Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Shifter question: w58 into 92 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 11:05 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shifter question: w58 into 92 SC300

I've done alot of reading on the swap already, but one thing I cant get set in stone is the shifter....I have a MK3 w58, with its stock shifter....

I've read in a couple places that the 92-94's can use this shifter just fine, and in other threads I've seen people say to get the MKIV w58 or SC300 tranny in order for the shifter to line up properly...

Anyone have the scoop on whats needed....worse come to worse, can I not just buy the MKIV or SC300 shifter from Toyota/Lexus and bolt it on, or are the shift forks different? (and can they be swapped with the shifter to make it work on the MK3 tranny)

I also have the front half of the MK3 driveshaft....I read something about combining it with the auto SC rear driveshaft section...is it straight bolt together and go, or are they talking about using the flanges from both and having a custom one made?

Basicly I need a swap guru....or a forum full of them...haha

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions...
Old 09-08-09, 06:51 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Bump............
Old 12-04-09, 04:05 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I heard was if you have a 95 w58 tranny, it'll bolt up to the 94mkiv na. The sc300 from 92-94 has different shifter location than 95+ sc's. I'm probably not even answering your question because I'm just throwing any info about what I know on the w58 swap, but hope you can sort it out. I'm actually planning on doing the swap on my auto 98vvti sc400, but not sure if my 95 sc300 5spd tranny would work? I think it should though. My guess is if you have a mkiii tranny, the shifter should end up right around the cigarette lighter area, Lol.. I also wanted to find out if the I need a bell housing if I'm using a 5spd tranny that came off of the 95sc300?
Old 12-04-09, 05:27 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

^If you have a jz engine the bellhousing will bolt up just fine...Since I started this thread I've now got a MKIV shifter, and I can tell you that it's not a bolt-on-and-go affair...Looks like i'll need a MKIV tailhousing and selector shaft in order to make this work.
Old 12-04-09, 05:43 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gspec
^If you have a jz engine the bellhousing will bolt up just fine...Since I started this thread I've now got a MKIV shifter, and I can tell you that it's not a bolt-on-and-go affair...Looks like i'll need a MKIV tailhousing and selector shaft in order to make this work.
My bad I thought you had a sc400. You should be able to get numerous info on a 2jz manual swap. Good luck!
Old 12-04-09, 06:03 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Also, I was just thinking, wouldn't my sc300 5spd w58 housing be useful for you? It's not for me because I have to use the existing v8 bell housing with an adapter plate.
Old 12-04-09, 06:08 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

You would think I could, but I've only come across vague references with long deleted pics when it come to my MKIV shifter on a MK3 issues...And I bought a 2jz-w58 bell housing from a local(ish) SC400 guy who just finished his w58 swap.
Old 12-05-09, 12:48 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Found this website, but it's also a little vague on the shifter swaps...or maybe its just as easy as they make it out to be and I simply need to swap the shifter yoke to a MKIV unit...I'd still have to make a bracket to hold the lower mounts on the MKIV shifter if I don't use a MKIV tail housing...

http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Tech/Toyota-boxes.php
Old 04-05-13, 04:55 PM
1slowsc
Driver

Originally Posted by Gspec
I've done alot of reading on the swap already, but one thing I cant get set in stone is the shifter....I have a MK3 w58, with its stock shifter....

I've read in a couple places that the 92-94's can use this shifter just fine, and in other threads I've seen people say to get the MKIV w58 or SC300 tranny in order for the shifter to line up properly...

Anyone have the scoop on whats needed....worse come to worse, can I not just buy the MKIV or SC300 shifter from Toyota/Lexus and bolt it on, or are the shift forks different? (and can they be swapped with the shifter to make it work on the MK3 tranny)

I also have the front half of the MK3 driveshaft....I read something about combining it with the auto SC rear driveshaft section...is it straight bolt together and go, or are they talking about using the flanges from both and having a custom one made?

Basicly I need a swap guru....or a forum full of them...haha

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions...
Im Also tried searching with all different answers. My car is a 1992 sc300 w58 with goose neck. My main concern is getting shifter in correct place.
-Do I buy a mk3 w58 gooseneck or sc/mk4 tripod transmission for my 1992 sc300? (probably wont find a 92-94 sc w58)
-Is the mk3 w58 gooseneck interchangeable with my original gooseneck?
-Is the sc/mk4 tripod interchangeable with my original gooseneck?
-Is the sc/mk4 tailend interchangeable with my original gooseneck tail end?
-What Is needed to make a tripod shifter work in my 92 sc? maybe cut tunnel?

Last edited by 1slowsc; 04-05-13 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 09:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The shifter housings I can't comment on. I could be wrong but I thought the SC/MKIV extended shifter housing for 92-94 W58's only required the internal rod(?) and may reuse the original shifter. I can't be of further help there.

Now there may be a difference in the trans tunnels between 92-94 and 95+ SC's. Stay with me here: The tripods for V160's require either a cut trans tunnel or the ordering of a trans tunnel section for 93-98 Supra 6-speeds and I have heard that there is a similar fitment issue with later (95+) R154's with the tripod setup. SO, given that logic, a W58 with a tripod setup might also require similar trans tunnel modification.

Apart from cutting, that tunnel part requires a bit or work to put in properly. There is a V160 swap thread that covers the process extensively.
Old 04-06-13, 02:45 PM
1slowsc
Driver

If i were to get a 95+ sc/mk4 w58 to fit a 92 sc300, all i need is to cut tunnel a bit? Will they come out at same location in center console? I still would rather not cut so does anyone know if shifter is interchangeable between 92 w58 and a 95+ w58.