoses and clamps for intake and intercooler (aftermarket made of aluminum or SS).

Or if 1 is expensive, then upgrade intercooler completely which means:

2. Bolt on front mount intercooler/intake kit (no modifications needed).
a. Does the supra intercoolers bolt right in?
b. How are the ebay intercoolers - they look pretty good and cheap.

Looking for an economical choice so please not high end super expensive intercooler options. Thanks much!
Old 09-07-09, 02:27 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running an Ebay intercooler and a universal piping kit on mine. The intercooler is decent quality and was only 100 bucks, and the piping was another hundred or so. It took about a full day of work to cut the pipes and figure them all out, but the result was pretty decent for the amount of money I spent. I couldn't justify spending $500+ on a freaking intercooler.
Old 09-07-09, 04:57 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing the same as OneJay.
Old 09-07-09, 11:45 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah i couldn't settle for the ebay kit. Im running BL Intercooler and def worth it IMO. Bolted right on with slight mods to A/C compressor (relocated 2 inches up...took like 30 seconds). Ah but im Na-T so yah...im planning on boosting around 20psi in the near future after some engine mods (gaskets, studs, etc...)
Old 09-08-09, 08:06 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Dont buy an ebay intercooler. They may "look" good but they dont work. There is a post on supraforums about ebay v name brand intercoolers. It turns out the ebay ones run like 80-110 degrees (cant remember if its c or f) hotter. So you are better off saving your money on a quality used intercooler.

Or if you want a kinda cheep good intercooler get the 750hp Precision Intercooler

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-08-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-08-09, 08:23 AM
Dark_Eric
Driver

Ok not to thread hijack but this may be the best thread to ask this question. First my SC400 was totaled, now I'm looking for an SC300 and I want to turbo the car. I got good pricing on each, both are auto trans. Here are my options:

A) 1997 SC300 or B) 1998 SC300 vvt-i.

Which one should I buy, and whats the best and easiest turbo option for it? Should I do a complete swap, and if so which motor should I get/swap in IF I'm going to do a swap or should I do NA-Turbo? (BTW I've seen about 6 different Toyota/Supra/Aristo motors). Last hurdle, the car must pass NJ State Emissions Inspection.

Please help, because I've been searching and could not get a definite answer and I'm looking at buying one of the vehicles this week, thanks.
Old 09-08-09, 08:26 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^Ryeno are you serious man ?lol i am running ebay intercooler,one of my buddy been using his for the last 4years and making over 600 RWHP!!!
Do You have any proof?

Dark Eric you did not search enough my friend! lol and you are posting in the Wrong Section.
I would buy the 97 and go Na-T

Last edited by 99SC42; 09-08-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-08-09, 08:36 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by quickGS300
^Ryeno are you serious man ?lol i am running ebay intercooler,one of my buddy been using his for the last 4years and making over 600 RWHP!!!
Do You have any proof?

Dark Eric you did not search enough my friend! lol and you are posting in the Wrong Section.
I would buy the 97 and go Na-T
You can easily have a sh|tty intercooler and still make power. I cant remember the person but i think it was Earl3 or something who used probes to actually test the pre air and post air temps. Needless to say the ebays kits "looked" fine but preformed horribly compared to the legit coolers like greddy.

As to the guy above, buy the 97 sc, its better for a turbo kit since the ge vvt-i was weaker internals but i doubt a na-t kit would be legal. If you want to gte swap the car, well the problem is atleast in CA you need an engine =/newer then the car for it to be legal. So with either a 97 or 98, good luck finding a 2jz-gte =/newer then those years engine.

Last edited by Ryeno; 09-08-09 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-08-09, 08:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
You can easily have a sh|tty intercooler and still make power. I cant remember the person but i think it was Earl3 or something who used probes to actually test the pre air and post air temps. Needless to say the ebays kits "looked" fine but preformed horribly compared to the legit coolers like greddy.

As to the guy above, buy the 97 sc, its better for a turbo kit since the ge vvt-i was weaker internals but i doubt a na-t kit would be legal. If you want to gte swap the car, well the problem is atleast in CA you need an engine =/newer then the car for it to be legal. So with either a 97 or 98, good luck finding a 2jz-gte =/newer then those years engine.
Can you post actual numbers of what ebay intercoolers had vs. name brand to back your of 80-110 degrees hotter claim?

OP I think they sell actual kits on ebay now with core and piping for less than $500. I know someone running one with no issues and he's around 500rwhp.
Old 09-08-09, 08:49 AM
Ryeno
Banned

search supraforums and you will find the post actually comparing them. Altho the problem with comparing "ebay" intercoolers is that they are not all made equal.
Old 09-08-09, 09:24 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Everything doesn't work well for everyone ,because we are all different.
Some says Walbro doesn't work well, works prefect me and if you go on supraforums you see members that are complaining about Walbro Pumps.
I don't believe that crap if i don't see a chart and People to back it up.
Old 09-08-09, 09:31 AM
Ryeno
Banned

nope their is a chart and a lot of data. Like i said i saw it myself but was when i ran windows so all my old links are gone

I wonder how many people running ebay ICs or even ICs in general have tested them out. Not just a 2 min dyno run but actual highway pulls. Any IC can work good for a few min but its prolonged strain that really shows the weakness of the cheap knockoffs.
Old 09-08-09, 09:46 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ok how do you explain someone making over 600rwhp on an ebay IC and piping?
I don't really care about brand when it's come IC and piping and there is a reason behind it, i just want one that will get the job done W/o breaking the Bank.
Old 09-08-09, 09:52 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Ok how do you explain someone making over 600rwhp on an ebay IC and piping?
luck? hasnt broken yet? welded it up/patched it when he bought it? and even then it wont be working as well as good name brand one
I don't really care about brand when it's come IC and piping and there is a reason behind it, i just want one that will get the job done W/o breaking the Bank.
at the end of the day you get what you pay for
Old 09-08-09, 10:07 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

lol ok man.

I know that ! and expensive doesn't always mean the best .

Quick Reply: 1jz Intercooler options?